• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltics in October

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baltics in October

Hi everyone

I am considering booking a Baltics cruise on 14th October 2018. It goes to Germany, Lithuania, Sweden, Poland. Can anyone tell me their experience of the Baltics in October, before I consider seriously booking it. We are both very experienced cruisers, but not been to Baltics before and this cruise attracted us as it will be my husband's birthday on the cruise. Any shared experiences when sailing in October would be greatly appreciated so that I can make a decision on type of cruise to expect.

It's all about fascinating cities not a sun tan.

The Baltic weather is pretty unpredictable like the UK's. Even August can be unpredictable. October could be mild and dry or wet and cold-ish. Likewise the sea conditions will be unpredicable too.

You will probably get all weather variations over the course of two weeks.

Go for it!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We Baltic'd in May one year and had scorchingly hot weather. Real Factor 50 stuff. We've been in summer, twice and had beautiful weather and also cold and windy. October could be warm/cool/cold/wet/sunny/dull.

Take the Alaska cruise approach. Layers, and have a fabulous time.

Comment

St Petersburge can get the first ground frosts at the end of August. Assume you'll need warm clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
          St Petersburge can get the first ground frosts at the end of August. Assume you'll need warm clothes.
          I disagree. July/ August are actually supposed to be the warmest months of the year although it can be chilly if wet and windy. The weather is usually mild until the end of September.
          However, usually implies there's always the unusual so a fleece is an advisable extra layer.

For October, think layers.
          Last edited by Mrs M; 24th September 2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            I disagree. August is actually supposed to be the warmest month of the year although it can be chilly if wet and windy. The weather is usually mild until the end of September.
            However, usually implies there's always the unusual so a fleece is an advisable extra layer.
            We were told about the frosts by a woman who lives there. Nights can be cold towards the end of August and would certainly be so in October. Snow is apparently not unheard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
              We were told about the frosts by a woman who lives there. Nights can be cold towards the end of August and would certainly be so in October. Snow is apparently not unheard of.
              The weather in August is still warm. Even in the evening, a fleece would suffice on a chilly day.
              I have a friend who lived in St Petersburg for six years. I have seen her blog with snows in October and also brilliant mild weather.
              Baltic port of call, Gdansk for instance can be cool/cold. Yes a coat will be fine but a scarf and fleece gloves, plus layers will be better and more useful.

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience of the Baltics region and weather. I will certainly take a lot of layers so prepared for all sorts of weather.

Is the Baltics sea region in October choppy? We are not faint hearted cruisers, as been through force 10 a few times and worse, but just need to get a handle on sea conditions around this time. Are storms expected around this time. The cruise is on Marco Polo which is built for storm conditions and can handle all sorts, as was an ice breaker in previous life. We love Marco Polo as it has such a character and gets into ports that the gigantic cruise ships cannot.

If we can expect rough conditions, then we go prepared knowing that. Any sea conditions and experience around this autumn time would be appreciated.

Comment

Check out the average weather temperatures and precipitation for the ports on Weatherbase.com. Will give you a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                    Check out the average weather temperatures and precipitation for the ports on Weatherbase.com. Will give you a good idea.
                    Thanks for the advice, will look on there. I am sure it will help.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X