• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Cruise around the Red Sea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant, West Sussex
    started a topic A Cruise around the Red Sea?

A Cruise around the Red Sea?

Would you sign up for a cruise around the Red Sea? One globetrotting line is betting on it.

Europe-based Costa Cruises this week announced it will position two ships in Sharm-El-Sheik, Egypt next winter to offer seven-night voyages around the 200-mile-wide waterway.

The 820-passenger Costa Allegra and 776-passenger Costa Marina will depart from the Egyptian resort town every Monday and Thursday, respectively, and call at Adabiyah (Egypt), Safaga (Egypt), Aqaba (Jordan) and Eilhat (Israel) before returning to Sharm el-Sheik.
    guide to the new ships of 2010

The unusual new routing will allow cruisers to visit the famed Egyptian ruins of Luxor and the Valley of the Kings (accessible via Safaga) and the equally legendary Jordanian ruins of Petra (accessible via Aqaba), among other historical and cultural attractions in the region.

The ships will spend three days in Sharm-El-Sheik, which is located on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula and known for diving, snorkeling and beaches.

Carnival-owned Costa and its German-focused sister line, Aida, have been at the forefront of the growing trend of Middle East cruising in recent years, adding the first regular Persian Gulf voyages (out of Dubai) three years ago. Costa began its fourth season of cruises out of Dubai in December with the arrival of the 2,260-passenger Costa Luminosa. A second Costa ship, the just-unveiled, 2,260-passenger Costa Deliziosa, will take up residence in Dubai later this month, and the 1,494-passenger Costa Europa also is visiting the region this winter on a series of one-way cruises between Italy and Dubai.

The sunny and warm waters of the Persian Gulf have proved a popular winter getaway for cruise fans from Europe, in particular, as well as Middle Easterners and smaller numbers of Americans, despite the waterway's location near several troubled countries including Iraq and Yemen. Unlike the nearby waters of the Gulf of Aden, the Persian Gulf is not known for pirate attacks on ships.

Source: USA Today

• morris, st. columb
    replied
    [I][QUOTE=Shelledpea, Stalybridge, nr Manchester;31220]Why not? Baalbeck is reported to be a stunning historical site. [/I]

But Baalbeck is in Lebanon not Libya ?? I would love to go to Lebanon as my mother was sent there from Cairo during the Second World War to convalesce after contracting sand fly fever....she was a nursing sister.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    If you are going to ride one of the horses or donkeys check the condition of the animal before you ride them. I know Brooke animal rescue work out there to educate the owners in the fair treatment of their animals but just be aware that many will be overworked and in poor condition so boycott those if you can. Thanks, Carol.

Leave a comment:

• Pedrom
    replied
    Petra
    There is a strictly limited amount of transportation through he siq at petra. But even when you enter Petra there are still miles to walk. You can get a ride on a donkey to the highest and least accessible part When I finished a day in Petra I felt that I had no chance of getting back to the bus-But worth doing if you have to crawl.M name is of course, not Aldea de las Cuevas, but the much simpler Peter. I don't actuallyknow anybody called The Cave Village

Leave a comment:

• Shelledpea, Stalybridge
    replied
    Originally posted by morris, st. columb View Post
    can't go to Libya though and don't particularly want to !!!!!!!
    Why not? Baalbeck is reported to be a stunning historical site.

I Have Lebanese friends who say the country would be okay if they had more tourism and if people actually accepted the fact that they have achitectural wonders I think the fact they are so close to Israel and it's nice policy of shelling them that's at fault.

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    We were on Celebration yesterday in Sharm, and woke to find a massive Costa almost nudging us up the stern. Eveyone was gazing down from their balconies, wondering what all the laughter was about. I bet they didn't have half the fun we did! :D
    Jo.
    Last edited by Jocap, Cumbria; 12th February 2010, 11:15 PM. Reason: senior moment

Leave a comment:

• Pedrom
    replied
    Did a redsea cruise together with the Suez canal and recommend it t o anybody who doesn't mind seeing the world as it is Personally can't wait o find the opportunity to return to Sharm el sheikNothing very posh, but a good example of a jolly holiday resort-with unfailing sunshine

Leave a comment:

• morris, st. columb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• liauq, w mids
    replied
    see some recent reviews on this website re "red sea magic" which may help you, also in "www.thomsons.co.uk/cruises" if you go into excursions you will find a good brochure specifically on this cruise.personally, i thought that the prices were worth it to see such significant ancient sites which i wouldn't have otherwise....and to get away from port sokhna and saffaga!
    Last edited by liauq, w mids; 7th February 2010, 12:43 PM. Reason: i must check my grammar first, doh!

Leave a comment:

• Viv C, Runcorn
    replied
    I have just booked this same cruise for March18th.

Originally posted by liauq, w mids View Post
    just returned from thomson' "red sea magic" ; brilliant chance to see petra,cairo and pyramids and luxor but husband refuses to go back to Sharm-el-sheik airport ever again and port sokhna and saffaga ports are ugly,industrial ports miles from anywhere so you would need to think carefully about not going on excursions.

This will be my 5th Cruise and really looking forward to the itinery are the excursions very expensive ?( will still go tho ). I understand this is a much smaller ship than I have sailed on before, the most recent being the Ruby Princess but that does not bother me either. Any info greatly received. Is anyone else out there going at the same time as me.

Leave a comment:

• morris, st. columb
    replied
    Originally posted by morris, st. columb View Post
    Thanks jc....need to get new passport pretty quick !!! Syria don't allow Israeli stamps in passports either !!
    Oh dear panic stations as we leave on 3 March and nearest regional passport office is in Newport !!
    Further update....official advice from Thomson.......as long as you go on ships excursion there will be a 'blanket' visa which will allow those with an Israeli stamp in their passport to go ashore....we will check this again once onboard before we book our excursion.
    and of course when we visit Israel (on the same cruise) we will ask them not to stamp our passports!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• oceancreek, Oldbury
    replied
    wonder what Thomson think of the competition...

When we did the red sea cruise in Nov, the ship behind us at our last stop wa sone of the Costa ships. It was the one that is Thomson Dream.

Leave a comment:

• courgette, Llanrwst
    replied
    Cruise round the Red Sea

The horse drawn buggies are there but make for a very sea sick ride!
    If you can do the walk there you should find a bus at the end above the restaurant to do the return journey.
    Try a donkey unless you have very long legs!

Leave a comment:

• morris, st. columb
    replied
    Thanks jc....need to get new passport pretty quick !!! Syria don't allow Israeli stamps in passports either !!
    Oh dear panic stations as we leave on 3 March and nearest regional passport office is in Newport !!

Leave a comment:

• Chris, Romsey
    replied
    The unusual new routing will allow cruisers to visit the famed Egyptian ruins of Luxor and the Valley of the Kings (accessible via Safaga) and the equally legendary Jordanian ruins of Petra (accessible via Aqaba), among other historical and cultural attractions in the region

Thomson ships are small. But I didn't know they're invisible :D

Chris

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X