• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

views on Thomson ships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

views on Thomson ships

Can anyone tell me what the Thomson ships are like? We have never been on a cruise. The cabins don't look as nice as the other lines

Thanks

The entire Thomson fleet is older/smaller ships, but if you have never been on a cruise ship they are still big! The ships can appear a little worn inside and the cabins are a little dated, in terms of fixtures and fittings. The cabins can also be a little smaller than on the new ships. Balconies are much rarer, so sold at a premium.

However the food, entertainment and general on-board experience can be very good for the fare paid. Many passengers enjoy the British atmosphere, British style food, pub-prices and the more intimate feel (being smaller ships)

In terms of fares: Thomson's can fluctuate. They can range from 'A bargain' to about the same as everyone else!

Do compare Thomson's fare with 'Fred Olsen' who offer a similar British product on older/smaller ships, but they are all in first class condition (but the cabins can still a little dated). Olsen can appeal to a slightly older age group than Thomson.

Marco Polo (CMV cruise line) is a surprisingly nice older ship too. I've heard that there Ocean Countess (from Liverpool) is also nice.

P&O also offer a British experience, generally on newer/bigger ships. You might expect to pay more than Thomson.

Does this help or confuse?
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 4th February 2012, 05:27 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Our first cruise was a Thomson cruise and looking back they are not the modern ships other fleets have but the staff were the best and also the food and service.
      Trish

Comment

i have mainly cruised with thomson but the last cruise i did was on p and o ventura.
        i loved every thomson cruise that i did because i loved the destination based itinerary but i have to say that i loved the newer ship and better food provided by p and o.
        on p and o i disliked the fact that tips would be expected at the end of the cruise; i always intended to do so, but i could see a tension in the cabin steward and waiters (who were very miserable on the last night); gratuities are included with thomson so you don't get this.
        i felt more included in the entertainment available on thomson, perhaps because of smaller ships e.g. afternoon play,not done by p and o.
        i feel quite sorry for thomson because i was looking forward to the "dream", but then it got crashed,as costa europa, and i believe that thomson inherited a very damaged ship, it was supposed to be the prize of the fleet....or, is it their own fault for not cancelling bookings and rectifying faults after this happened and putting profits first?
        Last edited by liauq, w mids; 4th February 2012, 06:55 PM. Reason: rubbish typist

Comment

You pays your money...

Thompson Dream scored very highly in last month's Cruise poll. I must say this surprised me but, as I've never been on a Thompson cruise (or holiday) the I have nothing to base my surprise on.
          I asked my travel agent about Dream and she said that it does have its high points (entertainment and, from memory, food were two) but that cabins are quite small.
          Best read the experience of others - though judging by the current MSC debate (of interest to me as a prospective MSC cruiser) people have completely different views and experiences. This happens on Tripadvisor reviews: I find it best to ignore any extremes.

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
            This happens on Tripadvisor reviews: I find it best to ignore any extremes.
            I read 20-30 reviews (ideally recent ones) and take an average of the star rating. Every ship will have some 5 star reviews and some 1star reviews, it's the average viewpoint which is important.

Comment

Cruised on Dream twice in the med, yes bit dated but very good value for money. Rooms might be dated in appearance but beds really comfortable, shower was ok and all clean and tidy, so all that we wanted/needed. Our first cruise was on the Dream, got us hooked so must have been alright.
              Have now done 5 cruises in 2 years(with several lines) best advice would be chose where you want to go and then find best value to suit budget, and of course check the reviews but have an open mind. You learn so much from others on the first cruise am sure you will not be disappointed whoever you chose.

Comment

we were on thomson destiny and loved it if you like a challange try to have a shower without the shower curtain touching you. i managed it once! with the all inc drinks package the value is terrific. looks expensive to start but with tips inc and drinks great food all for the adverised price it is usually cheaper in the long run. also tompson fly from loads of local airports ( much nicer from bournemouth than gatwick )

Comment

We have only been on Celebration but several cruise lines since, I must say although the ship was old and relatively small, the service, food and entertainment was of an excellent standard. Yes we would cruise Thomson again..

Comment

Yes, we've been on Celebration too, and had a great time, but it was chosen for the itinerary round the Red Sea, and for the included local flights; the great entertainment and activities were a pleasant surprise, and the food was OK ( we had the cheap drinks package for booking early, which might have helped there!). I'll not say we won't go on them again, in fact OH is quite keen for Dream in the Caribbean, but on the whole we prefer the largest ships.
                    Jo.
                    Jo.

Comment

We did the Red sea too, Petra was amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by lesley, Doncaster View Post
                        Can anyone tell me what the Thomson ships are like? We have never been on a cruise. The cabins don't look as nice as the other lines

Thanks

Hello Lesley - It all really comes down to your personal requirements, what Thomson offer is a good quality product, albeit on older ships,

If you want the glitz and glamour side of cruising then Thomson are not for you, however if you want good quality entertainment, food, service, with no hidden costs then you can't go wrong.

The overall onboard experience is excellent, if you want lively you can have lively, alternatively there are many quieter bars.

Regarding cabins, they are small, but they are on most ships, unless you're prepared to pay the extra, I have personally found them more than adequate.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy your first cruise.

Regards Diddy

Comment

Thanks for all the information. We are going on the Spirit in August - first ever cruise. We chose the Spirit initially for the itinerary, but after reading all the reviews and comments I think the less formal style will suit us!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarloaf View, Monmouthshire View Post
                            .. I think the less formal style will suit us!
                            There are formal evening meals with Thomson. Few cruise lines are fully 'informal', NCL being one of the major exceptions.

I wrote a long review a few years back about Celebration (mainly about the ship). 'Celebration' is identical to 'Spirit'. It may be helpful:

Celebration ‘Red Sea Magic’ � Malcolm Oliver's Cruiseblog

Comment

We have been on the Celebration-I think we may have bee on the Destiny when it belonged to Airtours-called the Sunbeam?_not sure if I have remembered the name correctly? Found the Celebration quite small and didnt have a safe in the cabin so had to go to Reception to have safe opened.As previous views-I think the food,entertainment and service were excellant-in fact compared to P&O Oceana (which we were on last year) all that was much better. What does it matter if the cabins are small? we dont spend much time in them do we? Also Thomson have some good itinerys. I'm going on the Destiny in March so will find out what it's like then.
                              Patsy,Somerset

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X