• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for Healthy Cruising!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Healthy Cruising!

WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY!
    Why: Avoid exposing yourself and others to anything that may cause ilnesses and spread germs.
    When: Wash your hands often but especially after using the toilet and before eating or smoking.

IF YOU'RE SICK BEFORE YOU GO ON YOUR CRUISE REPORT YOUR ILLNESS!
    Before your voyageIF YOU'RE SICK DURING YOUR VOYAGE:AVOID EATING OR DRINKING ANYTHING THAT YOU THINK WILL MAKE YOU SICK
    Look for inspection scores and general food service cleanliness to help you to decide where and what to eat.

Taken from CDC's Vessel Sanitation Programme
    www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp

Do you have anything to add? Please feel free!
    Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Please note: I am currently on maternity leave. Should you have any admin queries, please send a PM to Nisha at sea . Thanks

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Hand Gel

We always take with us now a small travel bottle of the Hand Sanitiser Gel which is available in all chemists stores. Really useful to use whilst ashore. Also the small pocket packs of antiseptic wipes. I wouldnt be without these. On our last cruise there were staff handing out the wipes before going into the buffet area and also the Maitre'Ds on the restaurant doors handing these out and noone was allowed past them without taking one. Much better than the gel I thought and glad to see it being enforced.

Comment

Health at sea

Agree totally with the hand gel and wipes routine. On a small ship it is also possible to use only your ensuite facilities when on board and thus cut the risk of cross infection. Of course on a large ship this is not an option if you are 15 minutes walk form your loo! Or it wouldn't be for me. We also have the strong chance of Swine 'flu too and with a lot of cruisers being quite elderly this could be a major problem. Lots of hand washing, lots of fresh air and cross your fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson Crusoe View Post
        WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY!
        Why: Avoid exposing yourself and others to anything that may cause ilnesses and spread germs.
        When: Wash your hands often but especially after using the toilet and before eating or smoking.

Before your voyageIF YOU'RE SICK DURING YOUR VOYAGE:AVOID EATING OR DRINKING ANYTHING THAT YOU THINK WILL MAKE YOU SICK
        Look for inspection scores and general food service cleanliness to help you to decide where and what to eat.

Taken from CDC's Vessel Sanitation Programme
        www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp

Do you have anything to add? Please feel free!
        Avoid Greek Cruise ships ! see this from 2006:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFux2AAMso
        Slave to the Deal

Comment

When we was on the ventura all the restaurants we had to have a squirt of anti bacterial wash given by a member of the crew, why can't all ships do this if its for the good of the people and the reputation of the ships, but i know it is still upto the persons resposibility do do this at other parts of the ship,

Comment

We had to do this each time we got on the ship last year too.
            sigpic

Comment

Fred Olsen are very thorough with regard to hand gel - you can hardly move without someone squirting your hands.

One thing amuses me though: there are signs in the public toilets asking passengers to use a paper towel to open the door when leaving. Given the typical lack of mobility on Fred's ships I wonder how many managed to open the door, dispose of the towel in the waste bin at the far end of the toilets, and nip back before the door closed... ;)

Comment

Avoid Greek Cruise ships ! see this from 2006:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFux2A

Originally posted by Macro, Reading View Post
                Avoid Greek Cruise ships ! see this from 2006:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFux2AAMso
                That was Amazing, I hope the 2 who worked on there got medals and a heafty reward, as they deserved everything they got, like to know what happened to the captain and the crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson Crusoe View Post
                  Before your voyage
                  I cannot imagine many people owning up to the fact that have been sick just before going on a cruise. A lot of people may have booked their cruise well over a year ahead. They are looking forward to it, they may ruin the holiday for their friends and/or partner by owning up and being forced to miss the cruise.

It may not be right but silence is golden!

Comment

Not about to 'declare'

Originally posted by Seabird, Rayleigh View Post
                    I cannot imagine many people owning up to the fact that have been sick just before going on a cruise.
                    A lot of people may have booked their cruise well over a year ahead.
                    They are looking forward to it, they may ruin the holiday for their friends and/or partner
                    by owning up and being forced to miss the cruise.

It may not be right but silence is golden!
                    I rather agree.

If you've got any sense, you look after your personal health better than usual
                    for about two weeks prior to your cruise
                    staying well away from coughing sniffly people and kids(horrible things! :D )
                    i.e. get your health act together! ;)

Those who come down with serious stuff while on board
                    often get confined to cabin for several days.
                    They'll put a guard outside your door too, if necessary
                    to see you stay there!

Isn't that what you paid your money for?
                    To be confined to cabin?
                    No?

Then look after yourself and see it doesn't happen!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X