• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camels

Cruising with Ventura in July, stopping off in Gran Canaria and looking at doing the camel ride, has anyone done this before and what did you think of the experience, its our anniversary that day and just want to do something different.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Had a camel ride in Lanzarote several years ago - a really enjoyable and memorable event! A bit unnerving when they get up to go, similarly when they get down to let you get off. Our camel was very calm and friendly with amazingly long eyelashes and a lovely topknot which looked as though it had just been washed and blown dry. Go for it and enjoy the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Goonerade, Daventry View Post
      Cruising with Ventura in July, stopping off in Gran Canaria and looking at doing the camel ride, has anyone done this before and what did you think of the experience, its our anniversary that day and just want to do something different.

Thanks in advance

Adrian
      Good morning Adrian

It's a must, go for it mate.

Though not Gran Canaria I did an hour at Wadi Rum last December - in the camel steps of Lawrence...

Eat your heart out out Peter O'Toole...

Great fun an an opportunity not to be missed.

Comment

We did the camel ride in Gran Canaria. Very nice trek around the sand dunes of Maspalomas, great fun. Just bear in mind that the dunes are a popular naturist area and you will almost certainly see naked people wandering around, even on the well trodden camel route. Our daughter had a great time counting bums!

Comment

Originally posted by HapagLloyd, Warks View Post
          We did the camel ride in Gran Canaria. Very nice trek around the sand dunes of Maspalomas, great fun. Just bear in mind that the dunes are a popular naturist area and you will almost certainly see naked people wandering around, even on the well trodden camel route. Our daughter had a great time counting bums!
          So that's what is meant by beach bums ?

Not done the Gran Canaria one, but really, really enjoyed the one in Lanzarote....,. Go for it and enjoy as I am sure you will
          Last edited by Calgray, Yorkshire; 3rd June 2013, 03:23 PM.
          sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Same here,done the Gran Canaria camel ride,we had a right old giggle,my friend lost all dignity when dismounting,fell flat on her face,nearly choked on sand,i am laughing now thinking about it,enjoy it! Jan.

Comment

It's certainly different Adrian!

We both did a camel ride many years ago in Tunisia and it was great fun.

I also did a camel ride a few years back on the fringes of the Sahara, whilst holidaying on the island of Djerba, just off the coast of Tunisia.

It was a very long day, early start and late return, but to see the Sahara literally encroaching on the town where we stopped for lunch and to know that it is doing this relentlessly, so that soon that town will be uninhabited, was an awesome experience, and I don't use that word lightly.

One has to experience a camel ride at least once in a lifetime. Enjoy!! You can cross it off your bucket list, if you have one.

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, definitely going to do one now, just whether its in Gran Canaria or Lanzarote.

Comment

Lanzarote is better because it's on a volcano. And everyone is dressed!

Comment

Originally posted by HapagLloyd, Warks View Post
                    Lanzarote is better because it's on a volcano. And everyone is dressed!
                    A naked camel ride, OMW!!

Ouch!!!

Comment

It's perhaps worth mentioning that on Lanzarote you sit, two to a camel, in seats on each side of the hump, rather than astride, Lawrence of Arabia style, I'm not sure if it is the same on Gran Canaria.
                      sigpic

Comment

only ever seen a camel in aqba jordan. never had a chance to ride one. Does not look a comfy ride.

Comment

We did the Lanzarote camel ride, and I practised my little bit of Spanish, to ask our camel's name, which was Ruannah. They had an old one called Granddad who had been leading the herd for years. When they retired him, he would not stay at the holding, so they decided to put him with the young ones being trained to give rides. He used to lead them down to the area where tourists queued up, then back again at the end of the day.
                          They looked after their animals well, unlike the ones near the Pyramids, whose coats were dirty and matted. They carried one person and you had to hold on tightly when they stood up, or lay down.
                          The Lanzarote ones use panniers, and they even the weights of the riders with little bags of sand on the lightest rider's seat. Just be sure to hold on to your hat if it's windy, though. Great experience. Say hallo to Ruannah.

Comment

Ours was called Carmen.
                            sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X