• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for Casablanca

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Hi all
    I believe the original (as Wilba said) Rick's Bar was in the Hyatt Regency hotel,,,,i don't know if it's still there?
    A new stand alone one called Rick's Cafe opened in 2004.

    Personally on a first visit i would take the ships tour,,,,you will see more,,,,the Arab side of the city and the Western side with its beaches and international hotels,,,in one of these they usually stop for a cup of the local mint tea.
    The Hassan II mosque,,,local market (Urgh!!,if you like watching cats walking over the meat stalls) and of course the Medina/Souk.

    There is some nice green spaces in Casablanca but better a taxi tour to see them,,,,,get the Red taxi,,,,the White taxi will make you wait until he fills his taxi,,,,,taxi's are dirt cheap.

    ps There is no way i would walk through the docks into the city......
    A photo of Casablanca Marina from the ship.........

    JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
      Hi all
      I believe the original (as Wilba said) Rick's Bar was in the Hyatt Regency hotel,,,,i don't know if it's still there?
      A new stand alone one called Rick's Cafe opened in 2004.

      Personally on a first visit i would take the ships tour,,,,you will see more,,,,the Arab side of the city and the Western side with its beaches and international hotels,,,in one of these they usually stop for a cup of the local mint tea.
      The Hassan II mosque,,,local market (Urgh!!,if you like watching cats walking over the meat stalls) and of course the Medina/Souk.

      There is some nice green spaces in Casablanca but better a taxi tour to see them,,,,,get the Red taxi,,,,the White taxi will make you wait until he fills his taxi,,,,,taxi's are dirt cheap.

      ps There is no way i would walk through the docks into the city......
      A photo of Casablanca Marina from the ship.........

      JC

      We were advised to do the same when we visited for the first time. Given your personal concerns Duncan, I think it would make sense to take a tour.
      Jill

      Comment


        #18
        That's interesting JC, when others made reference to Rick's Cafe' I assumed they meant Rick's Bar, which was/is definitely in the Hyatt.

        I have tried to recall the date of my last visit to no avail, but I would think it was after 2004..........Wilba
        Wilba

        Comment


          #19
          We visited Casablanca in 2003 and 2004 . The first time, we did a half day tour which included a walking tour of the old town, a visit to the mosque and a drink in Ricks Bar at the Hyatt.
          The mosque is truly wonderful inside and out and you can see it from quite a distance when approaching the port. It was definitely a city of two halves.
          The following year, we decided to brave it and took a cab to the market but felt a bit intimidated and uncomfortable on our own so we cut our trip short and went back to the ship
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

          Comment


            #20
            I went to Casablanca once, but not on a cruise. It was in the late 40s and I would have been 6/7 years old - we were flying to Freetown and stopped over in Casablanca for the night.

            Two things I remember clearly: Some domed houses near the airport; apparently built at the end of the war as emergency housing - they inflated a hemispherical balloon and sprayed concrete over it. Cut holes for door and windows and remove the balloon. They looked like igloos in the bright sunshine.

            The other was the hotel where we stayed. It was very grand, with marble everywhere and wonderfully cool after being outside. My father, who spoke fluent French wanted to order some local speciality for dinner and the waiter just kept saying "Pas de problème". We got steak and chips because he didn't understand a word of what father said and they thought that we were Americans and all Americans wanted steak and chips.
            The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
            T Pratchett.

            Comment


              #21
              Take the shuttle into the main square and wander...I found that not carrying a bag, and saying "pas d'argent!" worked with every street trader.
              We were on the cruise with Jill, and the dock side was filthy- women with strappy sandals were in some distress. Even the P&O women officers, in those white cuban heeled shoes, were having to take cloths to wipe them... the captain was not amused, as we'd been allowed to dock where there'd been a spillage of molasses. (Jill, that captain is now with Saga.)
              The next time we went, the dock was better, but it is a grimy, oily place, so no open-work shoes... that's why the ship's carpets especially in the lifts, are covered with plastic.
              Jo.

              Comment


                #22
                Hi Jo
                Once in Casablanca (Aug 2011) we had the same problem with molasses all over the dock,everywhere covered in polythene sheets.
                Must be a problem on that berth maybe?
                JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi Jo
                  Once in Casablanca (Aug 2011) we had the same problem with molasses all over the dock,everywhere covered in polythene sheets.
                  Must be a problem on that berth maybe?
                  JC
                  The next time we docked, it was slightly better... but still oily and smelly. There are small cranes on rails facing the water, and one of them came loose, trundled down its rails and hit the stern of Ventura, smashing the balcony on deck 14. It took an enormous crowd of people to argue with the captain about what and why... the balcony was mended, but the argument continued.
                  Jo.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Duncan, please go for the ship’s tour of Casablanca. We did the one from NCL Jade and felt that not only were we safer, we had an excellent tour guide who really made the tour of the mosque worthwhile for everyone. My hubby had worked in the Middle East for a while kept saying “la-la”to any and all street vendors who tried to part us from our money. La-la means NO in Arabic btw. That was the trip where the ‘clothing police’ at the entrance of the mosque tried to pull a woman’s top together as she had stupidly ignored the advice regarding necklines in the daily news letter prior to the tour. Fortunately for her another lady had a shawl that she let her borrow for the duration of the mosque tour.

                    Take care, Helen

                    Comment


                      #25
                      As an update to those who gave all of the helpful advice, we have decided to take a private tour in Casablanca. We've booked with a well-reviewed tour guide from ToursByLocals called Mohamed. He seems friendly to email so hopefully we have a good experience. I will definitely report back!
                      Duncan S

                      See my blog!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Hi dst87,

                        I don't know if the following will add anything to your many replies, but I blogged about my recent month-long crossing from Miami to Barcelona with Holland America, which included a call at Casablanca.
                        (Don't worry - you won't need to wade through the whole blog.)
                        You can find the relevant bit as follows:
                        FORUM tab >
                        Other cruiselines >
                        Holland America >
                        Cosying Up To Crocodiles, and Other Memorable Moments
                        Scroll down to - Day 24: Wednesday 04 April 2018

                        J

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by JakTar, Lytham View Post
                          Hi dst87,

                          I don't know if the following will add anything to your many replies, but I blogged about my recent month-long crossing from Miami to Barcelona with Holland America, which included a call at Casablanca.
                          (Don't worry - you won't need to wade through the whole blog.)
                          You can find the relevant bit as follows:
                          FORUM tab >
                          Other cruiselines >
                          Holland America >
                          Cosying Up To Crocodiles, and Other Memorable Moments
                          Scroll down to - Day 24: Wednesday 04 April 2018

                          J
                          Thanks for the link, I shall have a read later on!
                          Duncan S

                          See my blog!

                          Comment


                          We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.


                          By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

                          Working...
                          X