• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Day in Copenhagen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A Day in Copenhagen

    At the final port of call on our Baltic cruise on Eclipse in June 2012 we berthed at Langelinie where I got my first sight of wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen...............



    .........I knew it could only get better and at least it was sunny. We were going to head for the 'touristy' Nyhavn and I was looking forward to the mile or so walk along the waterfront. Browneyes had other ideas as she said she couldn't walk very far in her pretty flip-flop type footwear. I checked-out the HOHO busses but thought they were expensive at 155DKK or 23 euros each so I succumbed to buying two $12 tickets for the ships shuttle bus (other busses were available for less, I believe) that would drop us off very close to Nyhavn.............


    We had a pleasant half-hour stroll around the area to familiarise ourselves before looking for a boat to take a canal tour in. We didn't take this one as it was over-priced at 70DKK anyway.........



    Just along the side of the canal on the opposite side to the restaurants we found a 1hr boat trip for 40DKK each. Tally Ho.......



    We enjoyed the trip and as well as other things to see, it took us past the opera house.............



    ...........and gave us a close-up of The Little Mermaid's back............



    Ok, time for some lunch. There is a whole long line of restaurants along Nyhavn where you can enjoy lunch al-fresco. We chose one that translated as The Tinder Box, mainly because it was the only one with two seats available............



    I ordered the steak sandwich and a large beer and Browneyes ordered a shrimp sandwich and large fizzy water. The total bill was 365DKK. It's worth noting that they would only accept local currency or a card as payment. I wasn't asked how I would like my steak cooked and luckily I'm not squeemish about my beef.............



    After the delicious lunch, our Danish table mates suggested we take a leisurely stroll along the waterfront back to the ship. Browneyes was up for it, which pleased me, in spite of spending $24 on the shuttle which we were on for about 10 minutes. It was a very nice walk back where there were many photo opportunities...............



    .........and of course, as we approached the ship we got a good look at The Little Mermaid as she should be viewed..........



    All I really saw of Copenhagen was Nyhavn, the views from the canal boat and the walk back to the ship.....and do you know what?

    We loved it.

    Bob

    #2
    You probably ate in the most expensive aea of the city, but you were on holiday, so go for it! I love Copenhagen, my daughter and I spent a city break there in October a few years ago. It was very cold, but with blue sky the whole time. I'd recommend the Bishop's Palace and the Tacho Bryher Planetarium for your next visit.

    Comment


      #3
      And the Carlsberg Visitor Centre....hic
      Ho ho bus stops almost outside...well worth a visit just for the fantastic entrance...
      Carlsberg Group - Architectual landmarks at Carlsberg

      Regards
      Garfield

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks for the suggestions........I'm sure we'll be back one day. Mind you, we're just wanderers and rarely head-off to see anything in particular.

        Bob

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by smh, Formby
          Looks like a very nice meal but I think I would like my steak cooked a little longer. Having only cruised with P.O. and Cunard who offer free shuttle buses, as we are considering Celebrity this year do they always charge for their shuttle buses, I know sometimes they only go as far as the dock gates or sometimes into the nearest towns.
          Generally they charge around $10 each for the shuttles. It's worth doing a bit of research to find alternatives. Some shuttle trips were easily walkable and I would have loved to have walked both ways on this occasion.

          The steak sandwich was devine........but yes........quite rare.

          Bob

          Comment


            #6
            They will also take euro on some of the canal trips from Nyhavn but take coins as well as notes; ours was very good value.

            Comment


              #7
              Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen!

              We were on that cruise :-)
              I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
              sigpic

              www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by allie, Isle of Wight View Post
                Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen!

                We were on that cruise :-)
                Hi allie,

                I remember you went about four weeks before us and we were both trying to gather information ahead of our departure. Our cruise started on 23 June.

                Bob

                Comment


                  #9
                  So you were!
                  I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
                  sigpic

                  www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by smh, Formby
                    Looks like a very nice meal but I think I would like my steak cooked a little longer. Having only cruised with P.O. and Cunard who offer free shuttle buses, as we are considering Celebrity this year do they always charge for their shuttle buses, I know sometimes they only go as far as the dock gates or sometimes into the nearest towns.
                    I emailed the tourist boards of each city we were going to. Most sent really good maps with details of buses etc.
                    This came in handy, especially when we were in Helsinki: whilst crowds waited for the (overpriced) Celebrity shuttle into town, we walked across to the bus stop in port and took a very cheap local bus.
                    I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
                    sigpic

                    www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      looks great bob is it Copenhagen that has all the canals!!!! and you can take a boat trip to see them all or is it some where else ???? thanks c
                      Originally posted by bobbybuoy, peterborough View Post
                      At the final port of call on our Baltic cruise on Eclipse in June 2012 we berthed at Langelinie where I got my first sight of wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen...............



                      .........I knew it could only get better and at least it was sunny. We were going to head for the 'touristy' Nyhavn and I was looking forward to the mile or so walk along the waterfront. Browneyes had other ideas as she said she couldn't walk very far in her pretty flip-flop type footwear. I checked-out the HOHO busses but thought they were expensive at 155DKK or 23 euros each so I succumbed to buying two $12 tickets for the ships shuttle bus (other busses were available for less, I believe) that would drop us off very close to Nyhavn.............


                      We had a pleasant half-hour stroll around the area to familiarise ourselves before looking for a boat to take a canal tour in. We didn't take this one as it was over-priced at 70DKK anyway.........



                      Just along the side of the canal on the opposite side to the restaurants we found a 1hr boat trip for 40DKK each. Tally Ho.......



                      We enjoyed the trip and as well as other things to see, it took us past the opera house.............



                      ...........and gave us a close-up of The Little Mermaid's back............



                      Ok, time for some lunch. There is a whole long line of restaurants along Nyhavn where you can enjoy lunch al-fresco. We chose one that translated as The Tinder Box, mainly because it was the only one with two seats available............



                      I ordered the steak sandwich and a large beer and Browneyes ordered a shrimp sandwich and large fizzy water. The total bill was 365DKK. It's worth noting that they would only accept local currency or a card as payment. I wasn't asked how I would like my steak cooked and luckily I'm not squeemish about my beef.............



                      After the delicious lunch, our Danish table mates suggested we take a leisurely stroll along the waterfront back to the ship. Browneyes was up for it, which pleased me, in spite of spending $24 on the shuttle which we were on for about 10 minutes. It was a very nice walk back where there were many photo opportunities...............



                      .........and of course, as we approached the ship we got a good look at The Little Mermaid as she should be viewed..........



                      All I really saw of Copenhagen was Nyhavn, the views from the canal boat and the walk back to the ship.....and do you know what?

                      We loved it.

                      Bob

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by crazy cruisers, uk View Post
                        looks great bob is it Copenhagen that has all the canals!!!! and you can take a boat trip to see them all or is it some where else ???? thanks c
                        This is a great itinerary for boat trips with Bruges, Copenhagen, St. P, Warnemunde and Stockholm all offering them in one form or another.

                        We took a boat trip at all the above ports with the exception of Bruges.......and that was only because it was pouring

                        I thought the Copenhagen Canal trip was good value and would recommend it.

                        Bob

                        Comment


                          #13
                          ok thanks Bob as my husband loves boat trips big or small haha we might be doing them all but not Bruges thats chocolate haven !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes i will have to twist his arm for for me to do that or i did read on here some where it was not worth the bother but whilst in Belgum you have to sample the chocolate thanks c
                          Originally posted by bobbybuoy, peterborough View Post
                          This is a great itinerary for boat trips with Bruges, Copenhagen, St. P, Warnemunde and Stockholm all offering them in one form or another.

                          We took a boat trip at all the above ports with the exception of Bruges.......and that was only because it was pouring

                          I thought the Copenhagen Canal trip was good value and would recommend it.

                          Bob

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by crazy cruisers, uk View Post
                            ok thanks Bob as my husband loves boat trips big or small haha we might be doing them all but not Bruges thats chocolate haven !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes i will have to twist his arm for for me to do that or i did read on here some where it was not worth the bother but whilst in Belgum you have to sample the chocolate thanks c
                            Bruges for me is about eating Mussels......http://www.cruises.co.uk/1377-bruges...tml#post498834

                            Bob

                            Comment


                              #15
                              are there cycles to hire (for free I understand) from the port area (Copenhagen) would anyone know? please
                              Last edited by MJBMEDIA, CARDIFF; 31st May 2013, 11:54 AM.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X