• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To DIY or not to DIY, that is the question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Cruiser, Fife View Post
    Neil thank you for your reply and I did get in touch with the RNID Royal National Institute for the deaf and explained to them that many deaf people go on cruises now but feel left out with getting no info on excursions from the tour guides but there response shocked me saying it was not their problem and to tell the cruise lines myself. I have always informed the cruise lines Princess and P&O they themselves have been most helpful in giving us text phones (to order from our cabins) flashing door bells and flashing fire alarms and also P&O gives us notes of what is being said at the Emergency drill but when it comes to excursions they Excursion manager tells the tour guide but after that we are ignored by the guides. It is only a matter of time before a deaf person miss the excursion bus back to the ship. I am afraid to say my friend who went on Celebrity Eclipse had the most terrible time as the excursion staff ignored her completely and she got no help from the reception staff she was left in tears not knowing where to turn. she does not own a PC so tried to book excursions on the Eclipse but gave up as the staff got flustered and so she did not go on even 1 excursion while on Eclipse. That has put me off Celebrity altogether. They did have an Interpreter for the deaf but he was an american and the american sign language is different from UK sign language. That was a cruise leaving from Southampton. if you could advise me in anyway what to do I would be most Grateful. I in fact give talks to the Scottish Police on how to communicate with deaf people and what to be aware of and it has really helped both the Police and the deaf community. But I am stuck when it comes to Cruise excursions. By the way we find that the Asian or Indian staff ( Stateroom stewards and Waiters and reception) are really very good at communicating and helping us on P&O its just the excursions too. regards Neil and thanks
    I, too, have been in touch with the Action on Hearing Loss Home - Action On Hearing Loss: RNID Or RNID as it used to be called.

    I spoke for some time to someone called Aaron who was quite informative about some things but not wholly understanding what I was driving at. I signed into the Forum and have had one reply so far. That looks more helpful.

    I wonder if, when we have got more information, whether we could put together a helpful fact sheet with hints and tips and “must dos” which would be useful for deaf people going on cruises?

    You obviously are far more advanced in your knowledge than I and actual experience is a big plus. With all of that knowledge you have, we could, I am sure, do something that might be an aid to cruisers and maybe others. What do you think?

    Regards ….Neil

    Comment


      Hi Neil, I would certainly give you all the information needed and explain anything that you would need or wanted to know and I agree a helpful fact sheet for the Ships would really help. On one of our cruises which was for a month over Christmas and New year I came up with the idea of asking P&O if I could give a talk on Deafness and how to communicate with the profoundly deaf and also was willing to give anyone interested BSL (British sign Language Lessons) on the ship as I was for years a Sign Language Tutor at College well i got an email back from P&O to say that I would have to ask the entertainment Officer on Board and that no payment would be paid to which I replied I had not even thought of asking for payment I simply wanted to make more people Deaf Aware. But once on board and asking the Entertainment Officer he kindly told me that every miniute of the Azura's free time had been taken up with other things, so I of course just had to drop it and forget about it. It was a pity as I am sure plenty people would have wanted to learn as it is expensive to go on a course at college. I really hope you can bring this problem up with someone who can help then deaf people will certainly enjoy themselves more instead of WONDERING what is being said. By the way our Stateroom steward asked us if he could learn the fingerspelling alphabet so I showed him and it took him only 20 min to learn and he was from Sri Lanka. He was brilliant! Regards

      Comment


        Originally posted by Cruiser, Fife View Post
        Hi Neil, I would certainly give you all the information needed and explain anything that you would need or wanted to know and I agree a helpful fact sheet for the Ships would really help. On one of our cruises which was for a month over Christmas and New year I came up with the idea of asking P&O if I could give a talk on Deafness and how to communicate with the profoundly deaf and also was willing to give anyone interested BSL (British sign Language Lessons) on the ship as I was for years a Sign Language Tutor at College well i got an email back from P&O to say that I would have to ask the entertainment Officer on Board and that no payment would be paid to which I replied I had not even thought of asking for payment I simply wanted to make more people Deaf Aware. But once on board and asking the Entertainment Officer he kindly told me that every miniute of the Azura's free time had been taken up with other things, so I of course just had to drop it and forget about it. It was a pity as I am sure plenty people would have wanted to learn as it is expensive to go on a course at college. I really hope you can bring this problem up with someone who can help then deaf people will certainly enjoy themselves more instead of WONDERING what is being said. By the way our Stateroom steward asked us if he could learn the fingerspelling alphabet so I showed him and it took him only 20 min to learn and he was from Sri Lanka. He was brilliant! Regards
        I learnt 'finger spelling' when a deaf and dumb 'speaker' came to speak to us during a youth club session decades ago. It's SO easy to learn and apart from it's main use at that time[talking during boring sermons when we were teenagers] it's been amazingly useful over the years. I've had some Makaton training too but I'm not as proficient at that.
        My finger spelling speed has been honed over the years and is quite good.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
          I learnt 'finger spelling' when a deaf and dumb 'speaker' came to speak to us during a youth club session decades ago. It's SO easy to learn and apart from it's main use at that time[talking during boring sermons when we were teenagers] it's been amazingly useful over the years. I've had some Makaton training too but I'm not as proficient at that.
          My finger spelling speed has been honed over the years and is quite good.
          That is very goodMrs M and yes I can just imagine any deaf person who meets you and discovers you can finger spell will be very relieved as it really is difficult to lip-read people you don't know.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Cruiser, Fife View Post
            Hi Neil, I would certainly give you all the information needed and explain anything that you would need or wanted to know and I agree a helpful fact sheet for the Ships would really help. On one of our cruises which was for a month over Christmas and New year I came up with the idea of asking P&O if I could give a talk on Deafness and how to communicate with the profoundly deaf and also was willing to give anyone interested BSL (British sign Language Lessons) on the ship as I was for years a Sign Language Tutor at College well i got an email back from P&O to say that I would have to ask the entertainment Officer on Board and that no payment would be paid to which I replied I had not even thought of asking for payment I simply wanted to make more people Deaf Aware. But once on board and asking the Entertainment Officer he kindly told me that every miniute of the Azura's free time had been taken up with other things, so I of course just had to drop it and forget about it. It was a pity as I am sure plenty people would have wanted to learn as it is expensive to go on a course at college. I really hope you can bring this problem up with someone who can help then deaf people will certainly enjoy themselves more instead of WONDERING what is being said. By the way our Stateroom steward asked us if he could learn the fingerspelling alphabet so I showed him and it took him only 20 min to learn and he was from Sri Lanka. He was brilliant! Regards
            Hi, the issue about deafness ( my husband is now becoming very deaf) came up years ago on this Forum & the inability of cruise ships to get to grip, this is a link to what I posted in 2009! The Organisation I found about, may be able to help? See Post 34.

            http://www.cruises.co.uk/112-disable...isabled-4.html

            It may well be worth looking for more up to date information.
            Lizzie sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by Cruiser, Fife View Post
              By the way Neil, when in Florida there was a Hurricane expected and as we had rented a villa and had been told we would have to go to a shelter for safety we asked for directions and after that person phoning to find out where we should go and gave us directions on arriving we were shocked to find we had been giving directions to a mentally handicapped shelter that is how the Americans think of deaf people as being mental. We even had our ears prodded and looked into and asked stupid questions such as "How can't you Hear" and shouted in our ears. I always thought the Americans would have a good understanding of deaf people but I was wrong.
              Hi cruiser.

              Just because its a hidden disablity it gets put to one side, as other disabilities are, which may not be immediately obvious. A walking stick or wheelchair usually demands immediate assistance unlike the walking able and even they may not be so able some of the time.

              I did learn Makaton, and at one time was very proficient in it, but after reading you posts I really should brush up on it as I am indeed very rustynow.

              Your point does need to be addressed by the cruise companies. I wish you all the best in your endeavour to educate them on such matters. They also seem unable to understand fluctuating conditions.
              Last edited by Diva18, UK; 6th June 2012, 09:34 PM.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
                Hi cruiser.

                Just because its a hidden disablity it gets put to one side, as other disabilities are, which may not be immediately obvious. A walking stick or wheelchair usually demands immediate assistance unlike the walking able and even they may not be so able some of the time.

                I did learn Makaton, and at one time was very poficient in it, but after reading you posts I really should brush up on it as I am indeed very rusty now with regards to it.

                Your point does need to be addressed by the cruise companies. I wish you all the best in your endeavour to educate them on such matters. They also seem unable to understand fluctuating conditions.
                Use it or lose it Diva as far as I was concerned.

                I don't use it often enough to be proficient, but I used to teach finger spelling to my year four and fives and they got such fun out of 'talking' to one another. Hopefully it may actually be of 'proper' use one day.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                  With the cost of most ships excursions being fairly high I thought I would look at DIY excursions and say how I do them. This is not meant to be a monologue and I hope many of you will put in your own way of dealing with excursions.

                  I realise that many of you feel that the ship’s excursions are the safest and won’t want to change but there are many newcomers out there and others who might feel that DIY excursions are worth experimenting with. So here goes……

                  The secret to successfully managing your own excursions is, in my opinion, preparation.

                  Preparation

                  First and foremost this should not be a bind or a chore; it should be a way of enjoying your holiday long before you even pack your cases.

                  Collecting Material:

                  There are several places that material or information can be found:

                  1. Look at the ship’s excursions and cut and paste or tick what interests you, this might be from one or more of the ship’s tours because by cutting out the unnecessary ones, visit to “Carpet Shops” and the like, adding is not difficult.
                  2. Find what others has done and written about on this and other forums; of where they have gone, what transport they have used, which tour companies ashore are reliable and what to avoid.
                  3. Go to the “Tourist” website owned and run by the town, city or area you will be visiting. Obviously some of this is advertising but much of it is solid information.
                  4. Check out what you have found on sites like trip advisor and virtual tourist. These, particularly trip advisor, will serve up unwanted advertising and try to re-direct you but try to remain detached and they will be a valuable source.
                  5. Have a look at bus and rail time-tables and the prices and keep these along with the “Metro” schematic drawings of the lines and stations to use in your planning and when you get there.
                  6. Make copious notes and cut and paste to make a file for future reference for yourself and so that you can pass on your experiences of what to do and what to avoid.

                  Planning your Days out:

                  First and most important, make yourself a detailed Itinerary Sheet. Incorporate into that;
                  Day of the week, Date, Port of Call (or write “Day at Sea”) Time of arrival, Time of Departure.

                  These facts will allow you to make judgements as to what you can or can’t fit in because of the amount of time you have, if Sunday might affect your planning and if you are possible arriving late in the day or departing early in the day.
                  Make a list of where you want to go and what you want to do so that you can tell the taxi driver or even show them, be able to judge whether you can add something or take something out.
                  You can also show someone else what you intend to do and cut your costs by having them interested enough to come with you.
                  It also helps you to work out your costs and see whether you can do more or less that you have there.
                  It gives you a record so that you can pass it on to someone else and or reuse it yourself some time in the near or distant future.
                  Some forums have sections with a “Roll Call” where you can join in with others on something they are arranging or arrange something yourself and get others to join you. This is a great way to gain knowledge too but mainly it is a way of enjoying the company of others and reducing the cost of touring.

                  Take it with you:

                  I have three folders that I generally take with me:
                  One is the Documents Folder, with obviously all the tickets, passes and anything official for travel, hotels and ship in it.
                  The second is all the planning for the days out in a fairly detailed manner (even with an Index at times) and in chronological order.
                  The third is of all the extras like maps, time-tables diagrams of Metro systems etc.
                  All of these fit comfortable into the front pocket of my “Carry-on” case and I have never had a problem with weight.

                  We have had some brilliant days out with this scheme and although we have had some mistakes and failures I have had and heard of far more of those with the “Official Excursions”.

                  Just remember to allow time to be back an hour before last boarding time and plan for as many eventualities as you can. We have never been late back or had any problems in that direction. Our next cruise is already 90% planned but needs correlating and I have loved every minute of putting it together.

                  Give me your ideas, tell me what I’ve forgotten and start planning, why not? …..Neil
                  Sounds like someone after my own heart. I love the planning, makes the cruise (or land holiday) more interesting. I too take a folder with chronological information. Planning ahead makes the best use of time. We take tours if there is no other sensible way of reaching a desired place in the time available. Tours with lunch included are not only expensive but we have found them to be shocking waste of precious time.

                  I would add something to the 'material' section. I go to the public library and browse as many books as possible on the different areas. Then borrow the most informative and make notes. Some of them are out of date re times, prices etc but the basic 'sights' in each place will not have changed. Armed with an ideal 'hit list' for a place, check out details on the websites. At each port I also try to keep my eyes peeled for any complementary maps or brochures as I go through the terminal - useful as the most up to date information, may be more detailed than those you have, and sometimes make a useful souvenir of the hoiday.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
                    Sounds like someone after my own heart. I love the planning, makes the cruise (or land holiday) more interesting. I too take a folder with chronological information. Planning ahead makes the best use of time. We take tours if there is no other sensible way of reaching a desired place in the time available. Tours with lunch included are not only expensive but we have found them to be shocking waste of precious time.

                    I would add something to the 'material' section. I go to the public library and browse as many books as possible on the different areas. Then borrow the most informative and make notes. Some of them are out of date re times, prices etc but the basic 'sights' in each place will not have changed. Armed with an ideal 'hit list' for a place, check out details on the websites. At each port I also try to keep my eyes peeled for any complementary maps or brochures as I go through the terminal - useful as the most up to date information, may be more detailed than those you have, and sometimes make a useful souvenir of the hoiday.
                    Well done you, I am impressed. We are not alone in what we do and the many people that feel that their holiday starts long before they go away because of finding out interesting things about their ports of call really get a kick from it as well as ease of information and less confusion when in port.

                    You are right; I had forgotten libraries as a great source of information. I shouldn't but I do rely very much on the clicks of the mouse to navigate my way around and cutting and pasting easier that copying and writing.

                    I hope you continue to enjoy what you do and to write and tell us and others what you found a good place, idea or venue. .....Neil

                    Comment


                      Thank you Neil this is a really good thread. Can I just add, don’t forget to agree a price with your taxi driver before setting off. I have found that with a little bit of negotiation you can usually trim about 25% off the initial asking price.

                      Comment


                        Nice to hear some logical economic thinking.
                        Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                        Some people take it to the extreme. We were on a cruise a few years back which incorportated stops at Goa, Cochin and Mumbai. At Mumbai a group of Americans organised a trip to the Taj Mahal with flights overnights stops and a return to catch the ship back up three days later in Cochin. At a very heavy cost of $ 2500 each (I will add cheaper than the ships excursion at over $4000 !)

                        I can never understand the logic in going to these extremes. Miss three days of a cruise you have paid for, Miss two of the key ports which in themselves have a lot to offer - then pay way over the top for an excursion that you could do as a package holiday.. Same applies to those that call at le Havre and then spend a couple of hundred quid going to Paris. Do the cruise, enjoy the port then book a seperate weekend away for the same money and have two holiday breaks instead of one.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Bill Board, West Midlands View Post
                          Thank you Neil this is a really good thread. Can I just add, don’t forget to agree a price with your taxi driver before setting off. I have found that with a little bit of negotiation you can usually trim about 25% off the initial asking price.
                          This is a very good point. It is always necessary to negotiate anyway just to make sure that everyone knows the exact amount. I have known cases where the price has gone up after, always a "try-on" because we stopped to long here or visited somewhere. Sort it at the beginning as you say. ......Neil

                          Comment


                            We (I) taken the time to do just for our group (3 couples over 55) and most of the fun is when things go slighty wrong, ie train or bus going the wrong direction.Still we manage to get around and back to the ship in time it,s all in the planning and and don,t panic Mr Mannering
                            MJP

                            Comment


                            We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.


                            By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

                            Working...
                            X