• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Dot Podcast - Crete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Dot Podcast - Crete

David Broad, (davidb@cruise.co.uk), put together this short Podcast on Crete the other day, (as he lived there for a few years as a young man), so I thought I'd share it all with you.

What do you think? Useful? Informative?

Not a bad effort David and James but I'd suggest that after a quick introduction showing the speaker you should then just use his voice as a narrative over computer graphics to show on a map where you are talking about i.e. the two ports and each of the places being recommended as excursion destinations together with photos of the sights to be seen at each. This requires some skills with video editing software and time to pull the various elements together but the end result is well worth it.

Comment

Haha, that was the plan Trevor but it turned out in all his time in Crete David managed to take the sum total of zero photos and we didn't really just want to take random ones from the internet.

Comment

Ok - is the video all of David B speaking?? sorry doesn't work for me. Look at the Gary Bembridge video podcasts and you will see what I mean.

Trevor expressed it much better than I did.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by James, Cruise.co.uk View Post
          Haha, that was the plan Trevor but it turned out in all his time in Crete David managed to take the sum total of zero photos and we didn't really just want to take random ones from the internet.
          Aha ... great minds and all that. You could always ask the forum members for some missing photos I'm sure we could stump some up if you tell us what you want? Not sure about the vultures above the gorge though but there again I'm sure Solent Richard has one as he's got everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
            Aha ... great minds and all that. You could always ask the forum members for some missing photos I'm sure we could stump some up if you tell us what you want? Not sure about the vultures above the gorge though but there again I'm sure Solent Richard has one as he's got everything else.
            Sorry Trevor - I am going to disagree with you here. I don't think photos in a video podcast will cut it. Same as photos of a ship in a brochure - so last century.

I go to Youtube or Vimeo for ship videos or videos of places I wish to vsit.

Annie

Comment

Sorry to be direct, but I doubt if the Podcast will work well for anybody! It's not just about content, it's also about presentation.

1) Being a 'TV' present is an incredibly difficult job an few people have the skill, that why those that do get paid a small fortune. Being fluent, relaxed and captivating is a very rare skill.

2) A talking head to camera, without any visual aids (as David had done) for over 4 minutes (a lifetime in media) would be challenging for a professional to maintain interest. Youtube is a visual moving media and there nothing to look here, at apart from David and he does not look entirely comfortable.

3) David's voice-over put to relevant images (or moving images) and maps etc. would have been more interesting. In fact I did some surfing while I listened to him and it actually worked better for me.

A very brave attempt, but sorry, you cannot easily compete with the BBC etc.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                Sorry to be direct, but I doubt if the Podcast will work well for anybody! It's not just about content, it's also about presentation.

1) Being a 'TV' present is an incredibly difficult job an few people have the skill, that why those that do get paid a small fortune. Being fluent, relaxed and captivating is a very rare skill.

2) A talking head to camera, without any visual aids (as David had done) for over 4 minutes (a lifetime in media) would be challenging for a professional to maintain interest. Youtube is a visual moving media and there nothing to look here, at apart from David and he does not look entirely comfortable.

3) David's voice-over put to relevant images (or moving images) and maps etc. would have been more interesting. In fact I did some surfing while I listened to him and it actually worked better for me.

A very brave attempt, but sorry, you cannot easily compete with the BBC etc.
                Maybe an audio podcast then?? However there are many on the market.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  Sorry Trevor - I am going to disagree with you here. I don't think photos in a video podcast will cut it. Same as photos of a ship in a brochure - so last century.

I go to Youtube or Vimeo for ship videos or videos of places I wish to vsit.

Annie
                  Agreed Annie but you can animate photos as well so there is movement using zoom and panning techniques so they won't be static and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                    Just don't ask AhoyThereHolly for any.

cheers
                    Harvey

Comment

I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Presenting to camera won't come naturally to most and unless they've had prior media training, it's baptism by fire.

Well done for taking the plunge and take on board all tips offered.

Comment

Everyone has to start somewhere, if I were David I wouldn't want to do another with all the negativity , everyone is not an expert when it comes to this sort of thing well done for attempting it .CG
                        sigpic

Comment

Not a bad start but some pictures or graphics would have helped , people tend to remember pictures easier than a spoken word....Taffy
                          ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                            Not a bad start but some pictures or graphics would have helped , people tend to remember pictures easier than a spoken word....Taffy
                            Well I agree.

Maybe you can spread the word through the principality Taffy and I'll spread it in England.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                              Ok - is the video all of David B speaking?? sorry doesn't work for me. Look at the Gary Bembridge video podcasts and you will see what I mean.

Trevor expressed it much better than I did.

Annie

Hmnnnn.

When did we get the treat of a few photographs from Annie instead of all the chat?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X