• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to start?

Hubby wants to cruise Alaska, but will settle for Norwegian Fjords/Glaciers for our first cruise. Where do I start? Planning for June/July next year. Any help gratefully received.

Cruising for the first time

Originally posted by embee, blackburn View Post
    Hubby wants to cruise Alaska, but will settle for Norwegian Fjords/Glaciers for our first cruise. Where do I start? Planning for June/July next year. Any help gratefully received.
    Start with the ships that are sailing to the fjords in June/July then look at the prices and your budget read as many reviews to see what other people have experienced. Take a pinch of salt with some then see who is giving the best deal on price and onboard credit. Have fun!!

Comment

fjiords cruises

hi embee,i'm pretty new to this forum and have never cruised before. we're going on "ventura" to the fjiords in july 2010. scared stiff of flying,hence the cruise,but there are lots of similar cruises to the one we're taking. only problem for us is the journey south as the only cruiseline going from newcastle next year is Fred Olsen.been advised several times that they are mostly for over 50's so going with P and O. we're breaking the journey up by staying at a travelodge both ways as we'll have my 16 yr old daughter and her friend too. (God help us !!!!) anyway,shop around,get a few quotes,take your time weighing up the cruises and don't be afraid to ask questions !! hope you have a fab time,i'm sooooooo excited about ours.:p
      I'd rather be in my cosy bed !!!!!!!!:p

Comment

Hi beside the price decide what you want from the holiday eg dressing for diner, loads of kids on board,what kind of shows etc.lots of ships sail this route so be picky to your own needs.
        Which ever you choose you will have a great time good sailing

Comment

If Hubby wants glaciers, Norway has plenty to offer (and they're not as far north as some might think). I think we took these near Olden in the southern half of Norway:

And if it's adventure you want, how about Spitsbergen? It's very much closer to the North Pole than even the top of Alaska (nice to know we Europeans can do something better than the Americans)!

Comment

Any help gratefully received.
            Sorry, I forgot... There are more polar bears than people on Spitsbergen - so don't forget to pack a gun ;).

Comment

Thanks everyone, especially for the photos ........... looks fabulous, and a definite change from sun, sand and sea. Considering Cruise and Maritime's 12 night North Cape Cruise next June. Smaller ship will suit us. Anyone been on Marco Polo or Ocean Countess?

Comment

Thanks everyone, especially for the photos ........... looks fabulous, and a definite change from sun, sand and sea. Considering Cruise and Maritime's 12 night North Cape Cruise next June. Smaller ship will suit us. Anyone been on Marco Polo or Ocean Countess?
                Not me, but remember that Fred Olsen ships are Norwegian, small, sail from the UK, and frequently head north!

Comment

Hi Everyone I am booked on the Marco Polo Norwegian lights cruise March 2010 one of the places which we stop at overnight is ALTA this is before we make our way back down the Norwegian coast line. Has anyone done this trip in the past and has anyone booked their own excursions from there. I am looking for something along the lines of dog sleding or those ski bikes with a group out to see the lights sort of thing. I cannot find anything online so far therefore need help and advice from fellow sailors please.

Comment

You will see some fantastic scenery in Norway. Want to go again. Loved it. June 21st. is the longest day and the midnight sun is something else. I had to wear sunglasses while texting home at 12.30am. What a fabulous cruise! If you try Alaska first, make sure you do the fjords at least once. Have a super cruise.
                    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Hubby wants to cruise Alaska, but will settle for Norwegian Fjords/Glaciers for our first cruise.
                      I thought that Norway had better scenery than Alaska!
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

have a fab time

Originally posted by suzyq, west scotland View Post
                        hi embee,i'm pretty new to this forum and have never cruised before. we're going on "ventura" to the fjiords in july 2010. scared stiff of flying,hence the cruise,but there are lots of similar cruises to the one we're taking. only problem for us is the journey south as the only cruiseline going from newcastle next year is Fred Olsen.been advised several times that they are mostly for over 50's so going with P and O. we're breaking the journey up by staying at a travelodge both ways as we'll have my 16 yr old daughter and her friend too. (God help us !!!!) anyway,shop around,get a few quotes,take your time weighing up the cruises and don't be afraid to ask questions !! hope you have a fab time,i'm sooooooo excited about ours.:p
                        You will have a great time, haven't been there yet, but would love to, The Ventura is a good ship, has had alot of bad press from the P&O old timers, having been on Ventura it was really good and great for the kids, they will have a ball, one tip for you, for the main shows get there early or you may not get a seat,, have a great time :D

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X