• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Coping in a Hot Climate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Coping in a Hot Climate

I shy away from cruises to the sun; a few minutes in heat and I'm a sweaty mess, but the main problem is the lack of pigment in my skin. No matter how strong a cream, nor how frequently applied, I always manage to have a red streak somewhere on me.
    I'll tell you how bad it is- this October I was hanging washing out in brilliant sunshine- say eight or nine minutes. I came inside with a bright red nose and a red v where my top ended.
    We're a skin cancer family, and because I've had major burns as a child, I know it will happen to me one day.
    Last Jan was a special cruise for us- lots of sea days for me, and Caribbean islands for my snorkeller! I tried to go out, well-creamed, but the heat in the towns sent me back to the ship withing the hour.
    I managed to get burnt in a quick visit to forum friends who'd just flown in to Britannia... we all met outside a bar in Barbados as the sun was setting, so I thought I'd be fine- not!
    I sat reading in the shade on deck, and burnt my face from the reflection from the sea.
    Soon we'll be back doing the same cruise, and G is trying to persuade me to take some ship's excursions- surely I'll be out of the sun for much of those?
    I doubt it- I remember hiding behind the bus in Antigua years ago, as various sights were pointed out, and lathering on more cream. Memories of being burnt in Malta and Hawaii through cotton clothes come to mind.
    Anyone else like me, hate being out in the sun?
    Jo.

I don't have any problems, but I have found I suffer more with heat now than I did when I was younger.

I don't tend to burn, and I do try to remember to apply and reapply my sun cream.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I enjoy hot weather, but burn very easily. I always wear factor 70 sunscreen, long sleeves and a wide brimmed hat and I stay in the shade as much as possible. My favourite place to be is under a straw umbrella on a beach.

Comment

How about a large parasol for when you are walkng about in addiion to a hat? I have seen a few on hot days on cruises both on and off ship. Believe SPF 100 is the strongest available, though I've not seen it here, and it must be applied regularly as with all sunscreens.
        Last edited by cruiser, Larne; 5th December 2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Oh bless you, it must be awful.

When I was younger I would lay for hours in the sun, I can't do it now, and as I get older I have to be more careful. Think the skin must get thin as you get older............................................. ..............................Carol

Comment

I empathise. I'm always the one sitting in the shade, covered in SPF 50 and wearing a big hat. Trips ashore necessitate the addition of a long sleeved shirt and walking on the shady side. We're in Funchal on Saturday and rain is forecast!

Comment

Use Sunsense Ultra 50+. It is available to order from pharmacies. It is made in Australia.

Comment

Posted my reply too quickly! Should have said that I have had melanoma and Sunsense was recommended in hospital - use it from spring to autumn.

Comment

I have a skin check every six months with my consultant dermatologist as my father and grandfather died of melanoma and I have loads of freckles and moles. He would rather I stay out of the sun but realises, for me that just isn't on.

I use factor 50 to 70 these days and I use a body spray [Neutrogena] as I am more certain it reaches all parts. Not a total sun block but very very effective. I also have a very big rimmed sun hat.
                  I don't get very tanned, just a healthy looking colour and crucially, I don't burn or go the slightest bit pink. I guess it helps I go away a lot so it's a case of 'topping up' the healthy look.

Comment

I don't like being out in the sun, and would never ever spend time on a beach. I also have a selection of wide brimmed hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                      I have a skin check every six months with my consultant dermatologist as my father and grandfather died of melanoma and I have loads of freckles and moles. He would rather I stay out of the sun but realises, for me that just isn't on.

I use factor 50 to 70 these days and I use a body spray [Neutrogena] as I am more certain it reaches all parts. Not a total sun block but very very effective. I also have a very big rimmed sun hat.
                      I don't get very tanned, just a healthy looking colour and crucially, I don't burn or go the slightest bit pink. I guess it helps I go away a lot so it's a case of 'topping up' the healthy look.

Husband never goes pink, just a pleasant shade of brown. However, he has had two bouts of skin cancer, luckily the less serious basal cell, not melanoma. He is very careful now. The dermatologist said that it was his tanning years ago that caused the problem.

Sheila

Comment

I have lived here for more than 20 years, and have a typical Scottish colouring. Very little pigment in the skin, and red hair in the family.
                        Over the years I have built up a protection in my skin. So I now have a glow, but not a tan.

I never sit in the sun, but, obviously, I have to get around.
                        I always walk in the shade, and at restaurants I will go inside if there is not enough shade on the terrace.

I wear long loose dresses, and no underwear. I would never wear shorts or anything that tied round the waist
                        A hat is a definite no-no. They make you perspire too much.
                        My face always has a sun screen cream, and I have a a gel protection on my hair.
                        Many of the Spanish women use a parasol.

Comment

I too used to be able to lie in the sun for hours when I was younger, No more though 20 mins or so and I get, A= too hot and B= bored! I think if I get a pleasant warm day I enjoy it more than intense heat. I am starting to worry about our land based holiday at the end of June in Malta next year. Its our 25th anniversary and when we married there we were both true sun worshippers, So, Factor 50 will be in the case along with my big floppy hat!!! Jan.

Comment

I'm another that gets burnt at the slightest exposure to the sun. On Celebrity Eclipse last year in Gran Canaria we spent a couple of hours at the Sunset Bar. I made certain I was in the shade. I still got horrible burnt, presumably from reflection. The most comic was some years ago in Tenerife we had a poolside lunch where the chairs were the criss-cross plastic type. Consequently I had the most enchanting criss-cross pattern on my back!

Comment

It must be very tricky for you Jocap having to avoid the sun as much as possible. I don't know which sun blocker you use and I've only tried the face cream but I've heard that Ultrasun has some good feedback as a sun protection product.

I don't like heat just a pleasant warmth and cover my face and arms with moisturiser with an SPF built in. If we have a nice sunny summer day at home , I'm usually found sitting under the large parasol!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X