• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellfire, Royal Wootton Bassett
    started a topic Funny Business

Funny Business

This is a series of 3 programmes on BBC2 about the business side of the comedy boom, and the final programme last night was about the cruise industry. Amongst other things it followed a comedian's first cruise ship engagement and he flopped. The cruise line was CMV and having myself spent many evenings in clubs in the north it was apparent from the time he stepped on the ship that he was a square peg in a round hole. Clearly, the cruise line got it wrong. We had the same on a cruise last year, Celebrity Eclipse, where the main theatre comedian was so unsuited to the audience that a letter of apology signed by the hotel and cruise directors was sent to all guests. Has anyone had similar experience of cruise line entertainment?

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    We saw a British woman- I think on NCL- a so-called singer and comedian, who relied on members of the audience coming on stage and joining in her bawdy jokes. She came into the audience and chose a middle aged man who refused to go....her banter, slightly sexy, continued and she dragged him out of his seat. We all noticed that the young man sitting next to this victim's wife was severely mentally handicapped...in fact, he shouted "Dad! Dad!" twice. The poor victim had to go through a silly routine whilst gazing back at his son the whole time.
    The audience was aware of all this, and were mainly silent throughout. We didn't return for her 2nd gig....I don't think many folk did.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell Derby, Derby
    replied
    Ours was on Eclipse - can't remember the guy's name (maybe I've suppressed it!!) but a young lad in the audience gave him a bit of lip and he utterly and completely lost it, making comments about disgraceful parents, poor upbringing and on and on - and no, he certainly wasn't joking. We'd have thought ANY comedian would have the skills to deal with such a minor issue, but apparently not ...

Cheers,
    Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by Wellfire, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post
    This is a series of 3 programmes on BBC2 about the business side of the comedy boom, and the final programme last night was about the cruise industry. Amongst other things it followed a comedian's first cruise ship engagement and he flopped. The cruise line was CMV and having myself spent many evenings in clubs in the north it was apparent from the time he stepped on the ship that he was a square peg in a round hole. Clearly, the cruise line got it wrong. We had the same on a cruise last year, Celebrity Eclipse, where the main theatre comedian was so unsuited to the audience that a letter of apology signed by the hotel and cruise directors was sent to all guests. Has anyone had similar experience of cruise line entertainment?
    I watched the program and was amazed what sort of budgets the big ships have for comedians ,I was obvious that the comedian they showed was never going to make it on that cruise line.
    Yes had a few who were just not our style some Comedians doing the USA circuit leave a lot to be desired ,all down to personal taste I suppose....Taffy

Leave a comment:

• cornish girl, falmouth
    replied
    The problem is that there are so many ships trying to attract acts, and some of these comedians are truly past their sell by date .CG

Leave a comment:

• pennbank, UK
    replied
    P&O Oriana, Caribbean cruise January 2013 had Al Brown on, he only lasted 2 performances got booed off stage.

The one before that, Lee Wilson was not much good either, full of his own importance.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    I was on-board QM2, in the Theatre when a German (maybe Austrian?) Man came on stage, dressed in lederhosen, carrying a long alpine horn. He then proceeded to make some very un-tuneful noises with it. At first I though it was a joke, but no! later on he went on to attack the cow bells. I quickly took my leave.

I love music, but this was the worst excuse for entertainment that I have ever seen on a ship.

However many of the audience appeared to love it, including a number of Germans.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X