• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caribbean recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caribbean recommendations

H Guys

My cousin and his wife are taking their first ever cruise next month (on my recommendation and booked through holly@cruisedot).

They are visiting the Caribbean and so I've no personal knowledge. I've done the usual searches to help them but wonder if anyone here has visited any of these islands and what would you recommend to do in each port of call?

They are sailing on Anthem out of Bayonne down to

Puerto Rico
    St Maarten
    Barbados
    St Kitts
    Antigua
    St Lucia.

What is a must see? D.I.Y or ships excursions?
    They haven't cruised before but they are experienced travellers.

Thanks in advance x

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
    H Guys

My cousin and his wife are taking their first ever cruise next month (on my recommendation and booked through holly@cruisedot).

They are visiting the Caribbean and so I've no personal knowledge. I've done the usual searches to help them but wonder if anyone here has visited any of these islands and what would you recommend to do in each port of call?

They are sailing on Anthem out of Bayonne down to

Puerto Rico
    St Maarten
    Barbados
    St Kitts
    Antigua
    St Lucia.

What is a must see? D.I.Y or ships excursions?
    They haven't cruised before but they are experienced travellers.

Thanks in advance x
    First I would always suggest that they look at and paste maps off the internet for everywhere and study the ports and their surrounds. Look up "Tourism" for each port and study the tours listed by the Ship, not to necessarily do them but to get an idea. The benefits of doing your homework always pay dividends.

Puerto Rico…….Many ships dock in the Old San Juan District. The other docks are however are much further away but it could be worth getting a taxi.
    Visit the the streets around the area which include La Princesa Walkway and surrounding areas, Plaza de Armas, City Wall, A Front View of La Fortaleza, Christ Chapel and La Rogativa, San Juan Cathedral and Ponce de León Tomb, San Juan Gate and even walk out to the Castillo San Felipe del Morro. You might consider instead a tour to the El Yunque Forest. It is interesting but be prepared to walk a distance and have stout footware. The town itself is OK and there is a very good art gallery there.

St Maarten
    …… I think the bad hurricane did some damage here so my information is not up to date but it is a laid back place with most people mooching around the shops and cafes while the more energetic go up to the Castle and enjoy the panoramic views from there. Then there are always the beaches but avoid the one at the end of the airport runway!

Barbados Love Barbados and there is so much to do and enjoy here from just going to a great beach by one of the many hotels on the west coast and swimming lazing around or snorkelling to getting a taxi and doing an island tour out and around the Atlantic coast side where the country and the sea is a lot rougher. Bridgetown itself is OK but holds nothing that you won’t relly find in other towns throughout the Caribbean. Barbados seems to be back in business after the hurricane but expect some damage.

St Kitts ….Many people to the train trip there I have no experience of it but we did a taxi tour and found some interesting stops to wander in the forest and have a drink on (several) great beaches.

Antigua The town is a bit staid, be careful and streetwise here. We had no trouble an the few occasions we have been there and walked with ease in the town after the port. The beaches are well used too. Once more I remember taking a great taxi tour all around the coast and around the island up to see Admiral Nelsons docking port and into the hills for super views. There was certainly hurricane damage here but I know no more than that.

St Lucia. Enjoyed my visits there many times and they included the volcanic areas also a boat trip down to the Pitons, snorkelling in other parts and trips out to the Sugar Cane Manors. Not sure about hurricane damage here.

Hope this helps a little. ……Neil

Comment

That's amazing Neil thank you. My passion for planning is kind of freaking him out

Comment

That's great advice from Neil.
        I love St Maarten, but it did suffer dreadfully in the hurricanes, so not sure how it is now, but I would go back there right now in a heartbeat.
        Last week their live webcam went live again and as you can say, ships are in port!

Port St Maarten Webcam - PTZtv Live Streaming Cruise Port Web Cam
        Last edited by Val, Wolverhampton; 24th January 2018, 01:13 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Val, Wolverhampton View Post
          That's great advice from Neil.
          I love St Maarten, but it did suffer dreadfully in the hurricanes, so not sure how it is now, but I would go back there right now in a heartbeat.
          Last week their live webcam went live again and as you can say, ships are in port!

Port St Maarten Webcam - PTZtv Live Streaming Cruise Port Web Cam
          thanks Val

Comment

Loved the train trip on St Kitts We have done it 3 times. Swimming with turtles in Barbados was also a wonderful experience

Comment

You must do the St Kitts railway but watch out as the free punch is very potent !
              If it's available and you are able to do it then go river tubing for a fun packed and relaxing hour or so.

Rob

Comment

Thankyou. Where can I find out mor about the train in St Kitts?

Comment

Best get is look on the cruise company's website for st Kitts tours. Or just Google it. I would recommend going on the ships organised tours as (like I have said before on here), if the tour is delayed in any way, the ship WILL wait for you. If you go away from the ship on your own and there's an issue, you could find an empty berth at the port when you return. They are slightly more expensive but that guarantee is well worth it.

Comment

The Caribbean is the last place on earth I would take a ships tour on a 60 seater bus on roads that were never built for that size of transport.

The private operators virtually blockade the port entrance with their vans and open top trucks, (the best way to see most places IMO). They are trustworthy, friendly and reliable. You can choose your own pace, stop start move on and even stop at a beach on the way back to the ship. (they will gladly wait).

Tens of thousands do their own thing every week of the year on these tour buses. How many miss the ship? Probably as many as win the Euromillions.............Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

St Lucia: Cosol Tours has been used by a few of us on here and comes highly recommended. We used him a several years ago for a tour of St. Lucia. They use mini buses and take you a good tour of the main sights and attractions of the Island, including a Banana Plantation, Waterfall, Piton Mountains, Volcano, all the way stopping at various points to get fresh bread or cheese.

At the half way point he takes you to his sisters house where they have laid on a big spread of typical caribbean food for you to try. All the way around the route another van follows with all the drinks: soft drinks, cold beers, rum punch - everything food and drink is included in the price.

In the afternoon we got to go a short boat ride to a good beach for swimming and snorkelling, however I am not sure if he still includes this in his tours. All in all its very good value for money. Easy to find him on Google and just email him let him know what ship, what date. No payment required up front. Pay on day - no deposit required.

Comment

Just found him on Google - He still does the tours including the snorkelling $75 pp

Comment

BARBADOS
                          Get one of the many shared taxis for a ride downtown for a bit of retail therapy. One street back from the main road, its pedestrianised affordable shopping. Main street mainly jewellery stores.

From the ship you can walk a good 10-15 mins keeping to the shore on the right and you will find a good long stretch of decent public beach.

Comment

ANTIGUA
                            I would do some sightseeing with a stop at the beach on the way back. This can all be pre arranged with a local taxi, he will wait at the beach. There are 365 beaches on Antigua. My favourite is Darkwood.

Comment

Thank you Bradbury xx

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X