• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jane McDonald's Latest Series.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jane McDonald's Latest Series.

I note that no one has commented on J McD’s latest series around Australia and New Zealand on HAL’s Noordam and South America and beyond on Seabourn Muse.
    Australasia has never been on my absolute must do list, but I did like the look of Noordam, what bit we saw of it.
    I’ve never given too much thought to the west coast of South America and quite honestly I’m glad I haven’t.

I thought the first few ports had little to offer, the weather getting colder and windier as each day passed. The Glaciers and blue icebergs were impressive, but nothing I had not seen on an Alaskan cruise.

The Falklands appears to be a challenge for every cruise ship captain as to will they, won’t they make it through the weather.
    Why I ask myself? One word came to mind when they arrived there………Godforsaken!

I guess I can understand the kudos of saying “We’ve been there”, but why?

The only time I started to get interested in this cruise was when they turned back north to Buenos Aires. The old town with its street dancing of the Argentine Tango reminded me of the vibrancy of Havana and even the commercial side of the city would have held my interest as would the last couple of ports in Uruguay.

I didn’t get any vibes about the ship Muse, good or bad from the programme, although I could well do without the rose petals sloshing around in my daily bath.

For me, it seemed an awful long journey for little in return…………Wilba
    Wilba

There was a thread it dried up after the first episode.

Still to watch the rest.

Comment

I watched the episodes that covered calling in at Sydney because I will be going there in November.

Sadly, she didn't get time to do very much, although I was interested in her doing the walk over the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I have been thinking 'Shall I, Shan't I?' for a while but having seen Jane do it, I think that I'm probably too old and unfit to attempt it myself.

I would like to visit to New Zealand one day but who knows if I ever will?
      Jill

Comment

Thought both programs very good ,and having more time to show the ports an improvement.
        Liked the look of both ships ,but never going to fly that far for any holiday.
        Wonder where to next ....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

I have never had any desire to visit South America, and although somehow a visit to the Falklands does appeal, the chances are you wouldn't be able to tender because of the weather. I wouldn't mind beaming down a la Startrek! The NZ/Australia cruise was a different matter. Thouroughly enjoyed it, and would go again, although the flight wasn't much fun. Beam me up, Scottie?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
            I note that no one has commented on J McD’s latest series around Australia and New Zealand on HAL’s Noordam and South America and beyond on Seabourn Muse.
            I've not watched them yet, I have them on a recorder.

I must admit the novelty of her programme has worn off a little me. Although there is some nice scenery, the programme is not a cruise review by any means.

It's not about the ship, food, entertainment or on-board services. It's not always about the ports - Jane does things in the ports of call which are sometimes not available to the general public. Jane loves everything which does not help us make a choice!

It is normally entertaining though - which I suppose is its aim.
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Same here, all recorded but non watched. I will wait till there is nothing else on and catch up but I agree that although entertaining nothing I have seen so far has made me rush out and book a cruise on a line I hadn't previously considered.

Some of the ports in the past series have looked lovely though..Carol

p.s.. does she still sing at the end ?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                Same here, all recorded but non watched. I will wait till there is nothing else on and catch up but I agree that although entertaining nothing I have seen so far has made me rush out and book a cruise on a line I hadn't previously considered.

Some of the ports in the past series have looked lovely though..Carol

p.s.. does she still sing at the end ?:ohwell
                :
                Yes she does Carol.
                Jill

Comment

I haven't seen any either, I'll catch up eventually, when there is nothing else on. I do find the programmes quite entertaining.
                  .................................................. ...................Carol

Comment

I did the same journey's on the world cruises on the PO Aurora . I did the same ports as Jane Argentina, Montevideo ,Falklands, Chile, round Cape Horn, across the Pacific Oz and up the Milford sound to name a few, those ice fields were a sight to behold we approached them through a glass sea, little bits of iced cover the sea and they had blue hue such quietness and untouched.

We started in Brazil Rio De Janerio we saw, Sugarloaf mountain we accessed that by cable car some sight and you could see all the beaches and landmarks all around then onto Christ the Redeemer we had a wonderful day, we walked along the beach where they all play football a perfect day mixing with the Locals.

The Falklands had wonderful beaches although you couldn't use them as they had signs saying forbidden, because there was the danger of mines still washing up, they were down to earth people, a lot from the South West, so interesting to listen to their stories they were pleased to talk to us, we all ended up or most of us did in the pubs the weather was absolutely wonderful and yes we met a few penguins.

Buenos Aires, 'the city of the dead, where we also saw the Duarte tomb where Eva Peron is buried it really is a city whole families buried in tombs above the ground , some with curtains in the windows, some relatives gather there on anniversaries .

We went to see an evening tango show again with bloodied steaks which again I had to by pass, but what a show 'Strictly comes nowhere near it was an amazing evening.

Tangos on street corners ,the widest streets you ever saw, and they also have a monument to their Falkland dead guarded by soldiers with the eternal flame still very sad.

Montevideo Uruguay superb place, some many places of interest s but history also because that is where they scuttled the Graf Spee at the battle of the River Plate they still have range finders on the quayside and anchors , we visited a farm where we had the biggest and bloodiest steaks[I by passed them] so much wine [their own wine] it was wonderful.

They also had the biggest display of old cars , Cadillac's , old farm machinery and ancient guns which my husband loved ,they entertained us with folk dancing, then we were treated to the Groucho's galloping upto a board where they fired their spear or arrow into the bulls eye a wonderful day out meeting these lovey people .

So don't write of South America , so much history and traditions lovely people I would go again in a heart beat if I were able.

Jane showed us how to shop and have a good time but none of the history and background of South America'

As for NZ and the sounds again it was wonderful we learnt the history of the Scotsman who lived there most of his life it had a certain eeriness about it as it was so quiet, the waterfalls, pure mountain water , dolphins, fish and birds it was a paradise so quiet and clean not ruined by man.

Never say never, but again it all depends on what you want out of a holiday , discovery, relaxation, or just sunbathing, me I history and discovery and I certainly had those on my world cruise.CG
                    sigpic

Comment

Australasia has never been on my absolute must do list, but I did like the look of Noordam, what bit we saw of it.
                      I’ve never given too much thought to the west coast of South America and quite honestly I’m glad I haven’t.

I thought the first few ports had little to offer, the weather getting colder and windier as each day passed. The Glaciers and blue icebergs were impressive, but nothing I had not seen on an Alaskan cruise.

The Falklands appears to be a challenge for every cruise ship captain as to will they, won’t they make it through the weather.

The only time I started to get interested in this cruise was when they turned back north to Buenos Aires. The old town with its street dancing of the Argentine Tango reminded me of the vibrancy of Havana and even the commercial side of the city would have held my interest as would the last couple of ports in Uruguay.

I didn’t get any vibes about the ship Muse, good or bad from the programme, although I could well do without the rose petals sloshing around in my daily bath.

Muse is not a Seabourn ship, she belongs to Silverseas.

Comment

We love the Jane series. You only really get glimpses of the ship and destinations but it is an entertaining show and a ship fix. I'd like to see her do some Uk based ones other than the Hebrides one she did.

Comment

I agree with you Wilba wouldn't dash out there to book a cruise for South America after watching the programme. Sydney to L.A. and Sydney to Bangkok are far better options.

Comment

I actually preferred the South American cruise - the Welsh connection with Patagonia is so interesting. Never been interested in Australia and New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                              Muse is not a Seabourn ship, she belongs to Silverseas.
                              Thanks for the correction Judith, it's an age thing..............Wilba
                              Wilba

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X