• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I got the nerve to wait?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I got the nerve to wait?

My OH and I have found an itinerary which has been on our 'to do' list for 2 years. It is part of a World cruise in 2014 on the Aurora. Now I'm not P & O's biggest fan but as we always go for the itinerary and not the ship, we are going to give P & O another try. From what I have read, Aurora is very popular so she will probably suit us anyway.

My big dilemma is when to book. Having spoken to Faz at Cruisedot, he thinks that there is probably no rush to book as prices could very well come down. I want to take his advice having booked with him a couple of times before. My big worry though is that the particular leg of the cruise that appeals to us (Hong Kong to Capetown) might sell out quickly.
    On the other hand, we booked early for our last cruise to Norway and Iceland, only to find that the price was reduced considerably 3 months before we sailed as the cruise was undersubscribed.

I don't want to pay over the odds but I don't want to miss the boat so to speak. Any advice from those with world cruise experience would be gratefully received.

Jill

I was under impression that P&O have their advantage prices now so if the price comes down you get an upgrade or OBC. Maybe you should check that out first. Hope your dream comes true and your "to do" list gets smaller

Comment

I have always said if it meant to be it will happen. Take a chance if you are meant to go on that cruise you will save booking later.
      Haggis

Comment

[QUOTE=MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS;459852]I was under impression that P&O have their advantage prices now so if the price comes down you get an upgrade or OBC. Maybe you should check that out first. Hope your dream comes true and your "to do" list gets smaller[/QUOTE
        Thanks Maggie. Whilst I know about P & O's advantage prices, I was lead to believe that if I was to wait a while; if the cabins don't sell as well as hoped, then TAs are given more scope to put their own package together- i.e. flights and hotels either end.
        To be honest, I find the whole process a bit confusing.
        Jill

Comment

I've seen the itinerary I want next July but won't be booking it until after christmas at the very earliest. I am off in a few days time having booked this cruise in May, four months ago. The same itinerary is going at the same time next year with a small OBC and free parking thrown in, even so, the lead in price is still £1050 pp more than I paid in May. I wouldn't be interested in being upgraded, I've already booked a cabin I am happy with and I certainly don't want £2100 additional OBC. A cash refund would be a different matter but as things stand I would never book so far in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by haggis, kent View Post
            I have always said if it meant to be it will happen. Take a chance if you are meant to go on that cruise you will save booking later.
            Haggis
            Thanks Haggis. I often use that philosophy with my kids so I must apply it to this scenario and play the waiting game.
            Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Jasann, Lampeter View Post
              I've seen the itinerary I want next July but won't be booking it until after christmas at the very earliest. I am off in a few days time having booked this cruise in May, four months ago. The same itinerary is going at the same time next year with a small OBC and free parking thrown in, even so, the lead in price is still £1050 pp more than I paid in May. I wouldn't be interested in being upgraded, I've already booked a cabin I am happy with and I certainly don't want £2100 additional OBC. A cash refund would be a different matter but as things stand I would never book so far in advance.
              I think you are right. When our last cruise was reduced in price, we were given an upgrade and a bottle champagne on arrival. It was little comfort really because we would not have paid for the cabin we were given and neither of us would choose to drink champagne.
              The difference in the price we paid and the final selling price was substantial and whilst I appreciate that it is a gamble when you book, it has put me off booking so far in advance.

The only problem here is that I haven't seen this itinerary before and wonder if it will be very poular for that reason and sell out fast.
              Stiil, as Haggis said- If it is meant to happen then it will.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                I was under impression that P&O have their advantage prices now so if the price comes down you get an upgrade or OBC. Maybe you should check that out first. Hope your dream comes true and your "to do" list gets smaller
                Fully agree with that statement MaggieMou.

It seems odd that, with the 'Price Promise' now well into operation, and the chance to select the cabin of one's choice, that Faz of cruisedot thinks that... 'there is probably no rush to book as prices could very well come down'.

Perhaps Faz may wish to comment.

Aurora is a great ship to take for a World Cruise as both Cornish Girl, myself and my neighbour will testify: far more preferable than one of the Fred Olsen ships: in my honest opinion.

There are also a good choice of balcony cabins, more than Oriana on which we did a similar leg in 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                  Fully agree with that statement MaggieMou.

It seems odd that, with the 'Price Promise' now well into operation, and the chance to select the cabin of one's choice, that Faz of cruisedot thinks that... 'there is probably no rush to book as prices could very well come down'.

Perhaps Faz may wish to comment.

Aurora is a great ship to take for a World Cruise as both Cornish Girl, myself and my neighbour will testify: far more preferable than one of the Fred Olsen ships: in my honest opinion.

There are also a good choice of balcony cabins, more than Oriana on which we did a similar leg in 1998.
                  I can understand Faz' point. I know flights might be more expensive nearer travel date but these are very uncertain economic times and the exotic holiday will be the first to suffer and I can't see the cruise selling out totally before the need to reduce prices.
                  So unless you have a specific cabin in mind, I'd hang fire. I'm a bit of a sceptic re these price promises. With all the different deals around, to actually find a like for like and thus a guaranteed price drop will be quite difficult in future months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                    I can understand Faz' point. I know flights might be more expensive nearer travel date but these are very uncertain economic times and the exotic holiday will be the first to suffer and I can't see the cruise selling out totally before the need to reduce prices.
                    So unless you have a specific cabin in mind, I'd hang fire. I'm a bit of a sceptic re these price promises. With all the different deals around, to actually find a like for like and thus a guaranteed price drop will be quite difficult in future months.
                    Thanks Mrs M, Hang fire I will.
                    Jill

Comment

One thing which makes me smile is the idea that it is better to book early and choose your cabin safe in the knowledge that if the price falls... you may be upgraded to a cabin you didn't want in the first place...

Comment

Originally posted by Jasann, Lampeter View Post
                        One thing which makes me smile is the idea that it is better to book early and choose your cabin safe in the knowledge that if the price falls... you may be upgraded to a cabin you didn't want in the first place...
                        Precisely Jasann- once bitten, twice shy as the saying goes.
                        Jill

Comment

I have booked early, for November 2013, because I want to try a cabin at the back of the ship. Once I have got that bee out of my bonnet I think I would always wait. Its seems quite rare for a ship these days to completely sell out at the first prices charged.
                          How exciting sounds a wonderful cruise............................................ ........................Carol

Comment

Jill to keep an eye on your cruise keep checking with seascanners with a dot and com. they let you know what cabins are left and what the prices are. the prices are in euros but you can change it to pounds.

mind you if it was me wanting this special cruise I would book it sooner rather than later. I wouldn't mind leaving it to the last minute if it was a cruise closer to home but this cruise sounds fantastic and I would be worried incase the flights sold out. mind you that is because I live in Scotland and we don't have as many flight choices as people have down south.

go with your gut instinct Jill and what you feel is right for you.
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                              I have booked early, for November 2013, because I want to try a cabin at the back of the ship. Once I have got that bee out of my bonnet I think I would always wait. Its seems quite rare for a ship these days to completely sell out at the first prices charged.
                              How exciting sounds a wonderful cruise............................................ ........................Carol
                              it is exciting Carol although we are only doing 29 days of the whole cruise. We both want to see some of SE Asia but the long flights have put us off. As it is, we are biting the bullet flying to Hong Kong and back from Capetown. We considered sailing back to Southampton but the ports of call don't really appeal and there are too many sea days. Thanks for your input.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X