• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capri DIY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    started a topic Capri DIY

Capri DIY

Hi all,
    I'm hoping some of you will be able to help.

We will be in Naples between 1pm and 6.30pm which means it'll be 2 at the earliest we can get off and all aboard by 6pm. I don't like to cut things too tightly.

Is there enough time to do Capri DIY here? On paper it looks a bit tight. I'd really like to go as it wasn't really viable in November with Andy's broken leg.
    If so, does anyone know a rough idea of the costs?

The ship's excursion is for 5 hours and at a cost of €77

Thanks!
    Tim

replied
    I remember watching Alex Polizzi's programme and she said Ischia was where they holidayed as children and it looked beautiful. From the few days we had in the area it's definitely a part of Italy I want to explore more, and Puglia too

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Good review of the Negombo thermal gardens here:
    https://www.ischiareview.com/negombo...-elements.html
    This site has lots of great info about Ischia and the website owner is great at giving advice she wants to encourage more tourists to visit the Island as most Europeans go to Capri but ignore Ischia. She fixed up a taxi to meet our hydrofoil.
    I have definitely contemplated staying on the Island and visiting Capri again at the same time.
    When we did Capri ourselves we had a tour of the Island in an open top car with a removable awning.
    My late father haggled the day rate down whilst we were all having a coffee by the main harbour!We went to a beach, a tour of the tourist spots (Gracie Fields house,Sophia Loren's,etc and he took us to a fabulous restaurant up in the hills where I had the best Pizza I've ever had (and I'm not a massive fan) and home made lemonade that tasted like it had just been picked off the trees.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Looks amazing. Might have to investigate this further... we can get decent flights from BHX or EMA

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    Cheers Phil, as some of the new ships are coming on MSC seem to be doing a few more from Naples, so we'll bear that in mind... our pre-cruise break there in November focussed mainly on Pompeii, Herculaneum and the City and a quick trip to Sorrento which had some beautiful Christmas decorations, would like to see the palace, Ischia and more of the area in the sun!
    No problem, I do think seeing the Islands helps in changing up the experience of Naples.
    gives me an excuse to show the Ischia photos again:

IMGP1940_zpsnckabofg
    IMGP1955_zpst2ly5v99 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/137528956@N05/]
    IMGP1954_zpsees3ep3v by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/137528956@N05/]P
    Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 1st June 2018, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
    Hi Tim, Annie's right I have done Capri DIY but it's a while ago as I've done Ischia (which I prefer) the last twice.
    Sadly, I don't think you'll have time.Even the hyrofoil takes 50 minutes. timetable is here:
    https://www.capribooking.com/en/ferr...dule?path_id=5
    If you manged to get the 2 rather than 2.30 you'd still only have 2 hours there,the 4.30 would get you back at 5.20.
    You'll definitely have to do it sometime though and i would highly recommend Ischia too!
    The thermal baths are amazing!
    Cheers Phil, as some of the new ships are coming on MSC seem to be doing a few more from Naples, so we'll bear that in mind... our pre-cruise break there in November focussed mainly on Pompeii, Herculaneum and the City and a quick trip to Sorrento which had some beautiful Christmas decorations, would like to see the palace, Ischia and more of the area in the sun!

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Hi Tim, Annie's right I have done Capri DIY but it's a while ago as I've done Ischia (which I prefer) the last twice.
    Sadly, I don't think you'll have time.Even the hyrofoil takes 50 minutes. timetable is here:
    https://www.capribooking.com/en/ferr...dule?path_id=5
    If you manged to get the 2 rather than 2.30 you'd still only have 2 hours there,the 4.30 would get you back at 5.20.
    you could get the 5.05 if you like to live dangerously! You can buy a return now.
    You'll definitely have to do it sometime though and I would highly recommend Ischia too!
    The thermal baths are amazing!
    Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 1st June 2018, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks all, that's what I thought, we'll buy the excursion when we board (can't book it in advance now, only Pompeii or private cars)

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Hi Tim,

I am afraid I can't remember exact cost, but I do remember we had to buy the timed return ticket when we got to Capri as the Ferry gets packed and you could risk not getting on!! Maybe things have changed now and you can buy a return from Naples. I think your timings will be tight, again from memory the trip takes about 50 mins each way & it wasn't cheap.

77 Euro doesn't sound too bad to me and prbably worth it for security.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    The highspeed ferry is something like €40 before any discount and that will give a max of 2:15hr.

That's if you catch the 14:00pm(14:50) and get the 17:05(17:55)
    The others are 14:40(15:30) and 16:30(17:20) only 1hr.

If you DIY I would start planning how to get to the next port as well

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Current price on the SNAV website is €50.50 Return.

One of my pet hates about the Italian cruiselines is the limited time in ports..............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm hoping some of you will be able to help.

We will be in Naples between 1pm and 6.30pm which means it'll be 2 at the earliest we can get off and all aboard by 6pm. I don't like to cut things too tightly.

Is there enough time to do Capri DIY here? On paper it looks a bit tight. I'd really like to go as it wasn't really viable in November with Andy's broken leg.
    If so, does anyone know a rough idea of the costs?

The ship's excursion is for 5 hours and at a cost of €77

Thanks!
    Tim
    Hi Tim

That is tight even for a MSC excursion.

I think Philhar has visited Capri DIY. I did 30 years ago so my info will be out of date. I spent a full day there.

A website:

https://www.capri.com/

Annie

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X