• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I cut down my cruise packing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I cut down my cruise packing?

on a 15 nighter but Easyjet flight out = 20kg max

shoes - 1 pair formal heels, 1 pair smart flats, 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair sandals, travel in Vans as heaviest

formal - 3 dresses plus holdieinnie undies !

evenings - 1 pair smart black trousers, 1 pair smart white trousers, 1 pair smart grey trousers, 1 pair smart knee length shorts, 1 pair 3/4 trousers, 5 shirts, 5 pretty tops, 5 pretty tees

day - sea days - 3 pairs shorts, 5 vest tops, 4 swimmers, 1 sundress/coverup
    day - ports (Egypt/Jordan) 1 pair linen trousers, 3 vest tops, 2 long linen shirts

15 pairs white undies, 3 white bras, same in black, 6 pairs socks, 3 pairs tights, 2 sun hats, 2 sunglasses, 1 cardi, 1 thin shawl, chargers, netbook, adapters, scented bin liners for dirty laundry

toiletries, sun cream, jewellery, clothes pegs n wash, 2x guide books, 4 books, meds, tea bags, travel water bottle, travel mug, sweeties for cabin attendant/waiters, notebook n pencils

that's the plan, so how come I end up with much much more, have to pack, unpack, repack 3 times and come home with unworn clothes?!!

any ideas on how to pack light and keep it light ( managed 3 nights in France on carry on only last month so why can't I cruise light?), my packing willpower is fading! doesn't help that I have 30kg on Emirates coming home and keep comparing the weight limits!
    Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

We solved this problem, (when I say we I mean my wife) she now puts everything we have to take onto the bed the night before leaving, gets out cases, then divides the piles into two, one of which she returns to the wardrobes.

Since doing this we have room on our return for those few extras tops she buys on board.
    Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

"How do I cut down my cruise packing?"

Easy! On average women pack 50% more than they need, so just leave 50% behind.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post

but which 50%? knowing my luck I'll leave the wrong half behind!
        Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post

have tried to tell wife this but she never listens.
          its do i need this ,oh i'll take it just in case.
          when we get home she says ,i did'nt need half of what i took and when i say I TOLD YOU SO, the answer i get is, well i may have needed them.

Comment

Sophie, this is easy

Less undies and just rinse them through and they dry overnight in the bathroom. You need a kindle! then you can leave the books at home.

Travel size toiletries that you use up, so no need to bring back and that leaves room for stuff bought on holiday.

Forget the sweets for the cabin attendant/waiters and think how you are saving their teeth.

Choose..flip flops or sandals..you can't have both..only kidding!

Oh how easy it is to sit here and type what you should do, I am the worlds worst packer...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
              Sophie, this is easy

Less undies and just rinse them through and they dry overnight in the bathroom. You need a kindle! then you can leave the books at home.

Travel size toiletries that you use up, so no need to bring back and that leaves room for stuff bought on holiday.

Forget the sweets for the cabin attendant/waiters and think how you are saving their teeth.

Choose..flip flops or sandals..you can't have both..only kidding!

Oh how easy it is to sit here and type what you should do, I am the worlds worst packer...Carol
              I had a Sony e-reader - lost it on Indy Jan 2011 (think it slipped down side of bed on last night and forgot to check for it til I got home)

Less undies? that is less - took 36 pairs on my last cruise !!!! and travel wash!

don't need to worry re space coming home, have 30kg allowance
              Helen

Comment

The best packing system is to split your clothes into two piles.

Chuck one pile back in the cupboard and you will still have plenty left over that never gets worn by the end of the cruise.............

I'm out 'a here..............
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  The best packing system is to split your clothes into two piles.

Chuck one pile back in the cupboard and you will still have plenty left over that never gets worn by the end of the cruise.............

I'm out 'a here..............
                  No need to run n hide Wilba

I do a 33% then another 33% cut down when I unpack/repack (x2) but still have too much, plus if I pack too soon I sneak things back in!
                  Helen

Comment

Dont forget your hand luggage allowence. We flew easyjet to catch a cruise last year and I took the biggest size hand luggage allowed and packed what I wanted in my checked in case being prepared to pay excees baggage if I had to but managed to keep to the 20k.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                      Dont forget your hand luggage allowence. We flew easyjet to catch a cruise last year and I took the biggest size hand luggage allowed and packed what I wanted in my checked in case being prepared to pay excees baggage if I had to but managed to keep to the 20k.
                      Cheers
                      hand luggage will be crammed w/ netbook, cameras, MP3, books, cash, passport, heaviest shoes, jewellery, 1 pair swimmers, shorts n tee, meds and packed brekkie for (Sl)easyjet flight!
                      Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Sophiesnores, Basingstoke View Post
                        I had a Sony e-reader - lost it on Indy Jan 2011 (think it slipped down side of bed on last night and forgot to check for it til I got home)

Less undies? that is less - took 36 pairs on my last cruise !!!! and travel wash!

don't need to worry re space coming home, have 30kg allowance
                        Good God...How much underwear? Was it a world cruise?

Three key words here? Launder...ditch and halve.

I could halve your day stuff and your evening non formal wear.

Halve your underwear and launder.

By a Kindle and don't lose it this time.

Have black as your staple 'colour' and co ordinated camisoles and silk floaty shirts.

Halve the swim wear and launder

halve the vests and launder

Ditch the sweets...ditch the water bottle you can buy later...ditch the mug you can buy later

Ditch a pair of day shorts and laundershorts

Don't know what Vans are but they sound heavy

How're we doing?

Comment

O the JOY of cruiseing from the UK, of course it helps that I would be quite happy to be anchored off the Isle of Wight for a week as I'm not that fussed about getting off and just love sea days.

Comment

Don't take toiletries. Buy them when you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_C, Worthing View Post
                              Don't take toiletries. Buy them when you get there.
                              NOOOOOOOOO!
                              I have to take my own hair products with me and sensitive skin stuff/sun screen...but I do decant into smaller containers where poss/if necessary [ie a 500ml pump action container is not a good idea].

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X