• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spell check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=LE8 5TJ, LEICESTER;30803]Yes Yes, I do as I have a memory poblem, and Im not ashamed by using the spell checker, Every body has some thing that they are not good at, in all walks of life, from top and the bottom there is no such thing as 100% perfect human, .How did I do with out a spell checker?[/ You did OK! No problems as far as I was concerned. If I can understand what people have written, thats fine by me. I am a serial offender by not using the spell check. People take me as they find me, a bit daft and sentimental sometimes. So long as no one uses abusive language and belittles others for no reason, I can live with it. I am known in my family as the one who gets words mixed up. But, I find it so funny. Suppose I am on my own, but I dont care. Life should have it's lighter moments. Carol ;)
    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by the mumfords, Nr. rotherham View Post
      [QUOTE
      I can live with it. I am known in my family as the one who gets words mixed up. But, I find it so funny. Suppose I am on my own, but I dont care. Life should have it's lighter moments. Carol ;)
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Your not alone Carol - I to do the same from time to time, It might have something to do with me being a fan of the late Stanley Unwin. Deepjoy togethermost and all that.
      sigpic
      Cruisings Cool

Comment

Originally posted by davecttr, gillingham View Post
        Question

What does 'british' mean compared with just british?

As in 'british' cruise lines

I was trying to imply that 'british' is not british, if you see what I mean, or being ironic or whatever.

Confused? I am.

'british' implies something in a british style such as 'british' cuisine, whereas british means belonging to/ coming from britain /etc. Hence a british ship would be registered in britain and a 'british' ship may have british officers, crew, style etc. but be registered in Panama and owned by somebody from Greece.

As this is a forum about Spell Checking I confess to often using one, however if you rely completely on them you can get some serious bloopers.
        My wife's a teacher in a primary school and on two occassions the school has sent out letters to parents that had been spell checked but contained statements that could have caused serious offence..:-

"We would like to thank the PTA for the gift of money that enabled us to buy sex benches for use by the children".
        Either the school is very progessive or it should read SIX benches.

"Please could children bring in tins of food to pass on to those in need as part of our celebrations of harvey's testicle".
        Presumably Harvey was pleased but the Vicar of the local church wondered where all his "Harvest Festival" donations had gone. So let this be a warning to reread carefully after using a spell checker
        Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 28th March 2010, 01:37 PM.
        Pete

sigpic
        If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

Hello Pete,

I like those two statements!:D

Many years ago before computers and spellcheckers(I know I am old!) we had a temp working with us who had left her previous job under a 'cloud'.

She had typed a notice advising people that the chief rabbi would be visiting the Hotel where she worked, and had run off and sent three hundred copies. Unfortunately she had added a 't' to the title! It did not go down well!

Lizzie.
          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Hi Dave I am exactly like that my mouth operates faster than my brain quite a lot these days and I stand up and talk in public as a Councillor, we just have a good laugh about it and make sure the press has put it right.I had forgotten about Stanley Unwin I could only tolerate him in short bursts. Deep joy to you Dave. Marie
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pete, Caerphilly View Post
              .................................................. .................... "Please could children bring in tins of food to pass on to those in need as part of our celebrations of harvey's testicle".
              Presumably Harvey was pleased but the Vicar of the local church wondered where all his "Harvest Festival" donations had gone. .................................................. ...........
              This is all extremely personal. Please refrain from discussing my testicles in public. :o

cheers
              Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
                This is all extremely personal. Please refrain from discussing my testicles in public. :o

cheers
                Harvey
                Quite right Harvey, I did think it was a bit of a rum do myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                  I dont use it Neil. I ought to though. There are some words I just cant spell. Piccallilli, Necesserary Particullary. Some words I cant even say correctly., I always end up with a few extra sss's on the end. My sister could not say Post Mortem. It was always Post Mortion. My daughter and grandkids and me get words mixed up. Is it called spoonerism? Nunkey mut's is one. I will try and think of some more. Carol.:o
                  Just had to bring this one back up!

Daughter left earlier and I have only just stopped laughing.
                  She said ' Got to go and get the beds to strip the kids'

Sorry! think the heat is getting to us both
                  sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

The brain is an amazing thing.

I worked for a while in the export office of a company that shipped goods all over the world. There were two clerk/typists in the same office - nice ladies but not remarkably clever or well educated.

When we shipped goods to Cuba, all the documents had to be typed in Spanish on special paper with no corrections allowed (long lists of parts and prices on a manual typewriter). The typist who did this couldn't speak or understand a word of Spanish but copy-typed the bosses handwritten work accurately and fluently.

One day the other one, who was audio typing a long quotation (in English) burst out laughing. She showed me that she had typed several lines of gobbledygook. What she had done was to accidentally move her hands one key over to the right without noticing.
                    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                    T Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                      Just had to bring this one back up!

Daughter left earlier and I have only just stopped laughing.
                      She said ' Got to go and get the beds to strip the kids'

Sorry! think the heat is getting to us both
                      I am so glad this one has received a reviving kiss.

Ida sort of Spooners with the best of them and has said things like, "Don't split nits with me".
                      Her cousin exclaimed that she had to go home to ..... Pat her husband and kiss the dog. ....Neil

Comment

It is a good one Neil.

Mind, my Grandaughters boyfriend did not even laugh... (Not as daft as us) She had been pulling leaves from hedges as they walked down the road, got a fly in her mouth and was choking and spluttering and said 'I've got a fleaf in my mouth'
                        Love em! PLEASE some more
                        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Slightly on a different tack, but some years ago a friend was telling us about this enormous barn spider and the 'testicles' on it's head,she was amazed by our laughter!
                          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X