• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltic Cruise booking Jitters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baltic Cruise booking Jitters

My wife and I always cruise to warm destinations, (Med, Canaries, Red Sea etc) However after a little preasure from my wife we have booked the Eclipse to the baltic from Southampton on the 21st july. I now find myself having second thoughts particularly with regard to the weather (can stay at home for cold and rain) We have sailed on the Eclipse and loved it so no worries here, Is the poor weather compensated for by the ports and sites associated with the cruise.

We were in St Petersburg at the end of June last year and it was very hot - over 30degC. Don't worry about the weather although like in UK you can get bad days. All the ports in the Baltic are very good especially St Petersburg.
    Brian

Comment

We went in May and the weather was lovely, also the good thing about going from Southampton you can put in some extra warmer clothes just in case. July fingers crossed you should be warm at least may be a bit of rain, but the ports are so good it something that just has to be done!............................................. ..........................................Carol

Comment

The ports of call are well worth visiting. The weather, as Brian says, is not unlike UK and can be changeable. However, to reiterate, the ports of call are superb.

A further however, should you be a devout sun worshipper and like to lie by the pool or the beach with your mind a complete blank then the Baltics are not for you. You do need to at least have 'some' interest in culture to enjoy the Baltics.

I would highly recommend the ballet in St. Petersburg. I'm not a ballet fan but the evening was lovely experience - and cheap. (I did feel that half way through a little 'song' was needed - but that's just me being a Philistine.)

Gdansk is also a very interesting city and Stockholm was beautiful. The whole itinerary will not disappoint.

cheers
        Harvey

Comment

I agree that the ports are fantastic. We went in August and found Warnemubde, Tallin, Gdansk, Stockholm and Copenhagen hot and sunny. It rained in Helsinki for an afternoon and St. P was grey and cloudy but not cold. I never wore the jacket I took but did wear a cardi on the deck in the evenings. The ports are worth the changeable weather and the send-offs from some of the ports had me in tears. It was a fantastic experience. Oh, and I managed Movies Under The Stars until 11pm with just a cardi or pashmina.
          Forget about the weather: take it as it comes and you'll have an unforgettable experience.
          Angela

Comment

Dress in layers.. the mornings can be cold and late afternoon can be... take a pac a mac as it can suddenly down pour.... take a zippy fleece for sailaway.. again late afternoon even on a hot day the temp can drop quite a lot.. and the breeze across the deck can make it feel cold.
            A pashmin is a great thing to carry with you.......... it works as a scarf and keeps the sea breeze off your neck etc when out on deck.

Comment

We went to the Baltic in mid-July 2011 on Cunard. It rained from the time we boarded until after Copenhagen! Stockholm, Helsinki and St P were hot and sunny- St P almost too much. Talin was cooler but OK. But well worth putting up with the weather. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Pont, Cardiff View Post
                We have sailed on the Eclipse and loved it so no worries here, Is the poor weather compensated for by the ports and sites associated with the cruise.
                1) How do you know the weather will be poor? Contrary to popular myths, it does not snow in the Baltic region in the summer!;)

2) Without doubt it is the most fascinating itinerary that I have done (inc. Med, Carib, Canaries, Alaska).

3) There is more to life (and holidays) than sunshine!

4) Great line, great ship, fascinating ports - what's NOT to like?
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We had mixed weather in July around the Baltic. Mostly lovely weather, but rain in Stockholm and Rostock. It was very hot in St Petersburg and there is no shade if you are queueing to get in to Peterhof etc. Take a sun hat! Judith

Comment

We went in April and I was worried it would be cold, it was wonderful, the sun shone throughout the cruise, but beware the wind , we enderd up with wind burnt faces.CG
                    sigpic

Comment

Many thanks to all for your kind contributions.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X