• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your killer tips for a hassle free cruise...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Hi,

    Not for the cruise, but for your air travel, you might like to think about a neck pillow for your flight. I have used one for long car journeys and they are so comfortable!

    Here is a link:

    Amazon.co.uk: travel inflatable neck pillow
    Lizzie sigpic

    Comment


      #17
      If your guide suggests using the restroom in a certain place, take their advice. They know where the clean ones are. This is especially true at the Great Wall - the ones near the wall are NOT recommended.

      Look at the funny translations of signs. My favourite on the ship was "Wear clothing suitable to rescue the body on"

      Take comfortable walking shoes, we walked miles some days, particularly the day when we visited Tienamin Square and the Forbidden City.

      You are in for the experience of a lifetime. Enjoy every minute.

      Sheila

      Comment


        #18
        Be it an fantastic trip to China or a 4 day cross channel mini cruise, my advise would be the same....go with the flow, enjoy everything that is put before you without complaint and always let the staff know how much you appreciate everything they do for you.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          Smile and say thank you, I find it goes a long way, and the ships crew are always helpful and smile at me too Have a fantastic time.
          .................................................. .................................................. ....Carol
          Yes, and look at the person to whom you are speaking. It's amazing how many people don't.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
            Thanks Rosebaskets, hadn't considered the Imodium. Will add that to the list. I have Yuan and I know about the water.

            Thanks

            Bill
            Pack a few packets of rehydration powder too (obviously mix with boiled water). My husband worked in China and says you can't be too careful.

            Comment


              #21
              Completely agree that a bit of the local language and friendliness/courtesy will get you a very long way; also try not to raise your voice at any time as it's regarded as very bad manners by the Chinese. You really are in for the most amazing time - we loved the country and its people more than I can say

              Oh, and the thing of "having their photos taken with you" certainly still applied 4 years ago. Then again that might have had something to do with hubby being 6ft 3in - he was stared at everywhere, but at least it made him easy to pick out in crowds!!

              Cheers,
              Lynn

              Comment


                #22
                Just beware that google and facebook are blocked in China, that goes for gmail. If you want to search for tourist places and restaurants, it's best you to do your search,print and bring along. Also if you've only a gmail address, create another one for the trip. Time to get more yuan now that it has been devalued - it's a cash society.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                  Well, the tickets have arrived, the visa's obtained, currency bought, credit card primed (Halifax Clarity) and two weeks to go!

                  15 nights in China including cruise on the Yangtse.

                  So, wise collective, what is your killer tip for a trouble free, memorable holiday?

                  What do you know that makes the difference?

                  Cheers, Bill
                  Get your suitcases and money...........then take half the suitcases and twice the money.
                  :music

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Thanks to you all. Couldn't get onto the forum yesterday so please don't think I was ignoring your wise counsel.

                    As I expected some great tips posted.

                    This trip will be bitter sweet. It was to be part of my wife's bucket list (Parkinson's Disease)(Terracotta Warriors).

                    However, two weeks ago, my wife's doctor has told us that she is not fit to travel. Frustratingly not due to Parkinson's but sciatica.

                    Understandably she is absolutely devastated. And, in all fairness to her doctor her pain is such that she couldn't go (we thought that it should clear in time - given that it surfaced in June, but not so I'm afraid).

                    So, we kicked it about, pulled it apart, went through all the scenarios and decided that I will go. We reckon that there will not be another opportunity to go given my wife's health.

                    So I will be her eyes and ears, cameras primed, journal ready and pencil sharpened ready to capture every nuance and spectacular highlight as ably as my dull-witted brain can muster.

                    Bill


                    Lawnmowerman

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Oh Bill,

                      So sorry to hear that, life can be a real 'bitch' at times.

                      I wish you well on your journey and hope your dear wife enjoys all those memories with you when you return.

                      I hope it is a brilliant adventure for you both.
                      Lizzie sigpic

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                        Oh Bill,

                        So sorry to hear that, life can be a real 'bitch' at times.

                        I wish you well on your journey and hope your dear wife enjoys all those memories with you when you return.

                        I hope it is a brilliant adventure for you both.
                        Thanks Lizzie, to use that well worn cliche - when life hands you lemons learn to make lemonade!

                        Bill


                        Lawnmowerman

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                          Thanks to you all. Couldn't get onto the forum yesterday so please don't think I was ignoring your wise counsel.

                          As I expected some great tips posted.

                          This trip will be bitter sweet. It was to be part of my wife's bucket list (Parkinson's Disease)(Terracotta Warriors).

                          However, two weeks ago, my wife's doctor has told us that she is not fit to travel. Frustratingly not due to Parkinson's but sciatica.

                          Understandably she is absolutely devastated. And, in all fairness to her doctor her pain is such that she couldn't go (we thought that it should clear in time - given that it surfaced in June, but not so I'm afraid).

                          So, we kicked it about, pulled it apart, went through all the scenarios and decided that I will go. We reckon that there will not be another opportunity to go given my wife's health.

                          So I will be her eyes and ears, cameras primed, journal ready and pencil sharpened ready to capture every nuance and spectacular highlight as ably as my dull-witted brain can muster.

                          Bill
                          Bless her, I'm really sorry to hear this. She must be so disappointed. I hope she's feeling more comfortable soon, and I hope you have a fantastic time. I'm sure she is looking forward to hearing all your stories .................................................. ....................Carol

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                            Bless her, I'm really sorry to hear this. She must be so disappointed. I hope she's feeling more comfortable soon, and I hope you have a fantastic time. I'm sure she is looking forward to hearing all your stories .................................................. ....................Carol
                            Thank you Carol, she is feeling slightly better now. We have arranged that she will spend some time with our daughter and her family.

                            We are blessed with a fantastic son-in-law and beautiful grandson (aged 8 & 3/4's). At least my grandson will be very pleased.

                            Old Scottish saying (maybe British also) - Definition of a Granny:

                            "A Granny is a wee old wummin' who sits in the corner and stops your mammy from hitting you"

                            Bill


                            Lawnmowerman

                            Comment


                              #29
                              How sad for you both, Bill, and how brave of you. I hope that both of you enjoy your breaks in your own way.
                              Jo.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X