• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I got the nerve to wait?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest snail mail from P&O was a GETAWAY mini brochure.

Is this the way things will go with later cruises, P&O will price protect using Getaway fares.

It is always a tough call, our latest cruise(not P&O) late Oct I watched and waited till after final(the people we are traveling with booked back in 2010), and there were some decent price drops so we jumped in, 3 more weeks there have been further drops, OV are $150 down some balconies $200 down $400 from peak($2k), upgrades are available but we have chosen a cabin in a specific location(midships and deck) so to move requires will need lots more money one/2 jumps won't cut it.

It is a tough call the waiting games especialy if flights are needed as they are for our trip(US) and it is a cruise you want to do.

One thing you have to watch is the "scare", it is not unknown for a cruise line to trigger bookings by putting the price up or dropping a perk before a new drop/offer is on the cards.

back to the OPs cruise(HK->SA), I think that needs a close watch*, the one after is the bit that I think will get very cheap so needs to be watched as it may be worth doing as it eliminates the flight costs home(time permitting).

* not sure the best way to watch P&O, for some lines cruisefish is very good for price/grade availability.

Comment

back to the OPs cruise(HK-SA), I think that needs a close watch*, the one after is the bit that I think will get very cheap so needs to be watched as it may be worth doing as it eliminates the flight costs home(time permitting).

I also agree with the above sentence. As I have been on a few world segments that took in the final segment, the final one is always the last to sell and it is often cheaper. Usually this a segment from Dubai through the Med. Or in Aurora's case, across the Atlantic. So It may be worth booking the HK - STH segment and keeping a watch on the final segment. That is if Jill wants to be away that length of time. I think the last segment of this cruise may not appeal to many people unless you like Africa and sea days. The time to watch the last segment would be late 2013. Or even January/February 2014. The final segment will be around the end of March early April 2014. A long wait!
      Last edited by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS; 8th September 2012, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
        back to the OPs cruise(HK-SA), I think that needs a close watch*, the one after is the bit that I think will get very cheap so needs to be watched as it may be worth doing as it eliminates the flight costs home(time permitting).

I also agree with the above sentence. As I have been on a few world segments that took in the final segment, the final one is always the last to sell and it is often cheaper. Usually this a segment from Dubai through the Med. Or in Aurora's case, across the Atlantic. So It may be worth booking the HK - STH segment and keeping a watch on the final segment. That is if Jill wants to be away that length of time. I think the last segment of this cruise may not appeal to many people unless you like Africa and sea days. The time to watch the last segment would be late 2013. Or even January/February 2014. The final segment will be around the end of March early April 2014. A long wait!
        Thanks Topdeck and Maggie. Time is not a factor for us so we could do the last leg back to Southampton as we quite enjoy sea days.
        If we book the HK-SA leg without the last leg, which includes the flight home from Capetown, then how will we save money by staying on for the sail back to Southampton should the price come down significantly? Will P & O refund the cost of the flight?
        Jill

Comment

Pippa, I have also noticed the added cabin grades, there now are more grades to wade through and less cabins in some of the grades, so I think you need to really look at the type of cabin you require Jill and then note the availablity and how many cabins are in that grade .CG
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
            Pippa, I have also noticed the added cabin grades, there now are more grades to wade through and less cabins in some of the grades, so I think you need to really look at the type of cabin you require Jill and then note the availablity and how many cabins are in that grade .CG
            Thanks for that CG and I am most definitely on to it.
            Another anomaly that OH pointed out was the extra insurance cover that we would need for the last leg which we would have to offset against any saving from flying home from Capetown. Our insurance covers us for a 31 day trip and the last leg would mean another 18 days insurance. That's another thing I will have to look at.
            Jill

Comment

I imagine it is relatively easy to check though by using Cunard's or P&O's own booking system and see just what grades are on offer at specific times.
              Hi Richard, A good tip, but how does one get into the company’s booking system? it sounds very useful although I presume that you don't have to hack into their site

Comment

Well you can go on the website and call up the ship you require for instance the Aurora world cruise 2014 then scroll down to the leg you require fill in the cabin requirements and up pops the cabins that are left on the system. CG
                sigpic

Comment

Well you can go on the website and call up the ship you require for instance the Aurora world cruise 2014 then scroll down to the leg you require fill in the cabin requirements and up pops the cabins that are left on the system. CG
                  Same on Cunard except nearer sailing, if the cabins aren't sold out, they may say available on a GUA basis so that means you will get at least the level of cabin you booked, you just won't know where it is until later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                    Same on Cunard except nearer sailing, if the cabins aren't sold out, they may say available on a GUA basis so that means you will get at least the level of cabin you booked, you just won't know where it is until later.
                    I've just spent some time on the P & O site and can't find a facility that tells me how many cabins are available in each grade. Could it be that I'm doing something wrong or that that information won't show up till much later?
                    Jill

Comment

We always book early to get the cabin position we want.

We recently delayed booking an excursion and now have to be on wait list. Lesson learnt.

If its something you want just do it.

Comment

I was obviously having a dense moment when I tried to look up cabin availability CG. I phoned P & O just now and a very helpful salesperson steered me through it.
                        At the moment, there is still lots of of availability so I don't have to panic. I will however speak to Faz when he comes back today and talk about flights and extra nights in both HK & Capetown. My other dilemma is trying to envisage 150 sq feet, which is the size of the average inside cabin on Aurora. I have no idea how that compares with other ships so will be looking into that.

Thanks for your help.
                        Jill

Comment

Hi Jill, I just went into the PO and website used the filter to bring up WC Aurora 2014 selected Southampton to Sydney leg, just keep fillnig in the details until you finally arrive at the select your cabin where there is a selection of the type of cabins you requested and are available on your voyage. CG.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi Jill, I just went into the PO and website used the filter to bring up WC Aurora 2014 selected Southampton to Sydney leg, just keep fillnig in the details until you finally arrive at the select your cabin where there is a selection of the type of cabins you requested and are available on your voyage. CG.
                            Yes, I realise now that you can't check cabin availability without going into the booking process part way. At least I can keep a close eye on it now.
                            Jill

Comment

Yes wait the new price guarantee is just a scam if they want to reduce a price they just bring out a getaway fare which is exempt under the price guarantee I have already been ripped off by this world cruise sectors don't sell quickly until price reductions really kick in which starts 12 weeks before cruises go when people have to pay the full balance of their holidays and then huge cancellations start.
                              Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jaffa, Bournemouth View Post
                                Yes wait the new price guarantee is just a scam if they want to reduce a price they just bring out a getaway fare which is exempt under the price guarantee I have already been ripped off by this world cruise sectors don't sell quickly until price reductions really kick in which starts 12 weeks before cruises go when people have to pay the full balance of their holidays and then huge cancellations start.
                                Good luck

I received two emails from a cruise company today. QM2 sailing from Southampton 10th January 2012 first segment of the the world cruise. £1099 for 18 days. Sails to Dubai and you will get two days in a hotel in Dubai. Flights included. Very cheap!
                                Now this is the cheapest I have ever seen a WC segment. Must be a sign of the times as most segments sell last minute for more than that. If I wasn't already booked on a cruise I would have gone for that myself. The other email referred to the same cruise but carried on to Singapore. Cost £1999. 35 days.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X