• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when is a child no longer a child and an adult really an adult?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when is a child no longer a child and an adult really an adult?

My youngest daughter is currently 15. We took her best friend, same age born just 4 days apart, on our last cruise and she is booked to come with us on our next cruise.
    Aged 15 they pay adult prices for their fare but are not allowed in adult only areas on R.C.I ships e.g solarium and cantilever whirlpools which are for over 16's.
    We would love to try a return t.a on qm2. But we can't go on a cunard ship visit as they are for over 16's only.
    I'd like to do a round trip caribbean from Southampton (discussing this on another thread). P&O mainly use their adult only ships for this. 15 year olds pay adult fare but when are they allowed on an adult only ship?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying kids should have access all areas. I'm debating paying an adult price for a child which suits the cruise company in one way but not another?

Any opinions? X

RCI do not have child prices. They have 3rd and 4th person fares irrespective of age, so your argument does not stand up with regards to RCI..............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

Eighteen is generally recognised by most countries/states as being the legal age. Then you have the variances for certain activities, buying/consumption of alcohol being a prime example.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        RCI do not have child prices. They have 3rd and 4th person fares irrespective of age, so your argument does not stand up with regards to RCI..............Wilba
        R.C.I say on their website that a child is six months to 11years and an adult is 12 years plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
          R.C.I say on their website that a child is six months to 11years and an adult is 12 years plus.
          Those age groups may well be for the purpose of childrens activities whilst onboard, but in terms of fare payment, my first post still stands, a child of any age is a 3rd or 4th passenger............Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

Those age groups may well be for the purpose of childrens activities whilst onboard, but in terms of fare payment, my first post still stands, a child of any age is a 3rd or 4th passenger............Wilba
            Same on Celebrity and I thin it was with NCL, MSC and Costa do kids prices up to 18

Comment

Also if the child is a second passenger, that is one adult and one child, then often two adult fares are charged.
              Brian

Comment

Welcome to my world! 12 year olds (and over) are not adult, but are charged an adult fare, not only on cruises but on most holidays or packages. I have had many a frank discussion on the subject with passengers on ships who think that kids pay less and most do not realise that they (or their parents) have paid the same price as an adult.

A perfect case in point was on our last Princess cruise was when our 12 year old wasn't allowed to take part in Wii bowling (with me) because it was "for adults only"

Most "family friendly" ships aren't family friendly at all, they are child tolerant with child facilities, but try and spend some time doing organised activities with your "young adults" and you've no chance. Kids club is for kids only (no adults allowed) and Ent Team organised activities are adult only, so unless you make your own entertainment never the twain shall meet.

And people wonder why tweenagers are "left" to roam the ship, too old for kids activities and too young for adult entertainment.

I feel sorry for the two 15 year old girls, too old to be seen in kids club, too uncool to hang around with parents and independent enough for some passengers to moan about "kids" roaming the ship, that's why most congregate in groups and hang out in stairwells and corners of restaurants. It's about time cruise ships rethought their tweenagers arrangements and charge accordingly.

Comment

When booking RCI on line it does ask how many adults and how many age 11 and under. However the price is no different if you put in 4 adults. Wilba is correct in that it is purely a 3rd /4th Passenger price regardless of age. I suspect that the age question more relates to manifest numbers as they are only allowed to carry a certain number in each age group.

Comment

RCI recently tried to charge £80 tips for my 18 month old niece. Her grandad objected and the charge was removed. Obviously computers don't take age into account.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                      Welcome to my world! 12 year olds (and over) are not adult, but are charged an adult fare, not only on cruises but on most holidays or packages. I have had many a frank discussion on the subject with passengers on ships who think that kids pay less and most do not realise that they (or their parents) have paid the same price as an adult.

A perfect case in point was on our last Princess cruise was when our 12 year old wasn't allowed to take part in Wii bowling (with me) because it was "for adults only"

Most "family friendly" ships aren't family friendly at all, they are child tolerant with child facilities, but try and spend some time doing organised activities with your "young adults" and you've no chance. Kids club is for kids only (no adults allowed) and Ent Team organised activities are adult only, so unless you make your own entertainment never the twain shall meet.

And people wonder why tweenagers are "left" to roam the ship, too old for kids activities and too young for adult entertainment.

I feel sorry for the two 15 year old girls, too old to be seen in kids club, too uncool to hang around with parents and independent enough for some passengers to moan about "kids" roaming the ship, that's why most congregate in groups and hang out in stairwells and corners of restaurants. It's about time cruise ships rethought their tweenagers arrangements and charge accordingly.
                      This is along the lines I was thinking. The kind of adult pricing but not adult activities. Although please don't feel sorry for them, they have a whale of a time, enjoy each other's company but certainly don't hang round stairwells etc.

Comment

Think about it as 'full fare' rather than 'adult fare'. Some teenagers are the equal of adults (physically) and should probably consume as much in terms of food and service as adults without the obvious benefit of making a profit from them in alcohol sales.

Simples - Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

You have given me food for thought. As an adult passenger travelling with no children I have often been annoyed by the behaviour of 'tweenagers' hanging around stair wells usually towards the end of a cruise, however I appreciate it can be very difficult for parents keeping young people amused on a cruise that does not always cater for their needs and I am also aware that young people express themselves in different ways, not intending to offend. While there can be no excuse for bad behaviour I feel that most young people and their parents are respectful of others, unfortunately they are tarnished by the behaviour of the few who can be very unruly and whose parents couldn't care less either about the safety of their own children or other people. I understand your frustration at being charged adult rates but not receiving adult benefits, however the cruises I have witnessed most unruly behaviour from young people have been those that have offered special deals for 'children'. Very sorry that you, as a seemingly caring parent, have to suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty, Bishop Auckland View Post
                            You have given me food for thought. As an adult passenger travelling with no children I have often been annoyed by the behaviour of 'tweenagers' hanging around stair wells usually towards the end of a cruise, however I appreciate it can be very difficult for parents keeping young people amused on a cruise that does not always cater for their needs and I am also aware that young people express themselves in different ways, not intending to offend. While there can be no excuse for bad behaviour I feel that most young people and their parents are respectful of others, unfortunately they are tarnished by the behaviour of the few who can be very unruly and whose parents couldn't care less either about the safety of their own children or other people. I understand your frustration at being charged adult rates but not receiving adult benefits, however the cruises I have witnessed most unruly behaviour from young people have been those that have offered special deals for 'children'. Very sorry that you, as a seemingly caring parent, have to suffer.
                            Hi thanks for your comment. Believe me we don't suffer and our girls are as good as gold. It's just being responsible parents telling a 15 year old that they can't go in a whirlpool that's for over 16's when they've paid full fare in a tad annoying. I was just using this as an example. Irresponsible parents wouldn't know or care that their 12 year old's were in said whirlpools!

No one has commented on my other example that we can't go on a cunard taster day as only over 16's are allowed. But we'd like to take a peep before committing to 15 days plus on a t.a with qm2. Mmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                              No one has commented on my other example that we can't go on a cunard taster day as only over 16's are allowed. But we'd like to take a peep before committing to 15 days plus on a t.a with qm2. Mmmmm
                              Judging from your responses you are obviously good parents and I would suggest quite capable of making a decision on behalf of your 15 year old.

I wouldn't feel the need to take my children on a taster day, I would be capable of making a decision on their behalf, plus if you choose to take your child then it will be a complete surprise when she boards and explores, a pre visit would take away some of the magic for her.

Plus I'm sure YOU'RE paying and it's up to you whether she goes or not, personally I couldn't leave mine at home (nor would I wish to)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X