• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Azores who has been there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Azores who has been there?

Trying to decided what to do in the Azores, famous for whales. I presume these can be seen on the approach /exit of azores or do they hang around in a select area and a small boat trip needed to see them.

other options a scenic drive arond the island, and walkabout in the town.

hiking and 4x4 drives not suitable for us.

Any tips or advice.

euros seem to be main currency.

Which Island will you be visiting? If calling in at Horta a walk round the town, a nice little restaurant for a fresh fish lunch and a bottle of local cold white wine and don't forget the lovely local cheese! Horta has some interesting paintings round the harbour wall left by passing ship crews! If visiting Ponta Delgada a walk round the town and shopping is good.

Comment

Ponta Delgada is the port. was wondering as the ship sails close to the islands can whales be seen from the decks. saw a small whale once nr portugal the view lasted about two seconds as it passed the ship in opp direction only saw a black hump surface briefly and that was it. wheras dolphins are always jumping out the water and often swim along side the ship.

Comment

Humpbacks, Sperm Whales, Fin Whale, Blue Whale and Pilot Whales, these are all the whales that my husband has seen while sailing past the various Islands over the past years. You do have to stay out on deck and use exceedingly strong powered binoculars! The type of whales you see will depend on the time of the year of course. Transatlantic journeys are wonderful for whale watchers but you have to keep looking!

Comment

seaweed thanks thats great news

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
            Ponta Delgada is the port. was wondering as the ship sails close to the islands can whales be seen from the decks. saw a small whale once nr portugal the view lasted about two seconds as it passed the ship in opp direction only saw a black hump surface briefly and that was it. wheras dolphins are always jumping out the water and often swim along side the ship.
            We have been to this beautiful island and saw pilot whales.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We were in Punta Delgado a couple years ago and had a great day with a guide called Ricardo. He knew his Island and was happy to tell us anything we wanted to know. I can not remember any more of his name, but just google Ricardo Punta Delgado and you will find him

Comment

We used Rui and his island tour. Great tour, guide and easy on the eye! ;)

Rui Medeiros - Private Tour Guide in São Miguel (Azores)
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by 22oap, 22oap View Post
                  We were in Punta Delgado a couple years ago and had a great day with a guide called Ricardo. He knew his Island and was happy to tell us anything we wanted to know. I can not remember any more of his name, but just google Ricardo Punta Delgado and you will find him

We had an excellent tour with Ricardo Amorin (sp) of Amazing Tours. Quite likely the same person. I arranged the tour on the internet and he phoned me to sort out details which quite impressed me.

Comment

The problem with the Azores is the Weather ,you are never sure of what you may get ,we have been there twice and got wet twice?
                    If you walk into town and get a quote from a Taxi driver for an Island tour for 4 of you on the day rather than pre booking ?
                    This is the dock area with the town in the background

A Picture from one of the streets near the Catherdral.

We did this Carriage ride round the town Not very Expensive around 5Euro per person .

Taffy
                    ​Taffy

Comment

taffy thanks might well do that.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X