• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danger in parts of Mexico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danger in parts of Mexico

There are reports that the gangs who have ruined Acapulco as a pleasure resort and virtually shut it down are now being replicated in Cancun. These gangs attacks are aimed at traders, dealers and taxi drivers who do not pay for “protection” and the general public have been killed as well during these episodes.

American have been warned by the US Tourist authorities and by their government against going there but there has been little, that I have noticed anyway, in our press and tv coverage. I have to admit that I came across it on a tv documentary but not a prominent one.

We have enjoyed Acapulco and Cancun over the years and am now saddened by the fact that Acapulco is now a “no-go” area with Cancun now reaching a similar status.

I expect that I might be behind with my information but I would just like to spread the notice of danger around in case some of you are unaware. ….Neil

Six years ago, our SF to NY cruise missed out Cabo San Lucas due to local unrest, although this was quashed quite quickly and we have since enjoyed visits there. I hate Acapulco and wouldn't go ashore there again. My friend, a business woman, who lived in Cancun for years has recently relocated back to USA because she no longer felt secure in Cancun. I hope a zero tolerance policy is adopted and we can have our Mexico ports back.

Comment

Over the last few weeks I have been watching a couple of photography vloggers who have been travelling around Mexico. A couple of days ago they posted their last Vlogs before leaving Mexico. At the end of the first link below, the blogger explains that at no time did they feel threatened in Mexico and found everybody they met so friendly

https://youtu.be/ztjJa_6CHd0

They have been travelling with friends who now live in Mexico, who have also made a video of 6 tips to travelling safely in Mexico.

https://youtu.be/ERI0FrL3JeU

This is their Vlog posted today on you tube, taken on Christmas Eve in Mexico

https://youtu.be/DSJJQ9zVNYM
      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 31st December 2017, 03:18 PM.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Delboy, I am not saying that the whole of Mexico is a no go area but after some research I found that there were loads of warnings concerning the two places I have mentioned, Cancun and Acapulco. These warnings had appeared in many UK newspapers as well as the TV programme I saw.

Forewarned is forearmed and I am just putting this out because I feel it could be a matter of concern to visiting cruisers and that is we are.

The guy on the TV said that Acapulco was an extremely dangerous area now and Cancun was getting to be that way; if people are unaware they can't make a choice, it they know they can choose. ......Neil

Comment

At the end of 2017 I did a Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro cruise. A letter was delivered to every cabin warning of the dangers of becoming a victim of crime in Buenos Aires, one of the ports of call. Then another letter was delivered about similar problems in Rio. Those wearing expensive watches, especially Rolex, were told to keep them hidden or to remove them. The slum area of Rio is apparently a no-go area even for the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike48, Southampton View Post
            At the end of 2017 I did a Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro cruise. A letter was delivered to every cabin warning of the dangers of becoming a victim of crime in Buenos Aires, one of the ports of call. Then another letter was delivered about similar problems in Rio. Those wearing expensive watches, especially Rolex, were told to keep them hidden or to remove them. The slum area of Rio is apparently a no-go area even for the police.
            I loved the Favelas but accept that not all favelas are the same.

In BA all the locals carry their backpacks to the front of themselves.

Annie
            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 2nd January 2018, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Thought those of you who like Mexico may enjoy this Vlog posted on you tube today by Jodie. Together with her boyfriend who is a landscape photographer they travel all round the World taking photo's and videos. Jodie is fairly new to vlogging having recently given up a full time job in the UK to join her boyfriend, I have been following her bf Vlogs for a few months now.

This Vlog was taken in Chiapas Mexico.

https://youtu.be/nCslgd2gg0E
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I am using this thread rather than open a new one to say:-

"The island nation’s government issued a state of emergency Thursday for the St. James Parish area, which includes Montego Bay. Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness said the military lockdown is due to a recent spike in criminal activity, prompting the deployment of troops."

The UK and the US authorities have issued a strong warning that those visiting Montego Bay area in Jamaica should not leave their hotels and stay in the hotel grounds. If they want to use a tour it should be one organised by the Hotel or their travel group as there have been an enormous amount of shootings and deaths in that area. Troops are driving around the main streets and the murder rate is currently very high.

Now I know that ships visiting Montego Bay will be filled with people wishing to tour this really beautiful island and using the ship's tours will be fine , I am pretty sure that using the taxis inside the guarded/fenced docking area will also be ok because they are registered but walking outside the port and using taxis outside the port area should probably be avoided, those outside have always been a bit suspect so stay safe.

The area of Ocho Rios is regarded as safe but just be aware the Jamaica is a danderous island so be street-wise. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                  I am using this thread rather than open a new one to say:-

"The island nation’s government issued a state of emergency Thursday for the St. James Parish area, which includes Montego Bay. Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness said the military lockdown is due to a recent spike in criminal activity, prompting the deployment of troops."

The UK and the US authorities have issued a strong warning that those visiting Montego Bay area in Jamaica should not leave their hotels and stay in the hotel grounds. If they want to use a tour it should be one organised by the Hotel or their travel group as there have been an enormous amount of shootings and deaths in that area. Troops are driving around the main streets and the murder rate is currently very high.

Now I know that ships visiting Montego Bay will be filled with people wishing to tour this really beautiful island and using the ship's tours will be fine , I am pretty sure that using the taxis inside the guarded/fenced docking area will also be ok because they are registered but walking outside the port and using taxis outside the port area should probably be avoided, those outside have always been a bit suspect so stay safe.

The area of Ocho Rios is regarded as safe but just be aware the Jamaica is a danderous island so be street-wise. .....Neil
                  A Jamaica thread was opened by Taffy.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    A Jamaica thread was opened by Taffy.

Annie
                    Thank you Annie ....Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy