• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabin Safes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin Safes

In Cabin Safes. There are usually two types; one with push buttons to put a four digit code in and others which use a swipe card. My top tip is to take an old out of date store card or phone card - anything with a magnetic strip on the back. I always slip one into my bag just incase the safe is the swipe card type, as if it is and the only thing you have with you is your credit card then you cant lock your credit card in the safe if you have nothing else to use.

Totally agree

We have always done exactly that.

One more tip, which some might consider over the top but I still do it for some trips, is to carry a dummy wallet. That is a wallet with a few dollars in and all of the cards are unusable or inactive. Even things like old Macro or store cards have a place because if they are stolen by a mugger they are not noprmally aware of what our cards are like nor are they liable to study them immediately. I don't take it everywhere but there are places where I keep it as back up. The main thing to remember is which pocket the dummy's in . ....Neil

Comment

Wallets!!

I don't have that problem no matter how many wallets I carry! None of them are worth stealing!!......Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

One more tip, which some might consider over the top but I still do it for some trips, is to carry a dummy wallet. That is a wallet with a few dollars in and all of the cards are unusable or inactive. Even things like old Macro or store cards have a place because if they are stolen by a mugger they are not noprmally aware of what our cards are like nor are they liable to study them immediately. I don't take it everywhere but there are places where I keep it as back up. The main thing to remember is which pocket the dummy's in . ....Neil

Comment

Most of the cabin safes we have had lately are the 4/6 digit number, we did have some of the swipe in past years and I used to carry the old hotel cards and used them. As far as going about with loose cash never at the most $20 and the rest I use my credit card which I carry with my seapass hardly any impression in a front pocket and over the years no problems. I can cancel the card from any telephone its a freephone number anywhere in the world and I can check on-line using the ships computer to ensure the card is not being used illegally, even here a back-up as the card provider contacts my mobile if for any reason they are suspicious of any transaction.
          Bill Byth
          sigpic
          Website

Comment

Makro not old Macro dear chap !
            Slave to the Deal

Comment

Ooooops!

Quote " Makro not old Macro dear chap !"

How could I have done that? Maybe because you are always on my mind, that reminds me, I must get back to my song writing!!!!!!!!! Neil

Comment

Quote " Makro not old Macro dear chap !"

How could I have done that? Maybe because you are always on my mind, that reminds me, I must get back to my song writing!!!!!!!!! Neil
                Neil, you jogged a memory from a few years back I was visiting a next door neighbour whose son had just come home having been working overseas for about 15 years and it was New Years Day, he was a bit under the weather, and she said this is Mary Hamilton's son and he turned to her and said I don't know the words mum but if you hum it they might come to me
                Bill Byth
                sigpic
                Website

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Blyth, Dundee View Post
                  Neil, you jogged a memory from a few years back I was visiting a next door neighbour whose son had just come home having been working overseas for about 15 years and it was New Years Day, he was a bit under the weather, and she said this is Mary Hamilton's son and he turned to her and said I don't know the words mum but if you hum it they might come to me
                  I always store my wallet down my pants when I leave the ship, at least if I get pick pocketed I might enjoy it:D

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X