• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watchdog 23 Sep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchdog 23 Sep

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Watchdog, 23/09/2010

Next on:

Thursday, 20:00 on BBC One

Synopsis

Undercover cameras expose the true conditions on board one of the UK's most popular cruise ships. Plus complaints about new-build homes, and a rogue fly-tipper caught in the act.
    Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Originally posted by Sophiesnores, Basingstoke View Post

Next on:

Synopsis

Undercover cameras expose the true conditions on board one of the UK's most popular cruise ships. Plus complaints about new-build homes, and a rogue fly-tipper caught in the act.
    Apparently its the Thomsons Dream.Interestingly the recent reviews have been much better, but presume the hidden cameras were there earlier in the year when there was a great deal of dissatisfaction from passangers.

Comment

It's what we do.

Most of us have noticed for ages now that the reviews that get the most views are the ones with low marks meaning, I suppose, dissatisfaction.

We seem to revel in controversy and the misfortunes of others so the next edition of Watchdog has got to one to watch. ....Neil

Comment

Watchdog will only show the worst of the early problems with the Dream.

Why do people on here take great delight in posting this type of information, surely those already booked and about to cruise on the Dream will really enjoy reading these posts.

As I have said elsewhere most of the problems have indeed been sorted out, Thomson have have handed out compo in most cases, why not post the positive side instead of these negative ones.
        Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

I remember watching the first two episodes of 'Cruise Ship' several years ago which showed all the problems on the 'new' Island Escape which we were booked-on the following week.

Guess what?............ we had a great time with no problems at all and even booked another cruise on her.

Recent reviews show it isn't all bad on the Dream and I guess it's getting better all the time.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Sophiesnores, Basingstoke View Post

Next on:

Synopsis

Thanks Helen, I'm sure lots of us will be watching. I'll not tell my friends though, who are booked on The Dream in January. I'm just hoping that the problems filmed by Watchdog are now sorted.
            Jill

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
              Watchdog will only show the worst of the early problems with the Dream.

Why do people on here take great delight in posting this type of information....
              Thomson deserve all they get!

Since 'Dream' was introduced into service with Thomson in May, there have been many very poor reviews on this site (1-2 stars) and others. I agree that they are now getting better, but there were still some very poor reviews at the end of August. Thomson clearly provided a sub-standard/unacceptable cruise experience and have disappointed thousands of passengers.

Many passengers have struggled to get compensation from Thomson and when they have successful, it has often been quite low.

The ship should have been taken out of service in June and given a thorough overhaul - but of course Thomson would have lot income. Thomson should be ashamed of themselves.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                Thomson deserve all they get!

Since 'Dream' was introduced into service with Thomson in May, there have been many very poor reviews on this site (1-2 stars) and others. I agree that they are now getting better, but there were still some very poor reviews at the end of August. Thomson clearly provided a sub-standard/unacceptable cruise experience and have disappointed thousands of passengers.

Many passengers have struggled to get compensation from Thomson and when they have successful, it has often been quite low.

The ship should have been taken out of service in June and given a thorough overhaul - but of course Thomson would have lot income. Thomson should be ashamed of themselves.
                I have no problem with reading reviews from people who have been on this ship, but, how the hell can some folk say anything about it who have not, other than to repeat what is written by unsatisfied customers.

To many quote the bad reviews yet fail to see or say anything about the good ones. since the begining of August I have read 51 reviews about the Dream 36 have been positive.

You lot just take delight in pointing out the worst of all cruises.
                Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Ok did you watch it - what did you think of the reporting. I was dismayed at their 'we identified it wasn't a new ship at all' Thomsons never hid that.

But I empathise with those that sailed in the first few weeks when there were big issues.

Comment

Good reporting?

I had a look at the last reviews on here of Dream and it could be that the Watchdog report was out of date.

There are several 5* reviews there now and although there is a little criticism I seen far worse on more upmarket ships.

Obviously there seems to have been a problem when the ship was viewed by Watchdog but was that too long ago? Watch the up-coming reviews to find out.. ....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggertastic, W Yorks View Post
                      Ok did you watch it - what did you think of the reporting. I was dismayed at their 'we identified it wasn't a new ship at all' Thomsons never hid that.
                      Ah, Watchdog at its Tabloid/red top best.... THere are many cruise lines that don't have 'new' ships... it's not necessarily a big deal.

Originally posted by Tiggertastic, W Yorks View Post
                      But I empathise with those that sailed in the first few weeks when there were big issues.
                      Agreed. A company the size of THomson should know better...

Should being the operative word...

Comment

Thompson have lied about the "refit" the Dream is going in for in October if what
                        watchdog says is true and its actually going in for engineering work.
                        I am now dreading our two week Caribbean cruise booked for February 2011, its our first cruise and we are saving hard for it, we were assured just after booking that everything would be fine by the time we go, wish we could cancel now, my sisters 60th birthday
                        present could be being stuck in a two week nightmare.

Comment

I have cruised on the Dream

The cabins are fine, better than other Thomsons ships
                          The public rooms are good, better than other Thomsons ships
                          Entertainment good
                          food good
                          crew excellent

aircon not working properly
                          plumbing issues!
                          broken desalination plant
                          no stern thruster

The 6 week drydock in Germany in October should give time to fix everything and cruisers in the winter season should have a better cruise than the unfortunate minority during the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac, warrington View Post
                            Thompson have lied about the "refit" the Dream is going in for in October if what
                            watchdog says is true and its actually going in for engineering work.
                            I am now dreading our two week Caribbean cruise booked for February 2011, its our first cruise and we are saving hard for it, we were assured just after booking that everything would be fine by the time we go, wish we could cancel now, my sisters 60th birthday
                            present could be being stuck in a two week nightmare.
                            The trouble with Cruise operators like Thompson is that the ships run are Leased to them.A refurb is usually a few new carpets and new sound systems.But they are obliged to keep the Mechanical side up to scratch.The Dream is 24 yrs old and a cast off from Costa cruises made in Italy.A nation of Ferrari and Pasta but not shipbuilders.

Following the accurate report on Watchdog you have every right to cancel the arrangements and look elswhere.

Comment

Although clearly there are some right rip-off cowboys out there, who it is good to expose, it is always interesting to note that when one is acquainted with a sector that comes under that sneering, hectoring, 'Weakest Link' women's gaze (or her cohorts) it is quite clear they haven't got a clue what they're talking about. It was also out of date.

We travelled with Thomson this year on Thomson Spirit and had an excellent cruise, and I would put their food and service on par with P&O and their entertainment higher than P&O. Spirit being the only ship where I have had both a shower and a bath, our cabin was far larger with more storage space than those we have had on P&O, also it contained a mini bar. Cannot comment on other cruise lines, because these are the only two I have been on.

Costa still own the Dream, Thomson have only chartered it for 10 years.

I would not hesitate to cruise with Thomson again, in fact we are thinking of going back to Israel with them again next year.
                              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd September 2010, 10:13 PM.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X