• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Fly/cruise'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Fly/cruise'

Hi everyone,

Having only cruised the once and sailing from Southampton which was really easy, i was wondering if you have to fly to a port to pick up a ship, are there any advantages to booking the flights at the same time as you book the cruise or is it better to do the two separately
    Thankyou .............................Carol

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    Hi everyone,

Having only cruised the once and sailing from Southampton which was really easy, i was wondering if you have to fly to a port to pick up a ship, are there any advantages to booking the flights at the same time as you book the cruise or is it better to do the two separately
    www.skyscanner.net alot to search for flights then I run prices through Travel Republic as sometimes they offer far better deals.

Organised have been to Corfu, Palma, Crete & Barbados. DIY to Sharm, Palma, Malaga & Rome.

I suppose it depends upon the level of security you require and how adventurous you are feeling
    Last edited by Shelledpea, Stalybridge; 3rd June 2010, 09:01 PM.
    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
      Hi everyone,

I have been doing my own fly/cruise arrangements for the last 12 years and wouldn't do it any other way. The cost savings alone are well above anything offered by an all in one deal by a cruise line or TA.
      Obviously a last minute, go next week for rock bottom money will be hard to beat, but most people are not in the position to drop everything and go cruising.

There are rules, for long haul I would book the cruise 18 months in advance, well before they get printed in the brochure, and long haul flights need to be booked on the first few days of them becoming available, 11 months in advance......Scarey or what!

In all the Med cruises, and I only do fly cruise these days, I can always beat the so called offers and with the savings made, have private transfers throughout, including to and from our own front door, and a hotel for a few nights from our port of departure.

Some cruise lines, mainly the 'British' ones, do not offer a true cruise only price, and you cannot compete with their all in offers, so I tend to favour the 'American' lines, RCI, Celebrity, Carnival and NCL (at a push) who do allow a large margin on cruise only

I do agree with Shelley though, it depends on how adventurous you are ...........Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

I have done 20+ cruises and never sailed from England.

I like to book cruises that provide schedule flights that way I have more flexibility of when I fly out and back.

I tend to avoid charter flight cruises as I like to stay for a couple of days pre or aft cruise. But I have booked my own flights separately and part of a package. It would depend what company you were thinking of using and whether they provide a good cruise only price.

But as the previous poster mentions you have to consider how far from the airport the dock is. In a package deal the transfers are usually provided.

Comment

Carol,
          The other aspect is that if you are booking a cruise that has its own dedicated charter flights, e.g P&O and Princess in the Caribbean, you will not be able to get an independent flight anywhere near the inclusive price.

The savings can only be made if the cruiseline is using scheduled flights and you can often get a much better non stop flight as the cruiselines seem to have volume discount deals with a certain airline, which they will use even if it means routing through another airport en route.

The downside is that if you book the travel independently and you have a problem with the flight, (think volcano!) you are unlikely to get a refund from the cruise company. By booking the air travel with the cruise company means it then becomes a package and the cruise company is then responsible for any delays by law, so they have to provide alternative transport or failing that give you a full refund of the total cost.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
            Carol,
            The other aspect is that if you are booking a cruise that has its own dedicated charter flights, e.g P&O and Princess in the Caribbean, you will not be able to get an independent flight anywhere near the inclusive price.

The savings can only be made if the cruiseline is using scheduled flights and you can often get a much better non stop flight as the cruiselines seem to have volume discount deals with a certain airline, which they will use even if it means routing through another airport en route.

The downside is that if you book the travel independently and you have a problem with the flight, (think volcano!) you are unlikely to get a refund from the cruise company. By booking the air travel with the cruise company means it then becomes a package and the cruise company is then responsible for any delays by law, so they have to provide alternative transport or failing that give you a full refund of the total cost.

Brian
            Wilba

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba, N View Post
                Brian P&O and Princess do not offer a true cruise only price, they offer a paltry couple of hundred quid off, whereas the American lines offer a big chunk off on a cruise only deal.
                ....Wilba

Comment

There are a couple of golden rules you need to stick to if deciding to go down the route of independent flights to cruise:

1. Always book your outbound flight at least one day ahead of cruise, if not more. If you miss the ships departure its up to you to catch up at your expense or forfeit the cost of the cruise. If you miss a departure port in the US, because of some maritime law you cannot embark at another port, you will lose your cruise completely.

2. Always have a back up plan. IF anything should go wrong with your flight - delays/airport closure etc, when is your next available flight. If the airport closes, which is your alternative airport and what flights can you get.

Dont want to frighten you off, just to let you be prepared. This has paid off for us a couple of times. In one case a few years back when the airport security went on alert and they closed all airports the day we were due to fly out to Rome for a cruise. Fortunately as per usual we had booked a day early. Some quick thinking and rebooking from a different airport got us there on time the next day. Even though we lost out on the one nights accommodation we had paid for, it didnt matter as even if we had done the fly cruise package with the cruise company, the cost would have been more, so the way I looked at it we still hadnt 'lost out'.

One other point is if you are looking at European departures, these often tend to be at weekends when flight prices are higher. It therefore works out better anyway to book a cheaper flight on the Wed or Thurs and this in itself usually covers the cost of the extra nights accommodation.

Comment

We have been flying and cruising for over 18 yrs and, as Bradbury said, you have to be aware of the pitfalls. For instance, joining a caribbean cruise? Don't fly via many US cities in the winter as airports close because of snow/'weather'. Airports on the eastern seaboard also have their moments in summer too due to 'weather'. Always go at least 48 hrs in advance as a cushion. The Ash Crisis potential has added a new dimension to the fun of a fly and cruise holiday.
                    We have, on occasions booked flights with sailing dates in mind and gone for last minute sailing bargains but those were on the popular Caribbean and aAaska routes. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Thankyou all for your advice, it really is very much appreciated ..........Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X