• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety in the Caribbean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety in the Caribbean

We are travelling to the Caribbean next month visiting
    Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua and St Kitts.
    Can someone advise whether there are any safety concerns,
    other than the obvious in these places.

Thanks for any information.

Depends what you think is obvious.

wearing sandals it can hurt more when you stub your toe.

You could get robbed without knowing just buying a bit of jewelry

Comment

Never felt threatened in any of the places you mention, in fact less so than some Mediterranean ports...........Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

I love the islands and never felt uneasy even when wandering around, even when alone. As with most places good sense should prevail and hopefully you will love the Islands.

Comment

Thank you Val, we are really looking forward to the cruise.

Comment

Many thanks Wilba for the reply. Really looking forward to visiting the islands.

Comment

Been to the Caribbean many times , never had a problem , only once when we were in Jamaica we were told not to go to a certain place .
              Having said that I would always say dress down in countries that you are not familiar with, Im sure you will enjoy you trip.

Comment

I've never felt unsafe, some of the locals can be a bit pushy with things they want to sell, but a firm 'No Thank you' does the trick. Have a fantastic time, the Caribbean is beautiful .................................................. .............Carol

Comment

To all who have taken the time to post a positive view on my question a very big Thank You.We can't wait.

Comment

I do not share the views expressed here. I was in a British Govt position in 3 Caribbean countries over a period of 9 years. Casual robbery and violence is endemic throughout the area. In our 3rd post our house was completely window grilled with extra grill to stairs to provide time for armed security to arrive if necessary. I urge extreme caution and please read the various FCO travel advice for each country.

Comment

Never had any problems, but having said that, have heard of tourists being robbed. Avoid wearing jewellery, expensive watches etc. Carry as little as possible to avoid being seen as a target. I would also avoid going off the beaten track.

Comment

I have just got home from a cruise calling at all the places you mention and didn't see any signs of trouble. Obviously don't go wandering in places you wouldn't do at home but if you stick to the main tourist area I'm sure you will be fine. I walked from the ship into Bridgetown on my own and felt safe even when I got lost in the town. The local buses are a good way to get around the island and the bus station is only a short walk from the cruise terminal. Locals on the buses are friendly.

Comment

Great thanks so much. You have all been so helpful.

Comment

It is always wise to be "Street wise" wherever you are and not wear bling, flash mobiles and tablets without due care; in fact take as many precautions as you would in Europe.

There is film on here of a fight on a beach in St Kitts so again just be aware, Antigua has rougher and less safe reports and you should be careful if you visit beaches to look after your hand baggage there. Recently there have been incidents of theft and mugging in Barbados too but generally speaking, and even after those warnings, these places are considered to be reasonably safe and you can enjoy them.

I have been to all four more thn once and wouldn't hesitate to go back. .......Neil

Comment

As many have said, not a problem, just be aware and security concious. For some reason, people on holiday don't seem to think that they exist as a target. I would not walk round London (or Luton) with my wallet hanging out and all my jewellery on display....as I am sure you would not in Manchester. Most times a bit of common sense is all that is needed. The majority of the citizens of these islands do not have a pot so why flash yours in their face. Just be sensible and have a great time. Been to the Caribbean many times (not just cruises), walked around the towns, been drunk on rum punches, and enjoyed many a street and beach party and never had a problem.....but it was obvious I had nothing worth bothering with.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X