• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do in Sydney for 6 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do in Sydney for 6 days

I could do with a bit of advice please.

I am going to Australia in November with a friend. She is going to see her daughter and family in Perth and I volunteered to go with her, as she didn't want to travel alone (she is 84).

After spending a couple of days with her in Perth, I have opted to go and see Sydney and surrounding area before meeting up with her again in Melbourne for a few days together before flying home via Hong Kong (where we will spend 3 days).

I have booked to go on the Indian-Pacific railway from Perth to Sydney and am very much looking forward to it.

My question revolves around Sydney. I will be there for 6 days and so I am doing lots of research so that I can plan what I am going to do during that time.

I will definitely do a trip to the Blue mountains, a trip around Sydney Harbour and possibly see something at the Opera House.

I am not interested in shopping and would not sit on a beach on my own. I would prefer to spend time seeing beauty spots and wildlife.

Friends have told me that maybe 6 days is too long to spend in Sydney but my timings revolve around my friends quality time with here family, who she hasn't seen for 12 years.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    Jill

Hi Jill,

Exciting times.
    I would definitely go to the information centre it's in the park opposite a museum. They are so helpful in there, very friendly and booked us on a trip to the Blue Mountains which was already full. We ended up having the owner of the Company taking just us. It was a wonderful day.
    Also there are lots of leaflets, and places to go, as you are there for 6 days, you may be able to do a 2 night trip somewhere further inland. I'm sure you will find plenty to do .................................................. ...................Carol

Comment

So much to do. From the Opera house at Circular Quay you can get public transport to popular locations. A short ferry ride to Manley takes about 40 minutes. A ferry in the opposite direction will take you under the Bridge to Darling Harbour. You can use the bus to get to Bondi Beach even if not wanting to swim. The beach is magnificent and weather permitting the surfers will be about. Taronga zoo is also a short ferry ride away. The Blue mountains can be reached by train from Circular Quay. I suggest buying an Opal ticket which can be used on all modes of transport. There is a daily maximum and weekly cap on charges, see attached link. I think you will be spoilt for choice. https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opa..._for_visitors/

Comment

Six days is certainly a longish time but you can easily fill them.
        We've stayed in Sydney a couple of times and the first day [or two] was always used as a ''where are we/ orientate our brains into AEST''.

For starters

I would suggest the HoHo for the first day or/and combine later with an official half day tour of Sydney
        Sydney Opera House day time tour and a concert [lunchtime or evening] is a must [pre book or hope for returns on the day]
        Blue Mountains and the caves [Jenolan]
        Hunter Valley
        The Museums
        Lunch outdoors at a harbour restaurant
        Harbour tour
        Ferryout to Bondi [amust but a bit disappointing when you get there]

...and there's more!

Comment

To add to Mrs. M's excellent suggestions, the Botanic Gardens are interesting, particularly at sunset when the enormous bats fly out by the hundreds. We bought a day ticket on the ferries and explored the harbour area that way. I agree that Bondi Beach was a bit underwhelming, but we watched surfers and saw the rescue teams practicing. We took the train to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains then bought a day ticket on the trolley to explore. We tend to avoid organized tours in favour but if you are travelling solo a tour might be better.

We spent a week in Sydney before a cruise and could easily have spent more time. There is a excellent Visitors' Centre in the Rocks area where we gained a lot of information on how to get to the various places we wanted to see. They told us about a Chinese Garden at Darling Harbour which provided a pleasant contrast after the hustle and bustle of that area.

Comment

Climbing the Sydney bridge is a must. (if you can manage it )

Comment

Thanks everyone for your response. I am very excited about the trip as I didn't think that I would ever see anything of Australia.

You have given me lots to think about and plan.
              Jill

Comment

I would agree with the suggestion of getting an Opal card. The ferries are a great way to get around. If you like fish, go to Doyles for fish and chips. You can go by ferry to Watson's Bay if memory serves, and the restaurant is right on the sea front near the landing stage. Different fish to what we're used to, but the best I've ever had.

Comment

Thank you yesrock, Liverpool and PeterM, Southwell for the Opal Card suggestion. I will definitely get one, as it will make travelling around a lot easier- a bit like our Oyster card in London.
                  Jill

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                    To add to Mrs. M's excellent suggestions, the Botanic Gardens are interesting, particularly at sunset when the enormous bats fly out by the hundreds. We bought a day ticket on the ferries and explored the harbour area that way. I agree that Bondi Beach was a bit underwhelming, but we watched surfers and saw the rescue teams practicing. We took the train to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains then bought a day ticket on the trolley to explore. We tend to avoid organized tours in favour but if you are travelling solo a tour might be better.

We spent a week in Sydney before a cruise and could easily have spent more time. There is a excellent Visitors' Centre in the Rocks area where we gained a lot of information on how to get to the various places we wanted to see. They told us about a Chinese Garden at Darling Harbour which provided a pleasant contrast after the hustle and bustle of that area.
                    The Chinese Gardens of Peace at Darling Harbour is a must and there is also the maritime museum at Darling Harbour and get the ferry over to Manley from there as well. Maybe a day at Darling Harbour would be best and there are plenty of eating places and bars. Just remember your comfy shoes. Have a fab time.
                    sigpic
                    Tiggertom
                    shaken, not purred

Comment

Originally posted by tiggertom, Cumbernauld View Post
                      The Chinese Gardens of Peace at Darling Harbour is a must and there is also the maritime museum at Darling Harbour and get the ferry over to Manley from there as well. Maybe a day at Darling Harbour would be best and there are plenty of eating places and bars. Just remember your comfy shoes. Have a fab time.
                      Nice to hear from you Tig. I hope you are well.

I am staying in a hotel that is less than a mile from Darling harbour, so will be well placed during my stay. Thanks for your input, which I appreciate.
                      Jill

Comment

No problem Jill, nice to chat to you. The gardens are actually called the Chinese Gardens of Friendship but you would have found them as they are well signposted around the harbour area.
                        sigpic
                        Tiggertom
                        shaken, not purred

Comment

I was going to suggest the botanical gardens too. We sat for a while in Mrs Maquires folly . The bats really are a sight worth seeing. There are some really nice places to eat around Darling harbour, we liked it there. We also did a dinner cruise which gave good views of the bridge and the opera house. We also did the blue mountains but it was so foggy we couldn't see anything. I think we stayed 4 days which was just about right do with 6 days you will be able to take this at a leisurely pace and pick a good day for the mountains.

Comment

Hi Jill take the ferry from circular quay and across to Devonport, it was a time warp ,haberdashery shop, book shops fish and chips in newspaper, we spent a lovely day idling over there. I envy you Sydney is one of my favourite ports but can be exhausting .CG
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                              I was going to suggest the botanical gardens too. We sat for a while in Mrs Maquires folly . The bats really are a sight worth seeing. There are some really nice places to eat around Darling harbour, we liked it there. We also did a dinner cruise which gave good views of the bridge and the opera house. We also did the blue mountains but it was so foggy we couldn't see anything. I think we stayed 4 days which was just about right do with 6 days you will be able to take this at a leisurely pace and pick a good day for the mountains.
                              Yes, I plan to pace myself in order to enjoy a day or two of relaxation time by the hotel pool.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X