• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety in the Caribbean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wavell, edinburgh View Post
    I do not share the views expressed here. I was in a British Govt position in 3 Caribbean countries over a period of 9 years. Casual robbery and violence is endemic throughout the area. In our 3rd post our house was completely window grilled with extra grill to stairs to provide time for armed security to arrive if necessary. I urge extreme caution and please read the various FCO travel advice for each country.
    I would suggest that if you were obviously a lot richer and had a lot more than the locals that you would not only add extra grills but you would also have a link to the local police, possibly a private security firm, a safe, additional cctc and alarms....................and that is just if you live in the UK.

Comment

60 murders in St Lucia in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
        60 murders in St Lucia in 2017.
        So how many were tourists? There is a list on line, looks like none

Comment

Feeling safe and being safe are very different. However I bet most of the areas we live have more crime that we generally care to acknowledge.

As Neil says walking around in a poor area (anywhere in the world) wearing a £300 coat, with a £500 mobile, £500 camera and a £6,000 Rolex is makes you a target well worth mugging.

I can't believe Brits are buying these £850 coats like hot cakes at the moment. Where could you hang it up if you went out? Best not walk any dark alleys wearing one!

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 17th February 2018, 12:57 PM.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
            I would suggest that if you were obviously a lot richer and had a lot more than the locals that you would not only add extra grills but you would also have a link to the local police, possibly a private security firm, a safe, additional cctc and alarms....................and that is just if you live in the UK.
            Not sure your point. I was posting my views after some considerable experience as an official in area. Of course all tourists are richer than average income klocals

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X