• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jane fans on now, compilation C5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Might be some Jane drinking...
    Sounds very likely!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I watched and enjoyed some of both programmes, Jane and her down to earth ‘Yorkshire’ humour and the very poignant VJ Day evening commemoration. It was very well done as was the service in the Arboretum, Staffordshire earlier in the day.

My daughter whilst at school had the opportunity to spend some time in Japan and stayed with a host family and met a lot of Japanese people who were very welcoming and generous with gifts for her. We later got to know and meet the host family when they came to the UK and stayed with us. I would say they were most polite and friendly, a world of difference from the Japanese we heard about last night!

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I don't watch Jane McDonald but I did watch the VJ commemoration.

I was emotionally drained at the end of the programme but glad I watched it. I thought there whole thing was extremely well produced and performed. I loved the music of course and was impressed by the technology that went into the imagery and sound, all to great effect.

Joanna Lumley was her usual professional self as a presenter but those that survived the war in the Far East and spoke to us all, were what made the production so poignant.

Oddly enough Mrs M. I am reading the book you recommended called The Glass Palace and have just reached the part where the Japanese invaded Malaya.

Just as with the Holocaust, we should never forget the horrors of the war with Japan.
        My edition has now been read by five friends [ left in the garage for a couple of days after handing on, to do the obligatory de-Covid, just in case]. All, loved it.

Comment

War is terrible and can do strange things to military and civilian psyche.The British have their own cases too as do most countries who go to war,Kenya for example.
          We should never forget these incidents and should never stop trying to prevent similar happening again.

Comment

I watched all the VJ output, morning and evening. My father served right through the war in different countries, ending in Burma. He always said they didnt even know the fighting in Europe was over. I thought about him much whilst watching, he died just 4 years ago aged 99.

Comment

My father was a Chindit in Burma - Special Forces who worked deep behind enemy lines. They parachuted in - when asked why he would do such a dangerous thing as parachute in he said the alternative was a 48 hour route march through enemy territory which was less safe (oh, and we had an extra allowance!). The irony for him that he became unwell and was held back from his unit and had to make his own way to their rendezvous 24 hours after.

He didn't say much about the experience. However, he did say that they had some bad times adapting to civilian life. Notably when they were antagonised by the likes of Teddy Boys and so on. He said they had to exercise the utmost restraint and not react to anything. Their training as Special Forces combined with their harrowing experiences meant had they lost their temper they could easily snap with terrible consequences and some did. He stayed in the Army until 1953 and served most of his post war time in Germany as did many others.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X