• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello and Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and Help

We are going on our first cruise on 4th March '10 to celebrate our Ruby wedding. On board the Celebration on the Thomson Red Sea Magic cruise.
    We are not very good sailors, so does anyone know what the sea state is likely to be in that week?
    We are on deck 3 outside cabin 536, should we be alright there?
    We will probably have many more questions, so hope you guys and gals can help us old timers.
    Last edited by JC, St. Austell; 27th December 2009, 06:40 PM.

All I can say is Congratulations. We have never been there. There is a wealth of info. on here. You will get all your answers. Have a great cruise!
    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Hi, I did this cruise one Christmas time and the seas were fine, so I guess you will be O.K too. You cabin is low and amidships, so pretty stable. You are also not far from the ships medical centre, anyway! Take some travel sickness tablets with you (from Boots etc.). If you do feel really bad (unlikely), the ships Doc can give you a 'magic injection' - it's well worth it. The ship is 'older' but charming and Thomson's on board experience is a really good one. The ports are rather ugly and industrial so make good use of the excursions or relax on board the ship. Enjoy!
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Congratulations JC ! The thrill of boarding a ship never changes whether it is your first cruise or the tenth , not many experiences equal that.

Have a wonderful time !

Comment

another question

I said I'd be pestering you ! The price includes gratuities on board ship. Does this mean that we don't tip anyone?

Comment

congratulations !!! hope u have a great time

still choosing what type of cruise l want

Comment

We're not far from you are we??? we've done this cruise twice and as Malcolm says the ports are industrial so you do need to make use of the ships excursions or enjoy the facilities on board while everyone else is ashore!!!!
              tips are included in the fare so you are not expected to leave any further tips....but alot of people do if they get good service....for a weeks cruise we would probably leave the cabin steward 10-15 pounds (on the last morning) if he/she did a good job and about the same for the waiters (on the last night) if you have the same ones every night...but they don't expect it.

We usually take Stugeron (available from Boots chemist) with us which works well (as we have just discovered on a rather rough Transatlantic crossing on Oriana !!) but we have only had slightly choppy seas in the Red Sea ...not rough....

We will be preparing to board Spirit (sister ship to Celebration) from Cyprus at around the same time!

congratulations on your Ruby Wedding perhaps you can go to the Rose Red City of Petra to celebrate !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JC, St. Austell View Post
                I said I'd be pestering you ! The price includes gratuities on board ship. Does this mean that we don't tip anyone?
                Only if you want to :D
                We have been on the Thomson Spirit had a great trip. Refreshing to find all the normal rules relaxed so could carry a bottle or two back onboard to drink in the cabin. Service in the dinning room was slow as the crew entertained you but hey it gave you time to chat with the other people on the table and there is nowhere to go except the bar so better to dine in comfort and enjoy the food. To many ships think they are McDonalds. The crew is very relaxed and has time to chat without the normal give me a tip line. You have picked a great place to start cruising. Enjoy :D

Comment

The price includes gratuities on board ship.
                  Does this mean that we don't tip anyone?
                  Unless you're destitute pensioners
                  you might want to press a Fiver into the palm of this and that person.

Be brave. Show them wot Brits are made of.

It also doesn't hurt to assist with the economic recovery..
                  and the young ppl who work hard on cruise ships
                  probably need it more than you do.
                  ;)
                  Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

The price includes gratuities on board ship. Does this mean that we don't tip anyone?
                    In my opinion 'yes' you do not need to tip - unless you really feel someone deserves extra.
                    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 28th December 2009, 11:36 AM. Reason: error
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X