• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santorini to ban fatties on donkeys!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santorini to ban fatties on donkeys!

Just read an interesting article in the Mail online that says Greece has decided to ban overweight people from riding on the poor, overworked donkeys in places like Santorini. I’m not sure how to post a link to the article but all I can say is Hooray for common sense! People over a certain weight will have to find alternative means to get to the top. Guess they will have to queue for the cable car or get the boat to Oia and the bus back to Thira. My husband and I climbed all 588 steps up to the top 5 years ago and I have to state that it was a killer, but I did it. I may have sounded like Darth Vader on a respirator by the time we go to the top (with numerous stops) but I did it.

I am not sure how they will enforce this new ruling, but hopefully these people will think twice before climbing on the back of one of those poor creatures. What do all of you think of this?

Take care, Helen

Personally I would prefer if the donkeys didn’t have to carry anyone regardless of weight.

Comment

Hear hear Pippa! I agree 100%. Even though it was early November when we visited it was to us a glorious summers day. Those poor animals were sweating and shaking with exhaustion and this was as we were heading up mid morning. Heaven knows what they were like later on in the day.

Take care, Helen

Comment

About time too. I'm afraid I would not keep quiet if I saw a heavy adult riding a on key anywhere. We have very strict weight limits for all our horses at RDA depending on the animal's size and age. Many of these donkeys should not be working at all.

Comment

Music to my ears though it would be sweeter if there had been a total ban. I have walked the steps both up and down and it breaks my heart to see these poor animals trekking up and down those steps regardless of how hot it may be, with little foals tethered to their mothers. Awful!

Comment

I am all in favour of a total ban but remember the simple economic rules of supply and demand. If no-one was prepared to pay the fare for a ride on a donkey there would be no donkeys. It is those hundreds of people, fat and thin, that care more for their selfish desires than the health of the donkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
              I am all in favour of a total ban but remember the simple economic rules of supply and demand. If no-one was prepared to pay the fare for a ride on a donkey there would be no donkeys. It is those hundreds of people, fat and thin, that care more for their selfish desires than the health of the donkeys.
              Sorry, didn't mean to stop in mid sentence, pressed sent too early!

Should carry on...... that is the cause of the problem.

Comment

Any thing helps but I would love to see them banned. I think an issue is that many people have absolutely no idea what an animal that is struggling looks like. They don't notice the things that animal lovers do, split hooves, bad coats, the sores on their backs.

On a cruise ship we always urge others to avoid the donkeys and mules but Americans in particular are looking forward to using what they see as 'quaint and traditional' transport..Carol

Comment

It should be stopped altogether in my opinion, Same with the horses in Mdina and Valletta in Malta.

We seen 2 drop down dead last year on a scorching day in July, Stop it all I say.!! Jan.

Comment

It’s a head in the right direction but only time will tell if the new rules are actually adhered to by the donkey owners who simply want the tourists money.
                    this is a good result for horse welfare charities who have been campaigning for the plight of the Santorini donkeys for years.
                    I for one wouldn’t get off a ship in Santorini in my own little mini protest and also because I’d end up getting arrested if I saw any sort of mistreatment

Comment

You can't imagine how these animals have suffered over the years and it has taken until the 21st century to do something about it. When we were in Egypt one year we took a ride on an horse and carriage and the number of times the owner hit his horse was unbelievable. We expressed our objections by telling the guy to stop so we could get off and we had only gone about hundred yards. These animals are their source of income and the way they are allowed to treat them is scandalous.

Comment

I wouldn't use any animal for a joy ride, be it a donkey, a horse, a camel or an elephant. I have seen too many animals abused and neglected by their owners just to earn them a living with the tourists.

When we were in Cuba a few years ago, OH felt sorry for a horse that looked under fed. The poor animal was waiting for it's next lot of tourists to pull round the area. As OH approached the horse and went to stroke it, the poor animal turned and went to bite him.

20130411_143906.jpg

Jill

Comment

I am very aware that in a lot of Countries it is the persons living, but there should be a lot more restrictions in place. I think all adults should be banned from riding the donkeys, and only children should be allowed to ride them. .................................................. .................................................. .Carol

Comment

The Donkey Sanctuary of Devon has been working on Santorini now for some years, and has succeeded in changing a few things, such as fresh water and shade for donkeys. It's very difficult to change things when local powers don't see the need...Just as the EU has told Malta and Italy to stop shooting migrant birds, but if you've been raised to accept that this is the thing to do, then you might not see anything wrong with it.
                            Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                              The Donkey Sanctuary of Devon has been working on Santorini now for some years, and has succeeded in changing a few things, such as fresh water and shade for donkeys. It's very difficult to change things when local powers don't see the need...Just as the EU has told Malta and Italy to stop shooting migrant birds, but if you've been raised to accept that this is the thing to do, then you might not see anything wrong with it.

I remember reading about the Italian habit of shooting migrating birds years and years ago. I didn’t realise it still went on. I only hope that the Donkey Sanctuary of Devon is able to effect some changes there.

Take care, Helen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X