• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Timer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Timer

Hi all. Hubby and I are looking to book a cruise asap for January/February, 7 - 10 days, probably Canaries/nth Africa - as warm as possible for the time of year without long haul flights.
    We have no experience at all of cruises and would appreciate advice and recommendations.

Hubby has found some likely looking cruises on
    www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk (http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk)

I'm inclined to get a bit claustraphobic so think an upgrade to an outside cabin could be worth it - what do others think?

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Linda

I'm inclined to get a bit claustraphobic so think an upgrade to an outside cabin could be worth it - what do others think?

Hello Linda

If you are inclined towards claustrophobia ( as am I ) then take an outside cabin and if not too much more expensive, take a balcony.

Enjoy your cruise.
    Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 28th December 2009, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda, IOW View Post
      Hi all. Hubby and I are looking to book a cruise asap for January/February, 7 - 10 days, probably Canaries/nth Africa - as warm as possible for the time of year without long haul flights.
      We have no experience at all of cruises and would appreciate advice and recommendations.

Hubby has found some likely looking cruises on
      www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk (http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk)

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Linda
      Hi There,

If you can either get an ouside cabin or a balcony cabin, also get a few quotes including this company, make sure everything is included, there might even be a free bus service to the port, also remember the little extras, Gratuites (contraversial subject) they might also be included,, as for cabins, the best is midships incase of rough seas, you will have a great time, but get a few quotes :D

Comment

Virgin do not have a great reputaion with cruises. Why not try a quote from this web site? Do bear in mind that the differnt cruise lines offer different experiences. Most ships are so big these days you will definately not feel trapped!
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

you can practice on the Red funnel line :D

Just do a bit of research the times you are looking at will be last min deals very soon. Good luck

Comment

Ocean View cabins look like this.

Caribbean Princess cabin P241

The window makes a huge difference.

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies. I certainly didn't realise gratuities and/or bus pickups were something to negotiate as part of the deal. No chance to practice with those on Red Funnel.

Comment

Comment

You would need to be an alcoholic to drink your way through the package as for flights well talk to the number at the top of the page or to your agent. you can also do cruise and stay :D

Comment

You will only need euros for the Colourful Coasts so I would suggest getting them from the Post Office before you go (better rates than on board).

Don't bother with the Drinks package unless you drink copious amounts ...drinks are very reasonable on Thomson ships and no service charge on top....all tips/gratuities are included in the cost.

I would chat to Thomson about flights....although I've looked in the brochure I have and there is the option of joining the ship at Madeira (on a Monday to Monday cruise) where the return flight is 1715..it is also an hour less than the flight to Tenerife....although it is only from 15 Feb - 19 April.....Bournemouth would be preferable to Gatwick in my opinion...we used to live in Fareham and always preferred Bournemouth for a nice calm, easy, journey and check in.....

Hope this helps a bit...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've had another look at the Thomson website and although the fly to/from Madeira/Bournemouth cruises have a good return flight, the departure is 8.40 which = 4.30 ferry Yarmouth/Lymington. If that ferry doesn't run due to bad weather/other Wightlink reasons, we miss our holiday. A Bournemouth departure of 14.10 gives much more flexibility but returning at 23.50 also means hanging around in Lymington and hoping the 3.45 am isn't cancelled. One of the problems of living on the South Island.:D

I'll chat to the sales dept.

Thanks again.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Linda, IOW View Post
                            Thanks for the replies. I've had another look at the Thomson website and although the fly to/from Madeira/Bournemouth cruises have a good return flight, the departure is 8.40 which = 4.30 ferry Yarmouth/Lymington. If that ferry doesn't run due to bad weather/other Wightlink reasons, we miss our holiday. A Bournemouth departure of 14.10 gives much more flexibility but returning at 23.50 also means hanging around in Lymington and hoping the 3.45 am isn't cancelled. One of the problems of living on the South Island.:D

I'll chat to the sales dept.

Thanks again.
                            Think of the advantages a good vineyard for a start :D

I live on an island overrun by off Landers in the summer but real community lots of hide holes for the locals

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X