• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jane fans on now, compilation C5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topdeck, London
    started a topic Jane fans on now, compilation C5

Jane fans on now, compilation C5

Says new, but old stuff.

The funny bits... Might be some Jane drinking...

19:30-21:00

Jane probably needs some income.

Might hit catchup.

Think this link might work.

​​​​​​​https://www.channel5.com/show/cruisi...ships-giggles/

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    My father was a Chindit in Burma - Special Forces who worked deep behind enemy lines. They parachuted in - when asked why he would do such a dangerous thing as parachute in he said the alternative was a 48 hour route march through enemy territory which was less safe (oh, and we had an extra allowance!). The irony for him that he became unwell and was held back from his unit and had to make his own way to their rendezvous 24 hours after.

He didn't say much about the experience. However, he did say that they had some bad times adapting to civilian life. Notably when they were antagonised by the likes of Teddy Boys and so on. He said they had to exercise the utmost restraint and not react to anything. Their training as Special Forces combined with their harrowing experiences meant had they lost their temper they could easily snap with terrible consequences and some did. He stayed in the Army until 1953 and served most of his post war time in Germany as did many others.

LMM

Leave a comment:

• mags, cardiff
    replied
    I watched all the VJ output, morning and evening. My father served right through the war in different countries, ending in Burma. He always said they didnt even know the fighting in Europe was over. I thought about him much whilst watching, he died just 4 years ago aged 99.

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    War is terrible and can do strange things to military and civilian psyche.The British have their own cases too as do most countries who go to war,Kenya for example.
    We should never forget these incidents and should never stop trying to prevent similar happening again.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I don't watch Jane McDonald but I did watch the VJ commemoration.

I was emotionally drained at the end of the programme but glad I watched it. I thought there whole thing was extremely well produced and performed. I loved the music of course and was impressed by the technology that went into the imagery and sound, all to great effect.

Joanna Lumley was her usual professional self as a presenter but those that survived the war in the Far East and spoke to us all, were what made the production so poignant.

Oddly enough Mrs M. I am reading the book you recommended called The Glass Palace and have just reached the part where the Japanese invaded Malaya.

Just as with the Holocaust, we should never forget the horrors of the war with Japan.
    My edition has now been read by five friends [ left in the garage for a couple of days after handing on, to do the obligatory de-Covid, just in case]. All, loved it.

Leave a comment:

• All at sea, Yorks
    replied
    I watched and enjoyed some of both programmes, Jane and her down to earth ‘Yorkshire’ humour and the very poignant VJ Day evening commemoration. It was very well done as was the service in the Arboretum, Staffordshire earlier in the day.

My daughter whilst at school had the opportunity to spend some time in Japan and stayed with a host family and met a lot of Japanese people who were very welcoming and generous with gifts for her. We later got to know and meet the host family when they came to the UK and stayed with us. I would say they were most polite and friendly, a world of difference from the Japanese we heard about last night!

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Might be some Jane drinking...
    Sounds very likely!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Dating from feudal times the Japanese believed there were only two outcomes in battle. Victory or death. Surrender was dishonourable and not an option. Hence the rise of "seppuku, ritual suicide by disembowelment, by defeated warriors to avoid falling into enemy hands and to attenuate shame and avoid possible torture.

Those who surrendered were beneath contempt and had no value, hence the treatment of captured Allied soldiers. Of course not all soldiers were fully signed up to what we regard as the mistreatment of prisoners but it was obey orders from on high or else.

From my time in Japan the people were the most polite, courteous and helpful of any people I have met anywhere. There were certainly no discernible "warrior" or "cruel" traits anywhere.
    I had quite a few lovely Japanese friends whilst in KL and we frequently meet a wonderful couple on QV.

I don't think anyone [with no WW2 memories to harbour] equates the psyche of a Japanese warrior with, as you say, the polite and courteous Japanese citizen of today.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    A true story...I used to work with a guy who spent his time on the Burma Railway.

When he finally got back home he was 6 stone wet through,,within minutes of walking through the front door his mother cried “Oh Paddy look at the state of you I’ll make you something to eat that’ll put the meat back on your bones”.

A little later she came from the kitchen with a great steaming bowl of ‘rice pudding

Paddy threw the rice pudding at the wall and went to the pub.

A real character was Paddy I don’t think he ever bought a pint himself,a real storyteller.

In later years he became known as a ‘professional mourner’ he went to a funeral every day,,some said it was just for the buffet after.
    ​​​​​​​JC

Last edited by jc, liverpool; 16th August 2020, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    My uncle John was captured when Singapore surrendered.
    He never slept with the light off and had terrible nightmares.
    He also never took his shirt off in company due to his back being a mass of scars from the lashings they got from the guards for not working hard enough.
    The Japanese hated them for surrendering.
    The only thing he ever said was he was one of the lucky ones as somehow he survived.
    A big old softie who had no hatred for his captors.

At peace now.

Garf
    Dating from feudal times the Japanese believed there were only two outcomes in battle. Victory or death. Surrender was dishonourable and not an option. Hence the rise of "seppuku, ritual suicide by disembowelment, by defeated warriors to avoid falling into enemy hands and to attenuate shame and avoid possible torture.

Those who surrendered were beneath contempt and had no value, hence the treatment of captured Allied soldiers. Of course not all soldiers were fully signed up to what we regard as the mistreatment of prisoners but it was obey orders from on high or else.

From my time in Japan the people were the most polite, courteous and helpful of any people I have met anywhere. There were certainly no discernible "warrior" or "cruel" traits anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Mason, Altrincham
    replied
    Many years ago our son had to do a project on WWII for his history class in High School. The students were asked to speak to an elderly relative or neighbour about their experiences during the war. Andrew spoke to our lovely neighbour Brian who it turns out was raised in Malaysia and ended up in a civilian prisoner of war camp there with his family. Our son was blown away by his recollections as we had never heard anything before that to indicate what he and his family had suffered. Brian was one of life’s true gentlemen and he is still missed by all who knew him on our road.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    My uncle John was captured when Singapore surrendered.
    He never slept with the light off and had terrible nightmares.
    He also never took his shirt off in company due to his back being a mass of scars from the lashings they got from the guards for not working hard enough.
    The Japanese hated them for surrendering.
    The only thing he ever said was he was one of the lucky ones as somehow he survived.
    A big old softie who had no hatred for his captors.

At peace now.

Garf
    I had an uncle who was a POW and worked on the Burma railway. He never spoke about it.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Mum was born August 15th, her initials were VJ

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Did not watch any TV last night, was at our daughters for a family roast dinner get together, followed by watching our grandchildren enjoying themselves in the hot tub.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Poor you.
    I guess having lived in Malaysia, I feel part of anything to do with the area. We often visited Singapore and the history of the area is 'part' of me.
    I was lucky enough to visit Changi thirty odd years ago and saw the museum, which is closed to the public now, in situ. We often visited Kranji Memorial, with visitors.
    I don't watch Jane McDonald but I did watch the VJ commemoration.

I was emotionally drained at the end of the programme but glad I watched it. I thought there whole thing was extremely well produced and performed. I loved the music of course and was impressed by the technology that went into the imagery and sound, all to great effect.

Joanna Lumley was her usual professional self as a presenter but those that survived the war in the Far East and spoke to us all, were what made the production so poignant.

Oddly enough Mrs M. I am reading the book you recommended called The Glass Palace and have just reached the part where the Japanese invaded Malaya.

Just as with the Holocaust, we should never forget the horrors of the war with Japan.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X