• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want from a Caribbean cruise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you want from a Caribbean cruise?

Having been lucky enough to be here for 3 months this time and 3 months to come, plus 5 cruises previously of 2 weeks duration all with P&O, I'm struck by just how many folks come back year after year. Myself I love the light and sunshine when at home its dark autumn/winter. What drives you? What keeps you coming back? Plus what new ideas would entice you back? Are you put off by the need P&O have to drive down prices to attract customers? I'm unsure about this. I tend to accept P&O for what it does. I manage their offering rather than it being exactly what I want. Do You? or do you book and try to get it to match your expectations?

From July I will switch to Britannia for 12 months just to see what is there and blend in 4 trips on Oceana Rivera recommended by the personal experience of my travel agent Jane. Really since finding her I won't do anything without her approval she is great, really knows her customers and works so hard for them. I have every confidence in her expertise.

So in summary Caribbean what makes it a destination of you and what would break that?

The sunshine,easy as that! Jan.

Comment

I've only been once, last year, and loved it and will definitely be back. The sun, the clear sea, the beautiful beaches, the views, the people, the rum punch, it was all amazing........................................... .................................................. ............Carol

Comment

Not all that thrilled with the Caribbean. It's too hot and humid for me to be there very long. The best bit is getting off the plane to blue sky and sunshine, a night in a good hotel, then join the ship for lunch. I love the trip back to Barcelona.

Comment

Originally posted by CCpm, Northampton View Post
          So in summary Caribbean what makes it a destination of you and what would break that?
          Sorry to be negative, but I require interesting a varied ports of call from a cruise and I've not found any in the Caribbean yet.

I would definitely explore other cruise lines than P&O if I were you. I'm not suggesting that they are bad, but in my opinion there are better!
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I love all the Caribbean Islands, some more that others. I am a snorkeler so if the snorkelling is good I am happy and never board! CCpm I looked out for you on P&O I think that the only port we saw a P&O ship was in Barbados and she was too far away for me to be able to scrutinise the passengers on their balconies, not that I know whom I am looking for!
            The Balmoral cruise had a wonderful itinerary and that is why we chose to travel on her! Overnight in Cuba was the icing on the cake! I hope you are having a good time. We are off round South America on the Black Watch on the 6th Jan so will be back in the Caribbean from 26th Feb on our journey back to UK so will keep the eyes peeled for P&O!
            Fred Olsen have some very cleaver ways of cutting back costs, things like no little bags of toiletries unless you ask for them, packs of biscuits on the cabin tea tray no longer provided they went years ago. Crockery no longer Wedgwood bone china looks the same but cheaper version. No flowers round ship now apples suspended in water in large glass flower vases (don't get this as not very pretty reminds me of human organs in formaldehyde from time I worked in a Path lab many years ago) The flowers on the restaurant tables are those funny white things that seem to live for ever. Fred no longer provides a free bus from rail stations to the ship. All these little things add up to saving so that they can provide cheaper cruises and truly I don't mind these changes I can live with them as long as I can still keep cruising and the fantastic service the crew provide never changes!

Comment

We have been to many of the Caribean islands on land based holidays as well as on cruise ships. I love the warm sunshine and the balmy evenings when you can walk about with bare arms and not feel cold. I love the beat of Caribbean music and danci in the open air to a steel band. I love to walk barefoot along the beatiful palm fringed beaches feeling the warm sand between my toes. It is a great area for cruising as the ships can dock close to town on many of the islands. I love to wander around the markets selling locally made crafts and paintings.

Comment

Originally posted by CCpm, Northampton View Post
                Having been lucky enough to be here for 3 months this time and 3 months to come, plus 5 cruises previously of 2 weeks duration all with P&O, I'm struck by just how many folks come back year after year. Myself I love the light and sunshine when at home its dark autumn/winter. What drives you? What keeps you coming back? Plus what new ideas would entice you back? Are you put off by the need P&O have to drive down prices to attract customers? I'm unsure about this. I tend to accept P&O for what it does. I manage their offering rather than it being exactly what I want. Do You? or do you book and try to get it to match your expectations?

From July I will switch to Britannia for 12 months just to see what is there and blend in 4 trips on Oceana Rivera recommended by the personal experience of my travel agent Jane. Really since finding her I won't do anything without her approval she is great, really knows her customers and works so hard for them. I have every confidence in her expertise.

CCpm, Did you mean to write 'Oceania Riviera'? Easy to confuse with P&O Oceana. The two cruise lines are poles apart and given the choice I know which line I would prefer to sail with and it wouldn't be P&O. Enjoy your cruises on board Riviera.
                Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 23rd December 2014, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Just a nice warm winter sunshine holiday ,We preferred to Fly out and sail back to UK so got some winter sun and some nice sea days on the way back.
                  We did our first few cruises round the Caribbean visiting some beautiful Islands and got hooked on cruising ...Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

not cruised the carribean but had a few hotel based holidays, I would like to see a southampton bassed 4 week cruise round the islands. To include Cayman, Dutch Antilles and the usual leeward and windward set.

Comment

Yes Oceania Rivera is the one I meant, Intending to book some 2 week cruises on there next year to have a look see to start with. I have been on P and O Oceania once but it didn't fit what I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                        Sorry to be negative, but I require interesting a varied ports of call from a cruise and I've not found any in the Caribbean yet.

I would definitely explore other cruise lines than P&O if I were you. I'm not suggesting that they are bad, but in my opinion there are better!

Totally agree and of course the casual crime and violence. Having lived in three capitals over a period of 9 years - nothing would get me back

Comment

Have done three carib. cruises and thoroughly enjoyed them but the main drawback was the need to travel from the ship to get to beautiful beaches and scenery so I'm now going on land-based holidays instead..just back from Mauritius, which gave us everything we loved about the carib. and then some! however, would love to go back to the carib. on a smaller charter or rigged ship where you could visit smaller ports and jump straight into the sea!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X