• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruising with Jane McD...Or is it that...Ports of Call with Jane McD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cruising with Jane McD...Or is it that...Ports of Call with Jane McD?

    Really disappointed with last nights episode of Cruising with Jane McDonald. Would have been better titled "Ports of Call with Jane McDonald".
    Did I blink, well I must have! was it on a river cruise, what did I learn about river cruising, nothing.

    This was one programe I was really looking forward to, I wanted see the flow of a river cruise ship, the facilities, the food, get the general ethos and feel of it, what sort of entertainment. But apart from a cheese tasting session, nothing was shown as regards to life on board ship.

    Instead we see Jane galavanting off on DIY excursions around the ports. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed seeing the ports, but why wasnt she with the ships excursions as thats what I thought River cruising was about, enjoying all the included excursions, or maybe the passengers wanted to remain anonymous. I just didnt get it.

    Maybe the producers have no idea about cruising and what we want to see on our TV screens.

    #2
    I thought this was the worst of the three we have seen so far,I learned how to taste wine and that was about it? boat seemed nice enough but not much boat to see in any case? and the scenery nice enough, nothing I saw would have me booking or looking at a river cruise, hope next week's is better...Taffy
    ​Taffy

    Comment


      #3
      I think she's promoting what you can do, if you have the money, on a river cruise as there may not be much to promote on the ship. Could be wrong but why else would she drive, or be driven miles for a balloon flight or a ride on an old train. Obviously not much in the way of entertainment onboard as you are expected to go ashore for it as they stay overnight, unlike sea going cruises where you travel overnight.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Top Deck, Waterlooville View Post
        I think she's promoting what you can do, if you have the money, on a river cruise as there may not be much to promote on the ship. Could be wrong but why else would she drive, or be driven miles for a balloon flight or a ride on an old train. Obviously not much in the way of entertainment onboard as you are expected to go ashore for it as they stay overnight, unlike sea going cruises where you travel overnight.
        Hmmm but then why go on a river cruise to taste wine, there is a vinyard 30 minutes drive away from where I live, I bet another hour away I could pick up a balloon ride. What I wanted to know is what makes people pay circa £2000 for a weeks river cruise... I didnt see what pax were getting for their money.

        Comment


          #5
          Last nights programme was typical of the series so far and of the last series, all about Jane not enough about the ships or life on board, at least she didn't sing. I believe a wasted opportunity to show what river cruising is all about.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
            I thought this was the worst of the three we have seen so far,I learned how to taste wine and that was about it? boat seemed nice enough but not much boat to see in any case? and the scenery nice enough, nothing I saw would have me booking or looking at a river cruise, hope next week's is better...Taffy
            I have river cruised and there is not a lot to see on any boat I have sailed.

            Unlike ocean cruising, the boat/ship is NOT the destination but the Ports of Call are.

            Annie

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              I have river cruised and there is not a lot to see on any boat I have sailed.

              Unlike ocean cruising, the boat/ship is NOT the destination but the Ports of Call are.

              Annie
              So its a glorified Bus Ride then. lol that costs mega money.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by captain pugwash, Haverfordwest View Post
                Last nights programme was typical of the series so far and of the last series, all about Jane not enough about the ships or life on board, at least she didn't sing. I believe a wasted opportunity to show what river cruising is all about.
                So you missed the Bonnie Tyler ending...Lost in France

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                  So its a glorified Bus Ride then. lol that costs mega money.
                  That is indeed what some river cruises turned into when the water levels of the Elbe were low.

                  I think some recent Australian river boat cruisers won a class action against Scenic on that very issue.

                  For Balance, read Malcolm's blog on his river cruise.

                  Not all river cruises are the same - not all have excursions included in the fare for example.

                  Annie

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I didn't see the programme but they probably didn't show what there is to do on the boat because there isn't anything. The one we on on the danube was dire. If it wasn't for the Australians on board, who were good company, I think k we would have jumped ship.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by captain pugwash, Haverfordwest View Post
                      Last nights programme was typical of the series so far and of the last series, all about Jane not enough about the ships or life on board, at least she didn't sing. I believe a wasted opportunity to show what river cruising is all about.
                      I must admit that I did think it was about promoting Jane as opposed to promoting river cruising although my wife did say, "why don't we try a river cruise next year?" Yes dear, I'll think about it I replied. It's not for me, a life on the ocean wave on a luxury cruise ship, not the destination is for me.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have not watched last nights episode yet, but then River Cruising has never been on my bucket list. WheneverI have watched a programme or read reviews it would appear as Annie said not a lot going on when on aboard and I am sure you can view all the facilities on board in about 15 minutes flat.

                        It does seem to me an expensive way of hopping between ports of call, I am sure the scenery is lovely between the ports, that's if your not cruising at night.

                        But then again my sons in laws love River cruising and have no intention of trying an Ocean Cruise as they say, it just does not appeal to them. They did say after their last RC earlier this year, how little time they had when on shore to site see, that was on one of the more expensive RC, cannot remember name of company, I know they get door to door travel arrangements.

                        I think their last cruise was the River Rhine and all the passengers were British. During a BBQ at our son's they did show us their iPad photos, most seem to be taken off the boat very few on the boat, one of them having dinne, must have been a gala dinner they said as he was wearing a jacket
                        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 16th September 2017, 10:45 AM.
                        Delboy


                        Photo Albums

                        https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                        or

                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                          I didn't see the programme but they probably didn't show what there is to do on the boat because there isn't anything. The one we on on the danube was dire. If it wasn't for the Australians on board, who were good company, I think k we would have jumped ship.
                          Remind us please which river boat company?

                          Annie

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                            Remind us please which river boat company?

                            Annie
                            We booked with cruise.co who misled us that the standard on board would be the equivalent of silver seas ocean cruising g and was with APT. We later found out that we were sailing with travel marvel which we then discovered are not the same standard as ATP. Everything about the cruise was inferior. We made the best or but is was a very disappointing experience.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                              I have river cruised and there is not a lot to see on any boat I have sailed.
                              You are right Annie, but Jane did not look at the range of accommodation (normally there are at least three types of cabin), the food or the entertainment - even if the latter is limited.

                              I though this episode was actually one of the most entertaining (funny) but the least informative.

                              Some river cruise ports can often be low key little villages with little in the way of 'formal' tourist attractions. There was clearly VERY little to see and do in Jane's ports, given the fact she visited Bee Hives, went Ballooning etc. Regular tourist might not be offered these.

                              Like Ocean cruising, the only way to really know if it's for you is to book!

                              Without over-blowing my own trumpet, my review may assist those undecided about river cruising:

                              https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/...ver-ii-review/

                              Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                              ...but then River Cruising has never been on my bucket list.
                              Having now done both River and Ocean cruising I find the attractions are very similar. Both offer comfortable travel, good food and visit interesting places.

                              However river cruising does not suffer from many of the issues that upset many of us about Ocean cursing i.e. ships too big, too many passengers on-board, slow embarcation/disembarcation, noise/bad-inconsiderate behaviour, crowded ports, mediocre food/service on some mega-ships, constant hard sell etc. You also don't normally get sea-sickness on-board a river cruise, either.

                              However you of course will pay more for a more intimate river cruise experience, with under 200 passengers.
                              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 16th September 2017, 11:46 AM.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X