• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinks package ! should I prepurchase ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinks package ! should I prepurchase ?

Hello to all

There are 3 of us criusing on RCL Allure of the seas in august and wondering if we should prepurchase the drinks packages before we go or to wait until we are on board.

Thanks

david

It makes no difference at all. I am surprised you have not already got a drinks package included as best part of the last 8 months or so most of the deals have included a drinks promo.

However, on embarkation you will have plenty of waiters offering the drinks package, sometime even before you board, in the embarkation lounge. Our golden rule of thumb is if you usually buy more than 6 drinks a day then thats the break even point, to make it worthwhile.

Comment

We booked last May with the free flights and then they changed to all inclusive after that we just wondered with doller as it is if it much differance .

Comment

They regularly update the prices in line with the exchange rate. They only up side to prepurchasing is you can cancel it up to 2 days prior to sail date. I have booked a drinks package before and then they brought out a promo with 15% off, so I simply canceled it, got a refund and rebooked it. Its just a case of can you be bothered to monitor it everyday.

Comment

There is no difference in cost between pre booking and purchasing on board. The big question is do you really need a package? We are on explorer in June also booked last May. Each time A.I has been offered since booking the prices have increased considerably.
          I sat last night with our itinerary and worked out our daily drinks consumption. I compared past on board spend bills with current bar prices etc. Working out six sea days and six port days with 4 long days off ship.
          we will save approx $300 by paying as we go along. It was an interesting exercise and I'm glad I did it.

Comment

I also did an interesting comparison on one of our cruises which was 10 nights. I bought a classic drinks package, my OH went PAYG. Guess who won.....?

I was out of pocket and bearing in mind I had what I wanted, when I wanted and so did my OH. The drinks I had still appeared on the on screen tv account albeit at zero cost, so it wasnt too difficult knowing the cost of the drinks to do a tally. I lost out I think from memory by about £200. So even though you try to reason it out, it doesnt always work out the way you think..like Hawkinsmg has said on port days you will drink less anyway. I suppose really what makes it a no brainer for us is we are Diamond members and get a two hour pre dinner drinks complimentary anyway.

Comment

Hi all
              Is Royal Caribbean drinks package just Beer and Wine?
              Not much good if you like a G & T.
              Can you buy drink packages on board on RC?

I was on the Ventura last week for a 7 night cruise and as my wife only drinks wine i bought the 5 bottle premium package
              for i think about £90,,she had one glass at dinner,then took the rest of the bottle out of the MDR with her.That was her boxed off.
              When i looked at the final bill,,,,boy,i must have swallowed some,,,,mind you,the Gray Goose vodka is good,never mind the Guinness and Costa Coffee!!!!

To be honest,our drinks bill wasn't much different to the near £400 i use to pay on Thomson for A\I....but on P&O they are branded drinks,,,
              JC
              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 4th May 2015, 05:46 PM.
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

My issue with the AI is all in the cabin have to have it, for me it would definitely be worth it but the OH is almost teetotal. So no way the AI would ever be worth having

Comment

It all depends on how much you drink , we like wine with our food and a couple of drinks each while watching a show , we don,t like to drink too much every day as we know it's not good for our health. so we need to work out if it's worth taking out a package on our 9day cross Atlantic cruise coming up at the end of October too.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi all
                    Is Royal Caribbean drinks package just Beer and Wine?
                    Not much good if you like a G & T.
                    Can you buy drink packages on board on RC?

I was on the Ventura last week for a 7 night cruise and as my wife only drinks wine i bought the 5 bottle premium package
                    for i think about £90,,she had one glass at dinner,then took the rest of the bottle out of the MDR with her.That was her boxed off.
                    When i looked at the final bill,,,,boy,i must have swallowed some,,,,mind you,the Gray Goose vodka is good,never mind the Guinness and Costa Coffee!!!!

To be honest,our drinks bill wasn't much different to the near £400 i use to pay on Thomson for A\I....but on P&O they are branded drinks,,,
                    JC

The cruise we've got booked for next year on Navigator includes beer, wine and spirits. What you can't do on RC is take a couple of litre bottles of spirits on board to drink in your cabin. We did this on Ventura and enjoyed a tipple or two on the balcony.

The drinks on P&O aren't cheap any more but instead of having 18% service charge added,we get a percentage knocked off for the loyalty club.................HT

Comment

Originally posted by SUE, LLANELLI View Post
                      It all depends on how much you drink , we like wine with our food and a couple of drinks each while watching a show , we don,t like to drink too much every day as we know it's not good for our health. so we need to work out if it's worth taking out a package on our 9day cross Atlantic cruise coming up at the end of October too.

I would have thought that a TA was a good bet for having the drinks package as you'll be on the ship all the time. You'll probably have something to drink in the daytime as well..........HT

Comment

The Royal Caribbean drinks package can be quite good, as long as you go for either the Premium or the Ultimate package (the difference being the ultimate gives you hot drinks too).

I found that the convenience of the drinks package and not having to worry about it made a big difference to me. I tried to add up the cost of all of the drinks I had (this was on Celebrity) but struggled to make a fair comparison... I was having drinks that I was enjoying but would never have had without a package. For example I was getting freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning which on an individual basis is quite expensive so I'd never have paid cash for it. Similarly I'd keep a little supply of Vitamin Water in my stateroom fridge, or take one ashore. I'd never have done this without the package, but that doesn't mean it didn't add value to my holiday.

I'm fairly sold on drinks packages now and I love being able to try a new cocktail or a new spirit and not having to really worry if I'll like it or not - I can just order something else.

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                        My issue with the AI is all in the cabin have to have it, for me it would definitely be worth it but the OH is almost teetotal. So no way the AI would ever be worth having
                        This is absolutely not the case anymore, at least with Royal Caribbean (OPs line) and Celebrity. On both cruises I have had a drinks package and my cabin mate has not.

I understand on Royal Caribbean that this is a reasonably recent change. My experience was with a friend on Splendour of the Seas in November.

Comment

Originally posted by SUE, LLANELLI View Post
                          Your right Sue, it does all depend on how much ,and what you drink?
                          I never considered them good value for us ,even the non alcoholic was poor value.
                          We do enjoy a drink and buy as what we want never got anywhere near break even ,I have seen one or two trying to beat the package ,as a convenient way pre paying for your drinks then its a good idea....Taffy
                          ​Taffy

Comment

Since My OH is a lightweight it never works for us if we both have to pay or the cruise fare is inflated because it is included.

Not all cruise lines all in the cabin have to have it.

My friends just got of RCI and one had the drink package one the water package.

Both Princess & Celebrity allow you to chose which packages you want or not as individuals.

NCL it is all in the cabin.

Be careful of UK offices and TAs they will tell you all have to have it when it is not true.

As for value it really is down to your drinking profile, type of cruise(sea days over port intensive) and who we travel with, alone(together) then we often drink a lot less than when with certain groups of our cruise friends, even then when only one might be needed and we have to buy 2, PAYG or alternative like a wine package works better for us

Last cruise with friends, drinks and specialty dining was included, it cost us $17pppd to go to the OV cabin with the packages over the cheapest option of an inside, a no brainer as the cruise fare was not inflated for the packages.

Cruise was $625(£400pp) for 10 days, face value of the packages was $785pp inc grats on drinks.

A lot of specialty diners and a few late nights managed to clock up $1900 of charges included by the package, leaving us with $350 for service charges and extra tips. 12 days on the same ship and we hit around $1200 all in so paying for the packages not worth it.

When included, the signature cocktail at the start of dinner a couple of glasses of wine, port with the cheese and may be a Brandy don't hurt the wallet.
                            For our next trip I am looking at it now, 12n princess round Britain 2 sea days , the package will cost £33.81pppd at todays rate that is $45pppd menu prices up to $10pdrink(40% of bottles up to $100), $51inc tips($614 total), 6 drinks per day over $7.50.
                            Princes package also include water coffees and some other specialty extra charge stuff.
                            (The 40% off bottles is handy as you can buy for others)

Last year same trip we spent $900 total, $276 grats, $100 spa, $524 drinks and most of that was a wine bottle package.
                            Looking at the invoice no drinks bought(on ship) for 5 days other than the wine can't remember why.

Conclusion not decided yet, only need to buy one package, could have a dry healthier cruise(beer ashore is good on a British cruise anyway) chuck a wine box in the case, driving so can load up with sparking water, have the odd drink around the ship, or a wet one throw in some waters and coffees probably only need 4-5 drinks on average, quite like the 24k margarita and there are some nice wines included.
                            As an aside looking through our cruise invoices our 10n round Britain on princess in 2006 cost £150pp more than the 12n we are doing this year. That trip 2006 we had onboard of $770inc tips, year before 2005 on board was $660.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                              I would have thought that a TA was a good bet for having the drinks package as you'll be on the ship all the time. You'll probably have something to drink in the daytime as well..........HT
                              Kick start with a bloody mary or a mimosa with breakfast, wine with a long lunch......
                              if the package include things like coffees, juices, water that are charged you can soon make up a few $ with non alcohol options.

TAs are much easier to break even without trying too hard, that why some lines exclude the TAs from the offers.

Also depends if you get free stuff, RCI diamond up get open bar 5:00-8:30 anyway along with 3 drinks on their cards you can collect those on the way to dinner at 8:30 and you don't need anything else all day.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X