• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reporting gastro-intestinal incidents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting gastro-intestinal incidents

On Balmoral last year they said there would be no charge to see the Doctor if you had those symptoms. I thought that was inspired as it would encourage people to seek help...Carol

Comment

Last edited by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield; 18th April 2010, 11:43 AM. Reason: To add additions
      Jo

Comment

From a medical point of view, this policy by P&O would seem to be utterly crazy.

Many people are reluctant to report Norovirus anyway - this will only make it worse. I am sure the medical staff onboard P&O ships will make strong representation to Management about rescinding this new policy.

And the prospect of having their ships "quarantined" in foreign ports would not be an appealing one.

Comment

I cruise quite often with P/O and think they should be ashamed,all they will do is cause the outbreak to spread.This should be rescinded immediately

Comment

Absolutely ridiculous. If you've been on board for a week and then get this illness you've probably caught it on the ship, so to be asked to pay for a diagnosis is ludicrous.

People are far more likely to own up to having something if they don't have to pay to see a doctor. I'd imagine at least half of people affected wouldn't report it if they had to pay and would probably just try to carry on as normal - infecting other passengers too.

Afraid if I needed to pay to see a doctor who confirmed I had norovirus which I knew I had caught on the ship, if I couldn't reclaim the fee from my insurance I'd be making a county court claim.
            Liz

Comment

Comment

I think this is disgraceful behaviour on P&O's part.
                Many passengers have "stomach upsets" on cruises, which are probably related to the changes in diet and are certainly not indicative of Norovirus. It is very unfair of P&O to not tell you that you were signing a payment authorisation slip - but the adage "always read it first" does apply here. It is also interesting that the price charged is just above the excess of most insurance companies.

I intend to take a supply of Loperamide (Imodium) and anti viral wipes (not the anti bacterial ones available onboard, as Noro is a VIRUS!) with me on my May Azura cruise, and unless we experience diarrhoea and vomiting which could be Norovirus, then I will not be troubling the medical staff.
                I am a doctor, so I think I can tell the difference between Norovirus and a stomach upset.
                However, I would advise anyone in doubt to consult the medical staff onboard - as I would myself if I was not sure of the cause of any illness.

Fortunately, I have not yet had any stomach upsets on my cruises and I hope that will continue!

Comment

I agree with you Bella I can't understand PO's attitude it smacks of greed, I am one of their frequent cruisers, but I can't condone this, who was the job's worth who thought this one up!! I sailed on the Aurora world cruise 2009 and there was no NV on the 80 days we were away or on any of the other cruises I have taken with with them. If they insist on charging cruisers will not report it, and they will bring the rest down with them, PO need to rethink this policy. Just a thought do Carnival as the parent company approve of this move, and do the other such as Cunard and Princess use this tactic.
                  Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 19th April 2010, 09:12 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I too think it is disgraceful to charge for this as it will certainly stop some people for reporting an illness, very shortsighted on P&O. It as always been free before after the first person with the virus as been confirmed as Novo. Still if everyone made sure they washed their hands thoroughly with soap and water, not just a cursery rinse under the taps, it would help greatly in not contacting the virus initially.
                    Arlene

Keep smiling and keep sailing

Comment

Bella- thanks for your post about Noro....I have no medical knowledge, but did doubt a passenger on a Thomson cruise who was creating about catching it on board....altho' she had no vomiting, and said it all "just passed thru' me" in 24 hours, when she was allowed back out of her cabin.
                      I thought at the time that it sounded just like an upset rather than a virus, but didn't know enough to say so.
                      We did feel that she was just making a big fuss about missing 24 hours of her cruise. No-one else seemed to report any illness.
                      Jo.
                      Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella, Cardiff View Post
                        It is very unfair of P&O to not tell you that you were signing a payment authorisation slip - but the adage "always read it first" does apply here.!
                        Quite right, in my innocence it never occured to me that I might be charged for my assistance.
                        I'll try not to be so trusting in any future dealings with P&O.

Comment

Could it if PO treat you for free they are admiting its their fault,opening the way for compensation claims

Comment

Originally posted by g21, hampshire View Post
                            Could it if PO treat you for free they are admiting its their fault,opening the way for compensation claims
                            I think, probably, not. But it may be connected with U.S.A. ports requiring details of numbers of passengers having been treated for norovirus. (charging for treatment should reduce the numbers). But then wouldn't P&O advertise the charge?
                            This in no way mitigates their act of charging me for something I neither wanted, needed, asked for or got (a consultation with a doctor).

Comment

An interesting thread - and perhaps one of the factors in the current outbreak on Azura.

Certainly this is a very, very strong motivation for keeping Norovirus to yourself (so to speak) and not letting the medical people on the ship know. And that's going to make the spread of the virus far more likely, of course.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X