• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice wanted

I am going to book my first cruise and was wondering which part of the ship is best for an inside cabin as I am worried about sea sickness?

Originally posted by kjb254, Birmingham View Post
    I am going to book my first cruise and was wondering which part of the ship is best for an inside cabin as I am worried about sea sickness?
    Anywhere near the middle is best, but on modern ships this is not such a problem.

Try wrist bands from Boots/Supermarkets or travel shops for mild relief, or tablets from reception on most lines failing that a jab fro Dr on board in very bad cases.

You can also get patches from your GP before you go, if you are really worried.
    Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Lower deck for you.

Midships -and on a lower deck.

Take along with you
      Ginger Ale to drink, Ginger biscuits
      ginger pills too if you think you need them

Ginger anything helps.
      It's a great stomach settler
      the Chinese have known it for thousands of years.
      ;)
      Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

If it is any re-assurance my OH feels seasick on the canal! but has always felt ok on cruise ships, they are very stable. The others have given good advice, it is as well to be prepared and take their suggestions ..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
          Midships -and on a lower deck.

Take along with you
          Ginger Ale to drink, Ginger biscuits
          ginger pills too if you think you need them

Ginger anything helps.
          It's a great stomach settler
          the Chinese have known it for thousands of years. ;)
          Hi
          Was on Island Escape 3 weeks ago + had 2 horrendous days with high seas + gale force winds.
          Reception handed out i believe over 1000 (2 each) tablets (50p for 2) to be taken with Ginger Ale + dry biscuits,i think the bars ran out of Ginger Ale.
          Most people i spoke to sweared by the tablets but whatever deck they where on seemed to make no difference.
          JC
          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Ship happens!

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Was on Island Escape 3 weeks ago + had 2 horrendous days
            with high seas + gale force winds.
            Reception handed out i believe over 1000 (2 each) tablets (50p for 2)
            to be taken with Ginger Ale + dry biscuits,i think the bars ran out of Ginger Ale.
            Most people i spoke to swore by the tablets
            but whatever deck they where on seemed to make no difference.
            You describe extraordinary conditions!

Comment

Midships is always best. Wouldnt know about inside cabins. Outside has always been better, at least you can see the horizon. My OH. was often off colour. Tried the wrist bands, didnt work. They did for some who swore by them. Said they didnt feel off colour at all! But considering the sea was like a millpond I'm not suprised. Our Daughter who has just been on her 5th. cruise in a balcony cabin was fine. Her 1st 3 cruises she had what she called waltzer belly. Never had it since, and the last cruise the cabin was at the stern. My OH. has now got his sea legs. In my opinion because we always have a balcony cabin. Dont know the reason why some do get seasick and others dont. But think the advice about ginger in any shape or form is a good idea. Hope you have a trouble free cruise.
              sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

First advice is avoid an inside cabin. The Mumfords advice is good. Also keep eating solids.

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my message. I have booked the Costa Deliziosa cruise from Dubai on 4th April and am really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                    First advice is avoid an inside cabin. The Mumfords advice is good. Also keep eating solids.
                    Bananas! Richard. Thats what some of the crew told us when my OH felt off it on one of our first cruises. (I have to chuckle to myself when typing this reply, sounds as if I am getting on at you) But you did say solids. Not sure if they work but folks could try them.x
                    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by the mumfords, Nr. rotherham View Post
                      Midships is always best. Wouldnt know about inside cabins. Outside has always been better, at least you can see the horizon. My OH. was often off colour. Tried the wrist bands, didnt work. They did for some who swore by them. Said they didnt feel off colour at all! But considering the sea was like a millpond I'm not suprised. Our Daughter who has just been on her 5th. cruise in a balcony cabin was fine. Her 1st 3 cruises she had what she called waltzer belly. Never had it since, and the last cruise the cabin was at the stern. My OH. has now got his sea legs. In my opinion because we always have a balcony cabin. Dont know the reason why some do get seasick and others dont. But think the advice about ginger in any shape or form is a good idea. Hope you have a trouble free cruise.
                      Yes, lots of folk swear by the wristbands but they don't do a thing for me. Drugs, that's what works for me - Dramamine, Bonine and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                        The Mumfords advice is good. Also keep eating solids.
                        This I find very difficult not to
                        www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

And green apples, apparently.
                          Even the smell of them works.

Yes, it helps to keep a tummy about half-full.
                          Motion sickness is tied in with hunger
                          and feels bloody awful when you're hungry
                          so go eat something.

Keep it half full at all times.
                          Great excuse, huh?

Tell me you'll miss me, as I'll miss you.

Comment

Hi Aplmac. Did you see the experiment on Mythbusters that proved ginger works?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                              Hi Aplmac. Did you see the experiment on Mythbusters that proved ginger works?
                              Ginger in what form?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X