• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

madiera cable car and baskets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

madiera cable car and baskets

Right i am starting to look at trips for my cruise i need family friendly trips as i have a 6 yr old daughter.I thought of the cable car and the basket ride down or even the theme park although it is 30 mins away from what i can gather.All experiences ,tips and prices are welcomed.We cruised here before when she was a baby but just a had a walk round.The cable car would be something she will remember.I want to organise my own excursions as i dont want to pay p+o prices not that the excursions are available yet on the P+o site,thanks in advance

It's been a long time since I've been to Madeira, but this is what I remember. The cable car is walkable from the dock, and goes up to a lovely botanical garden. I was nervous about taking the basket ride back down, but it was fine. Those guys know what they are doing, and do it day in day out all year round. We went back to the ship for lunch, and got off again for a while afterwards. We spent the rest of our time there just walking around, and back to the hotel where we had stayed previously.

I had spent a week in Funchal before I was there as part of a cruise, and avoided doing the basket ride that time. I don't know what the prices are currently, but I'm sure if you google they will come up.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Hi, you can do the cable car yourself! P&O will have a free courtesy coach from the port to the seafront in Funchal. From there walk along the seafront for about 10 mins where you will find the cable car, well worth doing! At the top you will find the "baskets" We didn't do the "baskets" as the rest of the family didn't like the look of it! They go at some speed so as long as your daughter likes "adventure" you will have no problem. The only thing I can remember is the "baskets" do not go all the way down so you will have to walk the rest of the way or get a taxi! You will enjoy Funchal plenty to do and see!

Comment

No need to book an excursion!

Yes, you can walk to the cable car starting point 920 mins maybe) or get a local bus. There is an excelent garden (and I'm not into gardens) at the top and cafe. If you take another cable car there is another excellent garden. The basket ride down is great. It does not stop right in the heart of the town so you need to then walk, get a cab (lots waiting) or get a bus back. It's maybe another 20 minute walk?

Alternatively I belive you can just get a bus to the top of the mountain.

Both the cable cars and basket are a bit expensive, but well worth it.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Thanks it sounds great fun and my daughter loves adventure so that will make her happy so i am going to look at reids for tea now

Comment

I took a taxi to the cable car station for 8 euros and bought a return ticket with entry to the Monte Tropical Gardens included. The gardens are amazing (and steep) but the walking is all downhill if you take the land train back to the top. There is a cafe in the gardens and chickens wandering about plus a big aviary with hundreds of budgies, also lots of ponds with koi carp in them. I am not sure if the basket ride would take children?

Comment

A word of caution. If you intend to do the toboggan run from Monte down to Funchal check with your travel insurance company that you are covered in case of an accident. They have occured in the past. Some insurance companies consider this comes under the heading of dangerous sports and you are not covered.

Comment

Stayed in Madeira a few times now but never fancied the basket run.If you walk round from the Harbour opposite where the ships dock there are a line of local buses.You get the ticket from the little kiosks on the water front.I cannot remember which bus takes you to the cable car but you can stay on the bus to the Botanical Gardens which are worth a visit.Funchal is a great place to visit but not on a Sunday where nearly everything closes.Nice flower market and a visit to Blandys where there are free tastings of Madeira wine with no obligations to buy any.Cathedral not so interesting but some good cafes to sit and watch the world go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                  It's been a long time since I've been to Madeira, but this is what I remember. The cable car is walkable from the dock, and goes up to a lovely botanical garden. I was nervous about taking the basket ride back down, but it was fine. Those guys know what they are doing, and do it day in day out all year round. We went back to the ship for lunch, and got off again for a while afterwards. We spent the rest of our time there just walking around, and back to the hotel where we had stayed previously.
                  I had spent a week in Funchal before I was there as part of a cruise, and avoided doing the basket ride that time. I don't know what the prices are currently, but I'm sure if you google they will come up.
                  I think that the walk to the cable cars would be too far for a six year old especially when P & O generally provide a free shuttle bus to the centre. The basket (Toboggan) ride down should be thrilling for her but as an adult I found it rather mundane. I suppose if you haven't done it then fine but I would sooner come back down on the cable car. The gardens at the top are great to walk through....Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X