• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Botanical Gardens in Madeira

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botanical Gardens in Madeira

I am travelling on the IOS in February, rather than book an excursion I am looking to visit the Botanical Gardens myself. Does anyone know how long it would take to walk to the cable car from the port and is their a good website which would give me the route to walk

Thanks
    Roger

If I remeber correctly, it would probably take you about 20-30 mins or so to the cable car (that's if the shuttle boats still run across the harbour) You basically turn right along the seafront and keep going until you reach cable car . The ride up to Monte is amazing and the entrance to the gardens are just across the road. Then you can go down in a 'bread basket' or cable car . Enjoy!
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

There were very long queues in the morning so we gave it a miss.. walked around the flower market in town instead.. returned in the afternoon and there was NO BODY waiting ... so we went straight on the cable car.. up and to the gardens..

Comment

Yes you can walk if you are fit (25+ mins) or get a taxi/bus to the cable car station. It does get busy, but never mind. There is an Excellent Garden at the top. If you take another cable car (it takes you kind of half way down the other side) there is another Excellent Garden. It's very possible to do both in a day, in fact you should!

Return to the top by cable-car and then You can then get the 'sledge' down. It does not go right back to the town so you can walk back (30 mins?) to the ship or get a taxi.
        Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 3rd January 2012, 08:45 PM.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

we are doing Madeira next month any idea on prices of cable cars and is there a charge for the gardens

Comment

just got back from IOS in Madeira.. shuttle not too expensive and drops you at cable car worth it! ride down is good and cafe next to shuttle is fab.

Comment

Hi Here's a link to the website for the Botanical Gardens/Cable Car and the current prices. Have a great holiday

Welcome to the Madeira Botanical Garden Cable Car

Comment

If stuck, look out for the number 31a bus it drops you at the top end of the gardens and you can walk down (rather than up) normally long queues for cable car on sunny days.
                Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

The key is to look at what time the ships excursions are taking the cable car and just make sure that you get there 1/2 hour before them or wait and turn up an hour later when its quieter.

Comment

The gardens are lovely, and well worth a visit. I only took the basket ride down on my second visit to Funchal, and was glad that I did. Those guys do that day in and day out, so they do know what they're doing!
                    2018-
                    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you