• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I get there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just booked flights to Portugal in September using Avios. When I checked yesterday I had a choice of three - today only the least convenient was left. I did, however, also manage to book a stay-and-park deal at LHR with Avios.

The lesson is that you need to book far ahead to get the best deals.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire, Bristol View Post
      Now, this is where I get really confused. I have FF miles with BA (now Avios) and wanted to use them for one way from Martinique to London but BA don't fly from Martinique so would have to fly Air France. Anybody any idea how I can use them to get back to England from Martinique (one way)?
      Seems they dont work on that route. You can fly from St Lucia though so maybe you can get a ferry?

Avios are much more restricted than Air Miles were.
      Last edited by Santa, Redditch; 12th April 2012, 01:46 PM.
      The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
      T Pratchett.

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil Down, Southampton;401818]What have I done wrong with this thread? To date 149 views and not a single post to add to or detract from my idea of how to view this type of arrangement.

Maybe it calls for no reaction or maybe I didn't ask for views of its validity, correctness or mistakes or maybe I got it completely right, that would be a first.

Hi Neil,
        We do cruise only for Europe and cruise package for long haul.
        This proved useful for our last Ultimate Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox in March. I'll try to be succinct but we had the flight from hell.

Our British Airways flight Manchester/Heathrow was delayed by 90 minutes due to fog at Heathrow. This resulted in us missing the connecting Heathrow/Miami flight. T5 rebooking was chaotic and we queued for over 2 hours for a flight to Newark, NY and then a flight for Newark/Miami. Had 2 hours sleep in 3* Newark hotel (we should have been staying at Fort Lauderdale Hilton) and back to airport at 3.00 am to be told that our United Airlines flight boarding pass was invalid. The seats we had had been re-allocated and that flight and the following flight was full - they could only offer us a flight at 14.45 which meant we would miss the cruise.

The check-in staff told us to go away and sort it out with BA. BA office was closed so we stood our ground and told them thay had to help us. After 90 distressing minutes they offered us a flight to Fort Lauderdale for almost $600 - we accepted this and paid up.

When we boarded Guest Relations re-imbursed the cost of the flights in due course. Had we been cruise only I think it would have been a lot more difficult to get a re-imbursement, we'd probably have had to use our travel insurance.

US airport staff neither helpful or friendly and by some of the staff (not all) we were deemed a nuisance! The memories are still fresh so at the moment we've decided to boycott USA and stick to cruises nearer home.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant, it's good to get it off my chest.
        Regards, Brigit

Comment

[QUOTE=Brigit, Wirral;403851]
          Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
          What have I done wrong with this thread? To date 149 views and not a single post to add to or detract from my idea of how to view this type of arrangement.

Maybe it calls for no reaction or maybe I didn't ask for views of its validity, correctness or mistakes or maybe I got it completely right, that would be a first.

Hi Neil,
          We do cruise only for Europe and cruise package for long haul.
          This proved useful for our last Ultimate Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox in March. I'll try to be succinct but we had the flight from hell.

Our British Airways flight Manchester/Heathrow was delayed by 90 minutes due to fog at Heathrow. This resulted in us missing the connecting Heathrow/Miami flight. T5 rebooking was chaotic and we queued for over 2 hours for a flight to Newark, NY and then a flight for Newark/Miami. Had 2 hours sleep in 3* Newark hotel (we should have been staying at Fort Lauderdale Hilton) and back to airport at 3.00 am to be told that our United Airlines flight boarding pass was invalid. The seats we had had been re-allocated and that flight and the following flight was full - they could only offer us a flight at 14.45 which meant we would miss the cruise.

The check-in staff told us to go away and sort it out with BA. BA office was closed so we stood our ground and told them thay had to help us. After 90 distressing minutes they offered us a flight to Fort Lauderdale for almost $600 - we accepted this and paid up.

When we boarded Guest Relations re-imbursed the cost of the flights in due course. Had we been cruise only I think it would have been a lot more difficult to get a re-imbursement, we'd probably have had to use our travel insurance.

US airport staff neither helpful or friendly and by some of the staff (not all) we were deemed a nuisance! The memories are still fresh so at the moment we've decided to boycott USA and stick to cruises nearer home.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant, it's good to get it off my chest.
          Regards, Brigit
          That's interesting because since you had booked a package I would have thought that it was up to Celebrity to sort out the problems. If you were independant it may be that you would have been treated differently - I don't know. You would probably have allowed more time for things to go wrong though, so even with a delay, much less hassle.

Was it Murphy who said "If it can go wrong - it will."
          T Pratchett.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X