• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live coverage of three ships leaving Southampton tonight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live coverage of three ships leaving Southampton tonight

Disney Magic is scheduled to leave Southampton this evening. You can watch live, with commentary on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZUHFPIecis . Two other ships, Marella Explorer and Celebrity Silhouette are also leaving Southampton around the same time.

At least at low capacity we should not get Southampton moaning about the traffic.

Comment

There is now a Town Quay Cam so people can check for ferry queues. The problems I've had at busy times have always been the queue to get into Ikea. Not knowing the area, at first I didn't realise the left hand lane was for the Ikea car park, meatballs and the like!

Comment

Thanks for sharing the video. It was lovely to see the ships actually sailing.

Mind you It’s making me more scunnered that my Aug Cunard cruise was cancelled. 🙈😂
        Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 9th July 2021, 09:13 PM.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Issy, it's me, Liz, not been here for ages, maybe three years. We've become grandparents in that time so hardly have a free moment as she only lives two streets away. I sympathise over Cunard cancellation because we've had 2020 and 2021 cancelled. Should have been off to the Baltic tomorrow . Have now moved our booking to Aurora to the Med next May instead. xxx

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
        At least at low capacity we should not get Southampton moaning about the traffic.
        Mind you, the ships are double the passenger capacity that they used to be and now there is another new terminal (Horizon) I bet the roads have not been expanded in order to cope!
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure you're right, Malcolm. On more than one occasion we've stayed at the Holiday Inn by Mayflower Park on a Saturday night and getting there has been dreadful with the queues trying to get into Ikea. A few times we've been at the other newer terminal (near the piles of scrap metal ) and I haven't been keen on the decor at all. To my mind, it needs cheering up with bright holiday colours, and the new one looks similarly dreary.

I always come down through town now forget using the road into IKEA unless going in through gate 20.

I had the feed on this morning and it reminded me why we don't do sail away out of Southampton unless sunny and a decent outside bar

got one of paint drying for tomorrow

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          Our tomtom has sometimes taken us home via The Avenue when we've been leaving berth 46 so we might be better off programming it to come down that direction instead. One thing I'd never do is drive down to Southampton on the day our cruise was leaving.

We now try to drive in through the town, past the Common, depending on where we’ve stayed the night before. But more than once have taken a wrong turn and ended up crossing the Itchen and have to drive down on the other side! Back over the lower bridge and past Ocean Village to the port gate.

I’m not sure if that ‘s better or worse than ending up in Ikea!

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          Ha! At least you get a nice trip around the suburbs. Whoever decided to locate Ikea there should be made to walk the plank. We once went in to get a coffee and snack and that wasn't very pleasant either. Our nearest Ikea is Batley and that's usually quite a relaxing visit.

I’m experimenting on how to reply as I usually just ‘quote’....see if this works.

We’ve passed that Ikea, quite some time ago now, but being so close to the M62 it’s very easy to get to.

Ah....it didn’t work!

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          We travel over from Harrogate which is a bit of a trek.

Hi Liz or should that be Granny Liz, nice to hear from you. Welcome back. Hope you and S are keeping well. X

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Issy, hope you and Alex and the family are well, too. We're good here, thanks. I was thinking about you the other day because we were thinking of our options for next May's cruise and we always like to stay at the Holiday Inn but there is a boating event on next May and I wasn't sure we would get in. We did, but the other option could have been the De Vere, or Leonardo I think it's called. I remember your stay there that they'd overbooked! I think it's been sold a couple of times since. xxx

We are both well thanks Liz. What date is the boat show? We have a P&O cruise departing 7th May.

Good memory, yes they moved us but gave us a free night which we used the next time we were in Southampton.

Comment

• CruiseTraveller, Yorks
          Editing a comment
          Hi Issy, the South Coast Boat Show is from 6-8 May 2022 in Southampton. We were lucky and managed to book for the night of May 4 at the Holiday Inn, but they had blocked out time before that and after it. When they have the main boat show in September they have the press office at the Holiday Inn so the area is very busy but I don't know about this one. If you haven't yet booked to stay you might want to make sure you can get something. I was surprised how few rooms were left at the Holiday Inn for the 4th.

Thanks Liz for the dates. I guess we’ll book a hotel in Winchester or Newbury and give Southampton a miss.

Comment

using the comment option(where ever that is) that sticks the reply in a post breaks the thread flow and can be easily missed if you use go to first uread.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X