• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your killer tips for a hassle free cruise...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your killer tips for a hassle free cruise...

Well, the tickets have arrived, the visa's obtained, currency bought, credit card primed (Halifax Clarity) and two weeks to go!

15 nights in China including cruise on the Yangtse.

So, wise collective, what is your killer tip for a trouble free, memorable holiday?

What do you know that makes the difference?

Cheers, Bill

Lawnmowerman

My killer tip would always be the same.

Fly out a day or two or more earlier.

Enjoy the port of departure to the full and arrive at the cruise terminal and board hours before the 'mob' arrive on the cruise flights.

Hope it's not too late to make that an option BIll, but no matter what, it sounds like a wonderful 15 nights............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

Smile and say thank you, I find it goes a long way, and the ships crew are always helpful and smile at me too Have a fantastic time.
      .................................................. .................................................. ....Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        My killer tip would always be the same.

Fly out a day or two or more earlier.

Enjoy the port of departure to the full and arrive at the cruise terminal and board hours before the 'mob' arrive on the cruise flights.

Hope it's not too late to make that an option BIll, but no matter what, it sounds like a wonderful 15 nights............Wilba
        We were to have 3 days in Shanghai before we fly to Wuhan to join the boat but we are going out 2 days earlier to spend more time there.

Maximum of 252 pax on board so I reckon I could handle the 'mob' even if they all turned up at once!

Thanks Wilba.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Pack the Imodium, don't drink the water and take Yuan not Yen (like a colleague of mine did!) Have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
            Smile and say thank you, I find it goes a long way, and the ships crew are always helpful and smile at me too Have a fantastic time.
            .................................................. .................................................. ....Carol
            Sometimes I can be Mr.Grumpy (I know, difficult to believe!), but my wife always says 'be nice, it gets you more'.

So she is definitely on your wavelength Carol.

Thanks

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
              Pack the Imodium, don't drink the water and take Yuan not Yen (like a colleague of mine did!) Have a great time.
              Thanks Rosebaskets, hadn't considered the Imodium. Will add that to the list. I have Yuan and I know about the water.

Thanks

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

If you go to a Chinese dumpling restaurant, which is fantastic experience, remember you are allowed to stop eating after about 10 courses. We didn't realise that as long as you keep eating they will keep serving course after course. We were absolutely stuffed with steaming dumplings containing everything from duck to toffee and some more dubious selections. We thought it would be rude not to eat everything they brought to us and it was only when we really couldn't eat another mouthful that they finally stopped serving us.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                  If you go to a Chinese dumpling restaurant, which is fantastic experience, remember you are allowed to stop eating after about 10 courses. We didn't realise that as long as you keep eating they will keep serving course after course. We were absolutely stuffed with steaming dumplings containing everything from duck to toffee and some more dubious selections. We thought it would be rude not to eat everything they brought to us and it was only when we really couldn't eat another mouthful that they finally stopped serving us.
                  Thanks for that tip, takes all you can eat to another level!

Think my son-in-law would love that!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                    Well, the tickets have arrived, the visa's obtained, currency bought, credit card primed (Halifax Clarity) and two weeks to go!

15 nights in China including cruise on the Yangtse.

So, wise collective, what is your killer tip for a trouble free, memorable holiday?

What do you know that makes the difference?

Cheers, Bill
                    I agree with Carol that you should always smile and say thanks - having a go in the local lingo always seems to make a difference too!

In China xie xie (pronouced sheh sheh) is thanks - and saying that always made conversations in broken English seem easier!

Other than that I'd say good travel insurance and a bit of research about all your destinations before you go so you know how you want to spend your free time. (I found it initially daunting in Beijing on my first day when I realised I hadn't planned what to do when I first arrived.)

Hope you have a lovely trip to China! Look forward to hearing all about your trip

Comment

Originally posted by Rachael, Birmingham View Post
                      I agree with Carol that you should always smile and say thanks - having a go in the local lingo always seems to make a difference too!

In China xie xie (pronouced sheh sheh) is thanks - and saying that always made conversations in broken English seem easier!

Other than that I'd say good travel insurance and a bit of research about all your destinations before you go so you know how you want to spend your free time. (I found it initially daunting in Beijing on my first day when I realised I hadn't planned what to do when I first arrived.)

Hope you have a lovely trip to China! Look forward to hearing all about your trip
                      You are absolutely right about planning what to do when you arrive - good tip. And a little of the language.

Thanks Rachael

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Go with the attitude that come what may you're going to enjoy yourself.
                        Regards
                        Garfield

Comment

I have no further advice, but I am mighty envious!
                          2018-
                          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

for humor tips for china watch karl P

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...abroad%20china

In series 3 i think epiosode 3 he goes on a river trip in china with a drawf
                            Last edited by DUETTO, Staines; 24th August 2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Bill

I am trying to recall my Yangtze river cruise.

I remember small dollar bills were invaluable - I rarely used the local currency Dollar bills were preferred and if you didn't haggle, they were insulted.

I always travel with a 1st aid kit that some may say is overkill. Better safe than sorry. Good tip on the immodium btw.

It was 2000 when I visited China and the smog in Beijing was an issue then. Cleaned up for the Olympics but may have returned to a degree.

Hotel bathrooms had the skull and crossbones insignia next to the taps to remind you not to drink.

The city hotels we used issued us with cards with the address in both English and Chinese for use in taxis.

It may not happen so much now, but be prepared to be asked for your photograph often especially as part of a family group.

When you laugh out loud, watch the reaction

Not all public restrooms in cities are necessarily of western standard and you may have to carry tissues.

The variations in Chinese cuisine from city to city can be astonishing. The rice is very sticky for the obvious reason. Very different from the cooked basmati rice that we favour.

As I recall more, I will try and post.

Enjoy

Annie
                              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 24th August 2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X