• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Young) child friendly suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Young) child friendly suggestions?

Hi All,

We're off to the W Med next Saturday! We've been looking at the Princess excursion options, all the excursions are (predictable pricey!), and all rather "adult focussed".... Not the sort of thing to keep our kids (10mths, and 5yrs) entertained. So we're wondering what people would suggest we could do to keep them amused?

Ports of call, and our thoughts so far....

Barcelona has an aquarium, so that's a good option?
    Ajaccio we're thinking probably just have a bit of a mooch etc?
    Rome - no idea, probably just stay in Civi, since Rome might be a bit too hot/busy for the kids liking. Thinking they are a bit young to for us to try to explain the Coliseum!
    Livorno - we DO want to get to Pisa for the eldest to see... So might have to bite the bullet and do the organised excursion - but open to people's thoughts on getting there from Livorno independently..
    Genoa - no idea! Help?!?
    Marseille - Hubby has been to Cassis before, and thought that might be nice for the kids (lovely beach as he recalls) - but again open to suggestions and thoughts on the travel
    Gibraltar - Can anything beat the caves and monkeys for kids?!?

Many thanks!

Amanda!

Welcome to the forum.

My daughter, SIL and Grandchildren - 5 & 2 1/2 are going on the same cruise.

The dynamics for a family that includes young children is certainly different than for a couple.

Barcelona - They would probably enjoy Gaudi's Park Gúell with it's bright colours and quirky buildings. Also, the beach is excellent in Barcelona. The HOHO is very popular and saves a lot of walking - if they are bored you can move on.

Ajaccio - Probably to do as you say and have a general mooch.

Rome - I don't know about your son but my grandson can't wait to go to the Coliseum! Because of the obvious challenges with a young family they have booked a private van for a Rome tour.

Livorno - Again this is another call that many couples would travel to Florence and / or Pisa via train. The route to do this is not one I would recommend with a young family - the Leaning Tower is quite a long distance from the train station. Again either a private tour or ship's tour probably best.

Genoa has a nice old town which is a bit of a hike from the port (possible taxi) but not sure about keeping thekids happy.

Marseille - Hubby can sort that one!

Gibraltar - Tour of the Rock and caves from the port would probably be best (about £20 each). Just make sure thay don't have anything loose or holding ice creams / crisps whilst on the rock or the apes will take possession.

Have a great cruise and don't forget the review afterwards.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't add to Harry's suggestions, other than Ajaccio has a hoho bus close to the port, a small market and we had a wander round and a coffee.

Have a great cruise, I think the apes and caves sounds great for the children and I hope they get to see some dolphins along the Gibraltar straits.

Comment

The best thing about Genoa is that you can get the train to Portofino and/or Santa Margherita, which are well worth a visit. Genoa itself is little to write home about IMO...........Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Welcome to the forum .
          Keeping the children happy will be the key ,try asking them what they fancy?
          You Can walk along the seafront in Genoa They Have an Aquarium and this ship which was used in a film.

Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

Barcelona - Park Guell has been mentioned BUT to get into the main area of the park you now need to advance purchase tickets!. all the park used to be free for everyone but not anymore. Alternatively walk Las Ramblas, right at the top across the Placa Catalyuna keep walking and you will come across a couple of building s with the Gaudi architecture. You can pay to go in but still great to see from the outside, walk back down through the gothic quarter and across to your left you will find a beach.

Ajaccio: This really is easy to do on your own, When you get off the ship there is a lovely traditional french market in the small square, walk to your right and along the pedestrianised street full of lovely shops, head your way back along same street or the main street parallel above it. You will come to a crossroads with a paved park area and if you keep walking straight ahead you will come to a beach.

Rome: If you dont want to go into Rome, Civi has a great market. From the shuttle drop off walk straight ahead then when you get to the little fort take the street up into town on the left, eventually it turns into a pedestrianised area, veer off at some point to the left and up some steps then right you are at the market. In the afternoon from the shuttle drop off keep walking along the sea front for around 15 minutes until you reach the train station. Get on the trian to the next stop no more than 10 mins away to Santa Marinella. There is a lovely beach here and its less than 2 euros each way.

Livorno. Get a taxi or join a tour to the leaning Tower of Pisa. Alternatively Livorno itself is nothing more than a typical busy city with high street shops, but something the children may enjoy is a boat trip around the canals. Where the shuttle drops you off, go into the small shopping arcade and there is a tourist info place where they sell the tickets. I think it runs every hour and lasts around 40-45 mins each trip. Livorno is a walled city and does have a lot of interesting history which is relayed to you on the trip.

Genoa: I think easy enough to just wander around, or take the bus to Santa Marguerita or Portofino however I think with children in their buses you will find it cramped and uncomfortable as they pack people in like sardines. Why not make this a stay on board ship day and let the kids enjoy the pools all to themselves.

Marseille: Its a long way from the ships docking port and a good journey in on the ships shuttle service. They drop you at the square harbour. Right in the top corner you will find a couple of tourist trains that take you on road journey, one goes up to the Notre Dame church and costs 7 euros something I am sure the children would enjoy.

Gib: I havent been for donkeys years so I'll leave that one to others

Comment

Or (probably Genoa) just stay on the ship. Sometimes its nice to use all the ships facilities while everyone else has gone ashore.

Just seen that Bradbury has the same suggestion

Comment

You can buy tickets for Tuscany Bus coaches to Pisa at the tourist office near to the shuttle bus drop off. That's what we did in October last year. I think it was €15 return for adults. The coach leaves just outside the tourist office and drops off at the Pisa coach park which is an easy, flat walk to the Field of Miracles. The journey time Livorno to Pisa is about 40 minutes. I believe coaches leave at 10 am and midday.

Comment

When we were in Livorno earlier this year, there were 8 seater taxis outside the dock gates and we paid 30 euros a couple to Pisa. The driver dropped us off and arranged to pick us up 2 hours later. On the way back he was prepared to drop us in Livorno town for an hour but we went back to the ship. They will mix and match the passengers, so you don't have to be a party of eight - you will just join up with others. We thought it was well worth it!

Comment

Just to add to Bradbury's post above...the Civitavecchia shuttle bus stop has now moved to the bus station on the outskirts of the town and it is quite a long walk to the market. With young children it may be too much and it is easy to get lost if your not familiar with Civi.

Comment

Originally posted by Katharine, U.K. View Post
                      Just to add to Bradbury's post above...the Civitavecchia shuttle bus stop has now moved to the bus station on the outskirts of the town and it is quite a long walk to the market. With young children it may be too much and it is easy to get lost if your not familiar with Civi.
                      I disagree, it couldnt be easier.
                      A slow 15 minute stroll is all it takes to get to the market (unless you have gone the long way round)lol and Civi is so small you cannot really get lost.

If you amble the port shops from where the shuttle drops you, keep walking with the sea on your right (behind the shops) until you reach the area near the fort (where the old shuttle used to stop), cross the road and walk up into town until you reach the pedestrianised area, cut off to the left up the steps and then right - you are in the heart of the market.
                      Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 15th August 2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

There's a waterpark at Civi, called Aquafelix... it's on the city's tourist web.
                        Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                          I disagree, it couldnt be easier.
                          A slow 15 minute stroll is all it takes to get to the market (unless you have gone the long way round)lol and Civi is so small you cannot really get lost.

If you amble the port shops from where the shuttle drops you, keep walking with the sea on your right (behind the shops) until you reach the area near the fort (where the old shuttle used to stop), cross the road and walk up into town until you reach the pedestrianised area, cut off to the left up the steps and then right - you are in the heart of the market.
                          Sorry Bradbury but I disagree with you! 😄 When was the last time you were in Civi? They have moved the shuttle bus stop out of the centre of town and you can't walk by the port shops with the sea on your right anymore. There are all sorts of traffic restrictions and they are redoing the one way system so it's rather chaotic. I was there two weeks ago.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X