• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China- 3 day extended transit visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China- 3 day extended transit visa

Has anybody heard of or any experience of such a thing. We end up in Shanghai disembarking Sapphire Princess at usual time ( 9 ish ) and fly out at 10.30 the next evening, I.e. we're only on shore for approximately 37 hours.
    At the moment my understanding is that we both need visas and if applied for at the Chinese embassy is going to cost about £300. It's we weren't quite expecting, maybe we were a bit naive. Any information would be useful.

It is mentioned on the current edition of The Travel Show on BBC News in relation to changing flights in China and staying up to 72 hours, but it looks like you may also be covered.

See
    China's 72- and 144-Hour Transit without Visa Programs (Updated) - U.S. & China Visa Law Blog
    China 72-Hour Visa-free Transit in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Guilin, Chengdu
    Do I need a Chinese visa-Visa Knowledge

Sounds like the rules have changed within the last week or so, and now cover cruise passengers arriving in Shanghai and staying up to six days.

However, I can't see anything on a Chinese Government website confirming this.

You should also follow the advise of the cruise company though. If they are not happy that you don't need a visa, they won't allow you to board.

Hopefully this will become clearer in the coming weeks.

Comment

Thanks for such a prompt response. I'll certainly follow up on your info. I'm a little more hopeful now. I'm wee impressed with my venture on the forum.

Comment

Hi bees fleet,
        you should ring the Chinese embassy nearest to you and ask their advice. They speak English and are very helpful.
        Hope this is helpful.
        😂

Comment

Originally posted by Bees, Fleet View Post
          Thanks for such a prompt response. I'll certainly follow up on your info. I'm a little more hopeful now. I'm wee impressed with my venture on the forum.
          Stay and chat some more, we are a friendly bunch and lots of knowledge as you've already seen.

Comment

I think you will find that tourist visas for US citizens are different to those for UK tourists.

Be aware, too, that, non Chinese flagged cruise ships can no longer sail from one Chinese port to another to end a cruise - they now have to divert to a non Chinese port and then return to China.

You need to read the China visa application form very carefully and decide if you need a one, two or multi-entry visa

Comment

Hi there Nick
              Just an update and thanks for your info re 144 hour transit visas for Shanghai port to airport. I appreciate this only came in at the end of January but all my calls to Iglu cruise (agent) and Princess just kept telling me that, no visa then you can't board. Wrote to Princess customer services 2 weeks ago with no reply so far but this morning received reservation documents update acknowledging the new 144 hour transit visa. I like to think my letter along with a number of others helped to make Princess aware of the update. Again thanks for the links & info, without which I would have been arranging for a visa.
              Richard

Comment

I'm having similar issues with a Celebrity cruise that ends in Shanghai in September. The 144 hour transit free visa meets our needs as we have three days in Shanghai before flying home. All the current info available and there is a Chinese government website that quite clearly explains the 144 hour transit visa and the requirements that you have to meet but Celebrity are being slow to react; info from the Chinese embassy and Visa Central surprise surprise have so far said we need a paid for visa. Princess has got the ball rolling I hope as I know Celebrity are very aware and if one cruise line breaks cover the others will no doubt follow.
                Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection

Ray

Comment

Just got back from Shanghai after Sapphire Princess trip under 144 hour transit free visa, no problem. Just keep badgering Celebrity with letters. You can't apply for visa until 4-5 weeks before so you have plenty of time yet for a result. Use links from Nick C, Worthing above and Good luck.
                  Richard

Comment

Cheers thanks for that update Richard!

Ray

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X