• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More work but pretty essential

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More work but pretty essential

Many people on the Forum know me as a person who has a List of all my List sheets but I went to France a couple of weeks ago and decided to check out my lists.......

What I found was slightly disconcerting because so many were out of date.

We have recently had a huge switching of vital telephone numbers and the ones we used to rely on are now nul and void.

So the number for reaching the emergency services for Insurance, breakdown, banks etc. have often been superceded and a new number is now in use.

I checked my list and 8 out of 10 emergency numbers now no longer exist.

So why not update all your information at the same time checking to see how long you have to run on your EHIC and ESTA, your passports ( have you got copies?) and if you are old your driving license, that you medication/prescription details are up to date.

Sorry to be a pain but better now than when you are away. .......Neil

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
    Many people on the Forum know me as a person who has a List of all my List sheets but I went to France a couple of weeks ago and decided to check out my lists.......

What I found was slightly disconcerting because so many were out of date.

We have recently had a huge switching of vital telephone numbers and the ones we used to rely on are now nul and void.

So the number for reaching the emergency services for Insurance, breakdown, banks etc. have often been superceded and a new number is now in use.

I checked my list and 8 out of 10 emergency numbers now no longer exist.

So why not update all your information at the same time checking to see how long you have to run on your EHIC and ESTA, your passports ( have you got copies?) and if you are old your driving license, that you medication/prescription details are up to date.

Sorry to be a pain but better now than when you are away. .......Neil
    Yes Dad.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Good advice Neil. I too like a good list or three!

Comment

In our house there's a holiday spreadsheet (nothing to do with me) that gets updated as things get done. Airport parking has been ticked off this week. I have my own little list of necessities that lives in my flight bag. It seems to work for us.

Comment

May I also add to make a credit card sized copy of your emergency medical phone number, your insurance policy number and emergency phone number of your banks if you are going to carry cards . These things tend to be left in hotel or cabin safes, where they are not much use if you have just been run over by a tram on Istiklak Caddesi or similar. Or maybe store them on your 'phone.

Comment

I also "like a list" it's part of the preparation for holidays, household bills, insurances etc.

In France last month we were on a train and the Gendarmes came on board and asked for our ID, they were happy with the photocopies of our passports that we keep with us when abroad.

A last thought, all the key information like travel insurance policy number, emergemcy contacts, passport numbers etc send it to yourself as an Email and if the worst happens you can get the information from your EMail account.

Comment

Pay for cruise ,pack case, print sea pass, make sure you take passport and credit card ,Put all Paper work in case l,lock door and enjoy holiday ,What's hard about it....Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                Pay for cruise ,pack case, print sea pass, make sure you take passport and credit card ,Put all Paper work in case l,lock door and enjoy holiday ,What's hard about it....Taffy
                Oh I wish it was that simple Taffy, but I will try
                BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

No, nothing, Taffy............Until something goes wrong .....they used to call that going on "A wing and a prayer". Also known as "Up S***'s creek without a so and so paddle"......Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                    No, nothing, Taffy............Until something goes wrong .....they used to call that going on "A wing and a prayer". Also known as "Up S***'s creek without a so and so paddle"......Neil
                    I do not go on holiday planning for it to go wrong Neil ,and according to Aviva only about 3% of their customers make a claim ??
                    Always a way round the problem ,and in most cases help freely available...Taffy
                    ​Taffy

Comment

I do not go on holiday planning for it to go wrong Neil ,and according to Aviva only about 3% of their customers make a claim ??
                      Always a way round the problem ,and in most cases help freely available...Taffy
                      Taffy, to some degree I am in agreement for a "whizz around the Med", but for those of us who go 'long haul' for a cruise, then making sure you dot the I's across the T's as far as insurance is concerned is imperative. In many of these 'far off lands', help is not freely available, and stepping of a boat or plane with anything less than ten or fifteen grands worth of credit card(s) availability could be regarded as bloody foolhardy.

In the event of accident, wave your insurance policy in front of some nations and the only thing you are likely to bring on is fit of hysterics. Credit Card is king in these situations, so make sure you have enough credit to cover any eventuality. Worry about claiming later, much later.............Wilba
                      Last edited by Wilba; 13th August 2016, 07:29 PM.
                      Wilba

Comment

At the end of a cruise when I am packing to come home I make a list of things I did not wear!! Also a list of items, toiletries to be replaced.
                        Then when I get home I replenish these into a drawer in a spare room so I am ready for the next cruise.

I also make a list of the day/ evening clothes I am taking and which shoes bag to wear this helps in trying to keep accessories down.

We take copies of all cards, passports etc. Invaluable when we had our passports stolen. Now we only carry a photocopy with us in port.

Likewise when a cruise is booked I make a to do list and cross items off as parking, taxis are booked. Essentials when we may have several trips booked, Our next trip is for 35 days and we had to extend our sons insurance as he was limited to 30 days. As he is in rented accommodation he will also have to inform his letting agents in case of any emergency at his flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                          Taffy, to some degree I am in agreement for a "whizz around the Med", but for those of us who go 'long haul' for a cruise, then making sure you dot the I's across the T's as far as insurance is concerned is imperative. In many of these 'far off lands', help is not freely available, and stepping of a boat or plane with anything less than ten or fifteen grands worth of credit card(s) availability could be regarded as bloody foolhardy.

In the event of accident, wave your insurance policy in front of some nations and the only thing you are likely to bring on is fit of hysterics. Credit Card is king in these situations, so make sure you have enough credit to cover any eventuality. Worry about claiming later, much later.............Wilba
                          Hi Wilba .
                          I am not suggesting anyone goes without insurance , but I have a 24 hour number to call in an emergency . I presume most insurers offer the same facility.
                          As Maggie found out you phone them and with a bit of luck they sort it out ...Taffy
                          ​Taffy

Comment

Hi Wilba .
                            I am not suggesting anyone goes without insurance , but I have a 24 hour number to call in an emergency . I presume most insurers offer the same facility.
                            As Maggie found out you phone them and with a bit of luck they sort it out ...Taffy
                            You have more faith in 24 hour Call Centres than I have Taffy.

If I was lying on a hospital gurney with life threatening trauma in many of these backwater countries, the last thing I would need is someone trying to negotiate a claim on my behalf.

Ask Neil what can happen in that kind of situation. Until they get their claws on your plastic, they won't even bother unwrapping the defibrillator out of its box.

We are very fortunate in the Western World when it comes to treatment being the initial priority. Other countries want to see the colour of your money before they begin treatment. Not great if you are in that Golden Hour situation............Wilba
                            Wilba

Comment

I concur with Wiba's post.

When I had the emergency gall bladder removal, the first thing they wanted was a payment which quickly escalated into a 3000 euro deposit after the op and as I reported another payment when I wanted out of that hospital to join the ship. The insurers were waiting for GP reports and although ultimately we got back every penny we will always travel now knowing we can cover any costs upfront.

At least we were in Europe, I dread to think what might have happened in some countries...Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X