• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your next cruise; .... location, price deal, time constrictions, or cruise line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your next cruise; .... location, price deal, time constrictions, or cruise line?

What will be the criteria that will most influence your next cruise.

Will you be concerned mainly about:

The locations or the itinerary?
    Will you be looking for places you haven’t been before or new to cruise lines or is there somewhere you would like to revisit?

The Price or a Special Deal?
    With a lower demand for cruises and the need for cruise lines to fill their ships there has, one would imagine, a load of deals and special offers to come up as soon as we clear this holiday buying time that occurs about now every year. Will you be looking for that brilliant offer that will allow you to go at a bargain price and can you hold off until the real beauty comes along?

Are you Time Constricted?
    Will you have a particular period when a holiday is available to you and how long can you hold off in the hope of a good price? Do you book irrespective of the price because getting what you want at the time you want it is imperative?

Does it have to be THAT cruise line as that’s what you like?
    Do you tend to go with one cruise line and therefore concentrate all your energies into searching for a cruise, deal or no deal, with that cruise line? Have you decided that there is another cruise line or two or three that you would like to try out and at that rate will you be looking at solely those cruise lines or will will you be using some or all of the above to create your next booking?
    Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 6th January 2012, 03:32 PM.

Our next cruise in February is the itinerary we were researching, the price is excellent and the ship is, well, wow

Comment

In many respects Neil, its a combination of all the above with some additional factors.

We've recently booked a cruise for 2012.

We have cruised with the cruiseline previously and were comfortable to cruise with them again. Although we did study other Lines seriously this time.

We have done almost the same itinerary previously although there are 2 ports we have not experienced, but I would not have been bothered if the itinerary was identical to a previous cruise.

The price was very important. We really wanted to cruise in the school holidays but with RCI out of Southampton the cost currently is beyond my comfort zone. This prompted us to seriously look at flying and to look at other lines. The result of that search led to an October sailing taking in part of half term but requiring some time out of school (with permission). Yes I know I am a bad parent for taking Oliver (5) out of school but I'm confident that it will not be detrimental to his overall education. Please forgive me.

Time constraints are a real issue. School holidays and restrictions to when and how much time you can take out of work coupled with the cruise calender are difficult to manage. For example if you look at school half term for October 2012 most schools finish Friday 26th October returning 5th November. RCI IOTS (their flagship family focused ship based in UK) have a cruise 20th - 31st Oct and 31st - 10th Nov - straggling the holidays. Just one example and I'm sure there are others.

Its booked now and the price, even with RCI latest sales promotion, has now started to rise!!

Vinny
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Neil

The more cruises I undertake the less important the desination

Everybody is after a bargain but I generally prefer to book a cheaper cabin on an "upmarket" cruise line than a suite on what I would consider an inferior one.

I usually cruise in Feburary/March and again in October/November, out of choice.

I am not loyal to any cruise line but there are some I prefer to others (I rate Silversea very highly, followed by Seabourn). I may book a cruise with Azamara or Oceania in future both cruise lines have been well reviewed on this site and since I don't mind having a small cabin I will hopefully still recieve good service and food (my most important criteria for a good cruise) and pay less than that with the other lines mentioned.
        Last edited by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 6th January 2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Having tried most lines, and given our savings seem to reduce quicker than ever now with the interest rates as they are. We are now booking only late deal cruises, settling for o/side cabins and have had three cruises under £75 pd of those we had one free upgrade to a balcony, the price savings pays for a couple of tours, the tips and part of our bar bill.

We really don't care who we sail with or where we go, as we have seen most places, just love cruising and meeting new people.
          Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

well so far my choice of cruise has been based on itinerary and/or weather, so a med. cruise in december would be unlikely!
            cruise possibilities for 2012 would include;
            the baltic/st.petersburg
            a cruise out of venice taking in santorini
            somewhere warm like the caribbean in winter, although the itineraries i've seen so far are a bit limited.
            being quite new to cruising, i still prefer port days to seadays.
            early booking v. late availability, well, it'a a minefield, isn't it, there were some great baltic bargains in 2011 but they clashed with family commitments!

Comment

Although the itinerary is quite interesting to us it's the ship which is our main criteria and at the moment, just one ship although we might try sister ships.
              Good price deal and booking long in advance? Have both.
              Dates? As long as we have nothing on, that's not a problem.

Comment

The price has a big part to play when we book our 2012 cruise .To start with we dont mind inside cabins , Next i would like to go to places that i havent been .Thinking about booking on Ventura for September for 17 nights .

Comment

I have booked a cruise this year based on date (1st Sep)- I will have just retired from teaching so an ideal time, Port - we wanted to leave from Southampton and cost. (we got a good early deal)
                  We will then want to go to the Caribbean next Winter and I am studying deals this year to give me an idea of when to book.
                  We are also looking for a last minute deal to go away with friends this Whit and that could be a short cruise, if the price was right.

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil Down, Southampton;358978]What will be the criteria that will most influence your next cruise.

Either the med yet again, we love it and can always find new things to see/do or the USA, we have been before but just love New York.
                    We are going to take a chance and wait for a good deal this year. We did three cruises last year totaling 34 Days, so if we miss out this year, there is always next year!

No, we can go at any time, although if the USA, November and December are out!

Will be looking at any of the Cunard ships & hoping to get a great deal in Princess Grill, fingers crossed
                    Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      What will be the criteria that will most influence your next cruise.

Will you be looking for places you haven’t been before or new to cruise lines or is there somewhere you would like to revisit?

With a lower demand for cruises and the need for cruise lines to fill their ships there has, one would imagine, a load of deals and special offers to come up as soon as we clear this holiday buying time that occurs about now every year. Will you be looking for that brilliant offer that will allow you to go at a bargain price and can you hold off until the real beauty comes along?

Will you have a particular period when a holiday is available to you and how long can you hold off in the hope of a good price? Do you book irrespective of the price because getting what you want at the time you want it is imperative?

Do you tend to go with one cruise line and therefore concentrate all your energies into searching for a cruise, deal or no deal, with that cruise line? Have you decided that there is another cruise line or two or three that you would like to try out and at that rate will you be looking at solely those cruise lines or will will you be using some or all of the above to create your next booking?
                      We have to go Gramping so it's the Ventura to the Canaries for us

No choice as we are just being taken along as baby sitters

Just have to spend time playing with my grandsons

It's a hard life, but hey someone has to do it

Comment

As I enter semi retirement I am determined to up the quality and reduce the amount of cruising in the forthcoming years.

I have had to dismiss a cracking deal on Azamara in March as we already have holidays booked in Feb and May, a cruiseline on my 'must do' bucket list. Flights & transfers, one night hotel in Barbados, 8 night cruise, outside cabin, grats paid, £1300......sick as a parrot to say the least.

Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Restricked to uk departures because of medical condition , not allowed to fly. would love to do some of the fly cruise & stay holidays
                          Last edited by andy mac, kilmarnock; 6th January 2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
                            In many respects Neil, its a combination of all the above with some additional factors.

We've recently booked a cruise for 2012.

We have cruised with the cruiseline previously and were comfortable to cruise with them again. Although we did study other Lines seriously this time.

We have done almost the same itinerary previously although there are 2 ports we have not experienced, but I would not have been bothered if the itinerary was identical to a previous cruise.

The price was very important. We really wanted to cruise in the school holidays but with RCI out of Southampton the cost currently is beyond my comfort zone. This prompted us to seriously look at flying and to look at other lines. The result of that search led to an October sailing taking in part of half term but requiring some time out of school (with permission). Yes I know I am a bad parent for taking Oliver (5) out of school but I'm confident that it will not be detrimental to his overall education. Please forgive me.

Time constraints are a real issue. School holidays and restrictions to when and how much time you can take out of work coupled with the cruise calender are difficult to manage. For example if you look at school half term for October 2012 most schools finish Friday 26th October returning 5th November. RCI IOTS (their flagship family focused ship based in UK) have a cruise 20th - 31st Oct and 31st - 10th Nov - straggling the holidays. Just one example and I'm sure there are others.

Its booked now and the price, even with RCI latest sales promotion, has now started to rise!!

Vinny
                            I know that teachers have a different attitude to you and I on the subject of children missing school time but I have always maintained that the compensating knowledge and experience gained on ventures like yours more than makes up for lessons lost and if you can get them to tell you what will be covered whilst you're away then so much the better.

Regards. ....Neil

Comment

These are exactly the kind of answers I was hoping for because these are from experienced cruises and newcomers can be overwhelmed by the huge list of cruises, prices, cabin types and....well... you know.... but they don't know and to see comprehensive joined up thinking written down should help them in their choice.

We are all used to making decisions about who, when, what and how to cruise and pick cruises but even we make mistakes so keep writing and keep saying how you choose. ....Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X