• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Men Who Built Liners - Wednesday, BBC Four 7:30pm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Men Who Built Liners - Wednesday, BBC Four 7:30pm

    Excellent series covering the history of Ocean Liner building. 8 episodes in all, tomorrow's (11 Nov) is the 3rd in the series with the previous eposide on BBC iplayer, details : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nnm7k

    "Many of the most famous passenger liners in history were built in the British Isles, several in the shipyards along the banks of the Clyde. This series combines personal accounts and archive footage to evoke a vivid picture of the unique culture that grew up in the Clyde shipyards. Despite some of the harshest working conditions in industrial history and dire industrial relations, it was here that the Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth and the QE2 were built. Such was the Clyde shipbuilders' pride in their work, and the strength of public support, that in 1971 they were able to defy a government attempt to close them down and win the right to carry on shipbuilding."
    sigpic
    Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
    Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

    #2
    Originally posted by grantthomas, Emsworth View Post
    Excellent series covering the history of Ocean Liner building. 8 episodes in all, tomorrow's (11 Nov) is the 3rd in the series with the previous eposide on BBC iplayer, details : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nnm7k

    "Many of the most famous passenger liners in history were built in the British Isles, several in the shipyards along the banks of the Clyde. This series combines personal accounts and archive footage to evoke a vivid picture of the unique culture that grew up in the Clyde shipyards. Despite some of the harshest working conditions in industrial history and dire industrial relations, it was here that the Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth and the QE2 were built. Such was the Clyde shipbuilders' pride in their work, and the strength of public support, that in 1971 they were able to defy a government attempt to close them down and win the right to carry on shipbuilding."
    we've set it to record! well we've got to watch it as we live in Glasgow and my Granda and uncle worked in the shipyards.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks, Grant- it was well worth watching.- Jo.
      Jo.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Grant - didn't realise there were 8. Shall wtach out for parts 4 - 8

        Comment


          #5
          watched it the other night. so very interesting. now thats what I call unity, the whole of Great Britain sending in donations, including John Lennon and Yoko Ono , to help these hard working men and their families. great idea of Jimmy Reid's to organise a work in. it's just a shame that the bosses did'nt update/upgrade the equipment so that the Clyde shipbuilders were still building liners. this country needs good shipbuilders, just imagine the big cruise ships/liners sailing down the Clyde wow.
          Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 13th November 2009, 07:22 PM.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

          Comment


            #6
            am I missing something? I put a series link for the programme but I cannot see the next programme on my planner, Iv'e also looked up TV guide and it's not there does anyone know when it's back on again?
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

            Comment


              #7
              What happened?

              The Men Who Built Liners = Past tense!
              Did they not pass on their skills to men of the present generation?

              What happened?
              Britain simply stopped making liners?
              Did the jobs go to China? or to Finland? -or worse yet...to Italy?
              What happened?

              .
              Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

              Comment


                #8
                I've missed out on this programme by the look of it. Hope it will be on again.

                My great great grandfather John Bennett was a ship's carpenter in Belfast but he died in 1902 when he was in his late seventies. I keep meaning to find out what ships he might have worked on from about 1840 onwards.

                Anyone else got family connections with Northern Ireland?
                Liz

                Comment


                  #9
                  We only make mmm

                  Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
                  The Men Who Built Liners = Past tense!
                  Did they not pass on their skills to men of the present generation?

                  What happened?
                  Britain simply stopped making liners?
                  Did the jobs go to China? or to Finland? -or worse yet...to Italy?
                  What happened?
                  .
                  We all started working in service industrys like banking

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Liz, Harrogate View Post
                    I've missed out on this programme by the look of it. Hope it will be on again.

                    My great great grandfather John Bennett was a ship's carpenter in Belfast but he died in 1902 when he was in his late seventies. I keep meaning to find out what ships he might have worked on from about 1840 onwards.

                    Anyone else got family connections with Northern Ireland?
                    Liz
                    my grandparents were from Cookstown, near Co Antrum. they moved to Glasgow about 1900. my Granda and eventually his son. my uncle worked on the docks. they couldn't work there unless they were in an union and to be in one someone had to propose you and as they had to take the day off work my granda and uncle had to pay them a days wage. my mum remembered them comming home covered in 'white powder' ie asbestos
                    a few of my aunts and cousins married Irish men both from the north and south.
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
                      The Men Who Built Liners = Past tense!
                      Did they not pass on their skills to men of the present generation?

                      What happened?
                      Britain simply stopped making liners?
                      Did the jobs go to China? or to Finland? -or worse yet...to Italy?
                      What happened?

                      .
                      the goverment closed down the Clydeside shipyards in the 60's even although their order books were full. the unions, led by Jimmy Reid (union leader) held a 'work in' and filled all the orders but the govermrnt still closed our shipyards. however the owners of the various ship yards did not update their equipment. the men were still building great ships with out of date equipment. both the goverment and the owners were to blame for the demise of Clyde shipyards and thousands of job losses and great skills. Thats what happened.
                      Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 21st November 2009, 04:04 PM.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've been on holiday so missed this thread starting. I've seen some of the programme which is very nostalgic for anyone who worked or had relatives working in the yards.

                        The working conditions were, as already described, dreadful and dangerous to health. They were glad to have the work even though they could be laid off when a ship was completed with no promise of being taken back on when a new order came in. Of course once the unions and demarkation of trades came in things improved somewhat.

                        I worked as a young girl in the offices of one of the big Glasgow yards for a few years in the 1960s and I was there when the Labour government came in to create Upper Clyde Shipbuilders by combining some of the yards and saving them from receivership. It was an exciting time and for the first time management, unions and men had a common purpose to save the yards. Apprentices were given formal as well as practical training and there was great hope that the yards would go forward with modern work practices. Sean Connery came to our yard to make a film for television around this time called 'The Bowler and the Bunnet' to tell the story (I can't tell you how exciting that was for we girls!). It seemed that we were turning things round and there was great hope for the future.

                        Unfortunately, as we know, things turned out very differently. The government's participation in the venture was withdrawn the dream ended. I wasn't there when Jimmy Reid and the unions staged their 'work-in' but it was great to see the men put up such a fight. The yard where I worked is one of the few that still exists and producing ships but is foreign owned and managed.

                        I truly believe if Upper Clyde Shipbuilders had been allowed a few more years with government subsidy to implement the new initiatives that things would have turned out very differently for the industry, not only on the Clyde, but as a whole. As I've said elsewhere, when you see how the cruise industry has created such a huge market for liners it just breaks my heart to think that we could have been doing that work here. This of course applies to many other engineering and manufacturing industries like building railroads and locomotives where we were world leaders which we have lost and other countries now produce.

                        Just a few personal memories, how it's not too long a rant.
                        Last edited by MarieC, Troon; 18th November 2009, 09:37 AM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I've looked again and again but despite what Grants says I think there are only 3 episodes (sadly)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Kelvin, Christchurch View Post
                            I've looked again and again but despite what Grants says I think there are only 3 episodes (sadly)
                            I have done a programme search on the Sky TV Guide but nothing. Will have to keep a look out for this one. If anyone spots it give the rest of us the heads up !!
                            Thanks

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yes I've been checking on the planner as well and not seen another episode advertised. The confusion being that it did say 3/8 suggesting it was the third of 8 programmes. Apologies for any confusion
                              sigpic
                              Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
                              Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
                              Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
                              Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X